Voltage Regulator SH847 or FH020? - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By keitih89

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2017, 04:10 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Voltage Regulator SH847 or FH020?

The stock voltage regulator on our 1X98/848 is crap. That is a fact. So which regulator did you install into your bike when yours died?

The panigale uses the FH020 and so too does the newer multistradas. By default, the obvious thing to do is to use this MOSFET SHUNT type of regulator. It is also relatively cheap at 40-60$

However, SH847 seems to be the most recent hype. Nearly every type of bike and every forum talks about how awesome it is. Suzuki even claims it would free up some low end torque from the engine by the way it is designed. However it is massive in size and nearly 200$...if you can even get your hands on one.

My question is, has anyone installed either and what is their opinion?
VJ020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old February 3rd, 2017, 07:24 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I'm running an FH020. The nice thing is it has connectors that connect directly to the regulator. I ended up replacing the stock connector from the rectifier and soldering the new pigtail to it. I mounted the FH020 on the right side horizontal belt cover with some bolts and locknuts. I have a mounting pic somewhere.

It's not a plug and play deal as it requires some soldering for the battery connectors and rectifier connector as well as creative mounting but it works well and does not get hot. It shoudl also be a more reliable solution. I think I paid about 120 shipped from roadstercycle.com. Great customer service from Jack. They also sell a voltage monitor LED which gives an under or over voltage warning. Unfortunately, they did not have any in stock when i ordered my RR.
VJ020 likes this.
keitih89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 11:21 AM   #3

Thanks Keitih - how long have you used the FH020 and have you had any issues with the stator needing replacement? I'm reading that the mosfet shunts (FH020) tends to make the stators work harder and hotter even though the RR themselves run much cooler.
Old February 6th, 2017, 03:48 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ020 View Post
Thanks Keitih - how long have you used the FH020 and have you had any issues with the stator needing replacement? I'm reading that the mosfet shunts (FH020) tends to make the stators work harder and hotter even though the RR themselves run much cooler.
Do you have a link to where you read that? If I recall, the voltage regulaor whether a mosfet or shunt style shed excess voltage but should have no bearing on how hard the rectifier works. The rectifier is just an AC generator. engine heat and rpm is what would cause it to get hot.
Old February 6th, 2017, 04:31 PM   #5

There are quite a number of forums studying the effects of regulator upgrade but I fond this one to be the most objective and concise:
Charging System Diagnostics - Rectifier/Regulator Upgrade - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

Certain motorcycles prone to stator failure often experience accelerated stator failure rates immediately after upgrading to a shunt type regulator - although there are no direct evidence to conclude that. The Aprilia RSV4 is one of them.

So far, however, rumors suggest ducati stators are robust and rarely requires replacement so it would seem likely that the FH020 will fair well in our bikes (and also why it is used on the newest panigales/multistrada). It would be great to know whether the Panigale SL's also use a FH020 when equipped with lithium batteries from the factory.... although that is another topic on its own!
Old February 8th, 2017, 10:25 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ020 View Post
There are quite a number of forums studying the effects of regulator upgrade but I fond this one to be the most objective and concise:
Charging System Diagnostics - Rectifier/Regulator Upgrade - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

Certain motorcycles prone to stator failure often experience accelerated stator failure rates immediately after upgrading to a shunt type regulator - although there are no direct evidence to conclude that. The Aprilia RSV4 is one of them.

So far, however, rumors suggest ducati stators are robust and rarely requires replacement so it would seem likely that the FH020 will fair well in our bikes (and also why it is used on the newest panigales/multistrada). It would be great to know whether the Panigale SL's also use a FH020 when equipped with lithium batteries from the factory.... although that is another topic on its own!
I think the Ducati stators being in an oil bath, that does not also cool the clutch, helps a lot. at least on the dry clutch moels.