Swingarm powder coating...bad for the metal? - Page 2 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:23 AM   #16

No ducatis in the registry

The problem with annodizing is that it tends to purple with sunlight exposure. My rearsets already look like crap due to it.
DesmoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old September 23rd, 2008, 09:31 AM   #17

Yep, I concur with Todka, annodizing can have a slight purple tint after a while when exposed to heat/sunlight. It's no big deal but it can happen. As far as the swingarm, I had my swingarm powder coated black and granted I'm not Troy Bayliss, but I have not had a problem thus far and haven't noticed any of the handling affected. If I had a problem with flex, then maybe I should convert to 108MM calipers and the $5k SBK DP swingarm, haha... it's going to be there but for the regular Joe Schmo, it's insignificant...

Somebody needs to talk to a PhD caliber person that specializes on nothing but metals and whoever wants to get their parts powder coated, bring a temp gun and measure it yourself, there's enough data here posted now that should either put you in the safe range or not...
strykerg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:00 AM   #18
Banned

PainterDude,
Did you take the time to read the attachment.. It doesn’t seem so, other wise I don’t think you would have made such an informed statement.. Nor did you take the posting with the intent that it was made give.
With that said, I didn’t anywhere say not to do it.. I said there might be things to consider. All is knowledge, what one chooses to do with it is another issue all together.. I have been considering powder coating my swing arm also but had reservations. The information gathered here swayed me into going ahead and doing it. But I now know what questions to ask of my powder coater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainterDude View Post
A friend told him & He thinks & To his knowledge & you stole it off another forum.... I'm glad you are so possitive about your information....

Senseless to argue with such a source of knowledge, I went directly to the source & I know the answer.... But believe what you want....No matter to me...

Do you know the difference between T4 & T6??

Are you confusing Aging with Tempering???

With aging it is like 360 for 8-24 hours, but again, Temp & time, 380 for 20 min. is not enough temp for a long enough time to cause any problems...
RC

Last edited by RC51-05; September 23rd, 2008 at 01:36 PM.
RC51-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51-05 View Post
PainterDude,
Did you take the time to read the attachment.. It doesn’t seem so, other wise I don’t think you would have made such an informed statement.. Nor did you take the posting with the intent that it was made give.
With that said, I didn’t anywhere say not to do it.. I said there might be things to consider. All is knowledge, what one chooses to do with it is another issue all together.. I have been considering powder coating my swing arm also but had reservations. The information gathered here swayed me into going ahead and doing it. But I now know what questions to ask of my powder coater.

RC
I am a proffesional Powder Coater, I wanted to know the answer to the question, for myself, so I contacted my friend at DNA directly, He put me in touch with Italy & I have my answer...
PainterDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #20

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
I am a proffesional Powder Coater, I wanted to know the answer to the question, for myself, so I contacted my friend at DNA directly, He put me in touch with Italy & I have my answer...

And the answer is?
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #21

yeah, wtf painterdude? help me out here! What did they say?
DesmoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #22

Long story short.... They build the Swingarms with standard 6061, when all welding is doine the aluminum is aged for 8 hours in a chemical bath at 360 degrees, then it is allowed to cool naturally, then is heated again to 974 degreees & fluid coooled (flash cooled) to a T-4 Temper...(T-4 is Temper 4 grade)...

They explained to me that auluminum is effected by heat & time & powdercoating does not have enough heat for a long enough time to effect the temper...

I have done swingarms on my own bikes, race bikes, show bikes & have never ever heard of anyone ever having a problem....

I feel 100% comfortable in doing it, But you will have to make your own decission, if you have doubts, then don't have it done....
PainterDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #23
Banned

Cool deal…. Thanks for the definitive answer that settles questions anybody could have..

RC
RC51-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #24

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

The main issue here is not the melting point ect. but the linear thermal expension and how it reflects the whole construction design of the swingarm espcially from the inside. Even an engineer who designed the swingarm will have difficultis to give you an expansion answer and what goes in which way and back when it cools back down again.
Franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #25

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Long story short.... They build the Swingarms with standard 6061, when all welding is doine the aluminum is aged for 8 hours in a chemical bath at 360 degrees, then it is allowed to cool naturally, then is heated again to 974 degreees & fluid coooled (flash cooled) to a T-4 Temper...(T-4 is Temper 4 grade)...

They explained to me that auluminum is effected by heat & time & powdercoating does not have enough heat for a long enough time to effect the temper...

I have done swingarms on my own bikes, race bikes, show bikes & have never ever heard of anyone ever having a problem....

I feel 100% comfortable in doing it, But you will have to make your own decission, if you have doubts, then don't have it done....
That is WAY good enough for me and it is on my to do list this Winter...Thanks
KarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #26

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I did not read through all of this post but I can tell you the following. I had the swingarm PC on my Honda, zero problems as far as what you are talking about... Infact, you can request or at least where I got mine done at to have it baked at a low temp..

Also did the case cover and a bunch of other parts here and there.
Attached Images

Last edited by Visitor Q; October 7th, 2008 at 09:11 PM.
Visitor Q is offline   Reply With Quote