How to adjust suspension - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By randomtask
  • 1 Post By jwm2k3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2017, 02:19 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

How to adjust suspension

I've owned my 2007 1098S for almost three years now and have never adjusted the suspension. In fact, I've never adjusted suspension on any of the bikes I've owned.

I've heard that setting the height, damping, and compression can make a significant difference in the ride.

I log less than 2k mikes per year and don't ever plan on going to the track (although the idea of buying another bike for the track sounds appealing).

I'm 37 and have ridden only 15k or so thousand miles on a motorcycle in my life. I know how to ride but I don't know how to drag a knee or ride 2 mile wheelies. I'm cautious, but confident.

I'm looking for recommendations on whether adjusting the suspension would make a significant improvement for the occasional rides.

Sorry for the long post, wanted to provide context. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
markgrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old February 11th, 2017, 06:43 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

At your experience level, you may not notice. The critical piece of info we need is your weight. The suspension is designed from the factory to work with relatively light riders - 160lbs or less (don't know the exact figure, but it's light). That said, if you weight significantly more or less than that then the suspension will not work well for you at all. Consider also that the bike was designed to also accommodate a pillion rider (passenger).

Also, what kind of roads do you ride on? Buttery smooth asphalt or the concrete jungle of the LA freeway system?

If you're close to the designed rider weight for the bike, I would say you will not likely notice a change in suspension setup. If you're not close, then you are more likely to notice.

The first and cheapest suspension adjustment for you is to set the sag. This adjusts the front and rear suspension for your weight, so that under normal conditions (no bumps, dips, etc) the bike will ride roughly in the middle of it's total available suspension travel. This way it can respond to both bumps and dips by using the full suspension without bottoming out. There are several threads on this forum that explain how to set sag.

The second thing you would do, assuming your weight is way off the mark, is get the suspension sprung for your weight. That is, you would change out the rear shock spring as well as both springs in the front forks to suit you specifically. This is more complicated and more expensive but not prohibitively so; some people even do it themselves after buying the springs.

Bottom line, for you I would say set your sag. This is just a preload adjustment. Compression and rebound damping is one of the last things you would do but I wouldn't recommend messing with it based on your riding style/experience. At any rate, the answers to all of these issues are here if/when you get there. Start with sag
Shazaam! and cool jesus like this.
randomtask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 11:15 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomtask View Post
Also, what kind of roads do you ride on? Buttery smooth asphalt or the concrete jungle of the LA freeway system?
or this:
IdZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 02:32 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]
[1198 S]

I agree with randomtask. But call the dealer and set an appointment to have them set sag. Should only take 30 minutes. You need to be there, bring your gear.

No matter what your experience, you should feel an improvement. Good luck.
Old February 12th, 2017, 04:44 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback.

I ride fairly smooth rides, or at least I try to. Freeways, state routes, etc.

I weigh 180 lbs.

This is my first Ducati. I've only owned Kawasaki Ninja's in the past. I never felt comfortable on them, I always felt like the wheelbase was too short. I feel very comfortable on the 1098. I never knew how much better a bike could handle until this, but I still feel like a novice.

We have a local dealer. I'll set up an appointment. Thanks for the advice.
Old February 12th, 2017, 05:02 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]
[1198 S]

Once the sag is adjusted, come back and tell us how huge of an improvement it is.
markgrise likes this.
Old February 12th, 2017, 05:12 PM   #7

Will do