A different clutch question - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2017, 10:25 AM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

A different clutch question

So after having the bike in pieces for months, it is finally coming back together. Many of you have helped with suspension questions and then the hand controls, so I finally got all the parts together to replace the clutch basket and plates on the DP slipper installed by the PO. I got the Hdesa clutch holding tool, so both the basket and inner drum are secure and not able to move. As I begin to apply pressure with the 32mm socket on the nut, it begins to turn as the clutch 'slips' up the ramps, but the expected stop to the slipping never comes. I can continue to turn the nut with fairly little resistance, but the nut never comes off. It almost feels like I am turning the engine.

Like I said, the bike was previously in many pieces and when trying to remove the clutch, the was no fluid in the clutch system. I put everything back together with the old plates, and springs, etc. and refilled the system. It seems to work fine, the pressure plate move out like it should, the bike is in gear. I haven't torn the clutch back down to try the nut again, but just curious if anyone has any ideas. After reading several different account of pulling the clutch out, I was prepared for a fight with that nut, but I stumped not being able to apply any force to it for the shaft turning.

Thoughts?
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old February 4th, 2017, 11:55 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

That is odd. I don't see how the clutch would turn if you have the clutch basket immobilized with the tool. You could try hitting it with some WD-40 or some other thread breaker.

Am I understanding right that the clutch system was drained and disengaged when you tried it before? If so I think you'll have better luck now that the clutch is refilled and in gear.
randomtask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 02:47 AM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Man, I feel dumb now...After getting everything buttoned up last night and recharging the battery, I started it this morning and everything worked as advertised, shifting, clutch operation, etc. I took everything apart again to try and remove the clutch nut, same thing, just feels like the engine is turning. I decided to keep spinning slowly and I had been loosening the nut the whole time. Because of the clutch material buildup on the spline shaft, as the nut turned, the tension seemed to alternate like turning an engine, but I should have know the engine would be harder to turn and the tension periods would be longer and stronger.

All disassembled except for getting the basket off the splined shaft. Not really any good place to grab or get leverage to pull it out. Ideas?
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 05:36 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider View Post
All disassembled except for getting the basket off the splined shaft. Not really any good place to grab or get leverage to pull it out. Ideas?
Hey Raider, you may already know this, but just in case, you need to use a small alignment bar or another similar tool to 'unlock' the clutch housing/primary gear before you remove it (see pic). Use the same tool when reinstalling...
Attached Images

2009 Ducati 848
2005 Suzuki SV650S
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 10:36 AM   #5

No ducatis in the registry

Ducati 848 workshop manual

A manual should come in handy for future issues and questions.
Dutch848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2017, 09:04 AM   #6

No ducatis in the registry

Just noticed you had a 1098 instead of an 848.

Workshop_Manual_1098_1098S_2008

Therefore what Charles pointed out does not apply to your model.
Dutch848 is offline   Reply With Quote