1098 Engine Oil - Page 2 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2019, 12:46 PM   #16

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by finepooch View Post
I just bought a 2007 monster s4r(testastretta 4v). it came with BLACK oil. so a change is about to happen.

I use rotella t6 5w40 in my two ktm 500 dirt bikes. a lot of ktm riders swear by this oil and with the very frequent oil changes they like the savings offered by the rotella. in the interest of streamlining my oil "inventory" this fall I switched a couple other bikes(I have 9) over to rotella.

should I use the rotella t6 5w40 in my monster? the warm(100c) viscosity rating is good at 40. what about the cold viscosity rating of 5, will is cause wear?

thank you
I'm in Vancouver (so not as extreme as NB) and I would recommend two oil changes per year. Change to Rotella T6 (really good oil) 5w-40 in Fall. Change to Mobil 1 racing 15-50 (or Motul if you are wealthy) in May.

In hot weather these engines need the 50 weight viscosity to limit bearing wear.

SUPER IMPORTANT! You must not use Mobil 1 racing oil (or any oil with zddp) if you still have the catalytic converters!
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500

Last edited by Svensken; January 17th, 2019 at 03:04 PM.
Svensken is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old January 17th, 2019, 05:15 PM   #17

No ducatis in the registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by keitih89 View Post
more importantly, check the timing belt condition/tension. They can stretch even if the bike is just sitting for a few years.
belt checking is high up on the list
finepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2019, 05:16 PM   #18

No ducatis in the registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensken View Post
I'm in Vancouver (so not as extreme as NB) and I would recommend two oil changes per year. Change to Rotella T6 (really good oil) 5w-40 in Fall. Change to Mobil 1 racing 15-50 (or Motul if you are wealthy) in May.

In hot weather these engines need the 50 weight viscosity to limit bearing wear.

SUPER IMPORTANT! You must not use Mobil 1 racing oil (or any oil with zddp) if you still have the catalytic converters!
the bike might get 2,000kms so I will only be changing the oil in the fall
finepooch is offline   Reply With Quote