breaking in your 1098 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:57 AM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

breaking in your 1098

I owned 3 zx10's (crashed 2) 1 i did by the book (boooooring), 1 on a dyno powerbank and 1 broke in on the road, but HARD for a 200 km and did a trackday immidiatly after that.

How are you gonna break in your 1098? I'll do it HARD!
Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:11 AM   #2

No ducatis in the registry

Tough one. Either ride it like it's stolen or by the manual. Going to be a game time decision.
2s-i Retro twin fin 5' 8"
www.warp9gaming.com
truenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 01:35 PM   #3

300km I'll take it easy and do it in 3 different days.

After that I'm riding it hard.
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #4

I am going to break it in hard, two diffrent schools of thoughts but I have always gotten better dyno results from doing it this way. Check out the link. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
pete r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

The old school method used by Eraldo Ferrachi and Rob Muzzy was to let the engine rev freely (even to red line), but to be very, very wary of heavy loads for the first few hundred miles.
Translated, that means don't lug around in high gears at low speed, avoid prolonged wide open throttle, and especially heavy back torque a.k.a engine braking.

If you want to ride it at full potential asap, just go flirt with it like a new girlfriend the first weekend you have it. Wind her up, but don't drive it home just yet. After four or five days of that, she'll... I mean it... will be ready for a good pounding. What was I talking about again... oh yeah! motorcycles....
van-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by van-man
The old school method used by Eraldo Ferrachi and Rob Muzzy was to let the engine rev freely (even to red line), but to be very, very wary of heavy loads for the first few hundred miles.
Translated, that means don't lug around in high gears at low speed, avoid prolonged wide open throttle, and especially heavy back torque a.k.a engine braking.

If you want to ride it at full potential asap, just go flirt with it like a new girlfriend the first weekend you have it. Wind her up, but don't drive it home just yet. After four or five days of that, she'll... I mean it... will be ready for a good pounding. What was I talking about again... oh yeah! motorcycles....

hell yeah!
Old January 14th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Send a message via MSN to duc1098
Engine break-in

I generally break-in all my bikes on a curvy road with hills. I try not to go over 5k for the first hundred miles and I gradually increase the revs up to about 3/4 of red line constantly varrying the rpm - never constantly staying on one rpm. I change the oil at 300 miles and again at 1000 miles then I 'get after it'! Similar to Eraldo's suggestion but with two oil changes to get any engine filings out of the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by van-man

2013 WERA West Twins Superbike Champion
duc1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Edvin1098s
That is why i singed up. LOL iam scared I payed 27,780.07 american for my Tricolor at Chicago Cycle Center. I am bringing it back home to Clearwater FL. Iam just not sure how to go about it. I used to have 01 R1 OMG what a lemon that one was bad luck. I also had a zx10r 04 no problems excepet for the radiator falling off from to many hard wheelies. I plan to keep this bike planted and see how this go, actually i never rode a ducati and bought this one just by what people had to say about it.
Edvin1098s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #9

Just to add to this, I hear heat cycles are good as well. Get out ride it relatively gently then park it, let it cool completely, and repeat... Who knows.
TraumaOne is offline   Reply With Quote