Front end question - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:36 AM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

Front end question

Hey guys

Is it possible for the front forks to be miss-aligned. When I'm riding with the bike perfectly straight and look down at my triple clamp it appears to be lower on the right side. The top of the triple really seems like it is slanting toward the right side. It is a Speedymoto clamp and I'm wondering if it can be an optical illusion or if the forks can be off. The dealer says it is impossible to be off, that the lower clamps would keep it in line. I have no troubles taking the triple on and off but it really looks off since the fork tubes were raised up through to accommodate the lowering of the ass end. My front end feels goofy too on really tight turns.

Your thoughts?
monoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:30 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Actually, I've noticed the same thing with the sPEEDYmOTO triple. Maybe an optical (d)illusion.

So monoog, what exactly does a "goofy front end" feel like?
Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:03 AM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

Well

My front end feels like it "fights" me on really tight turns. My bars are quite high now so I think that could be it more than anything. My bike is extremely more comfortable now and I can ride in comfort. It's NOT a track bike so I'm really happy with it. The front end just seems a bit stiff. I still need to have someone with knowledge to set the bike's suspension for me.

Thanks for the reply on the Speedymoto clamp, it must be an optical illusion but it's weird to look at.

monoog
Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:38 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

We think alike. I have my bars waaay up there too. My 1098 is just a street-ridden hot rod. No tracking this one.

I did a lot of screwing around with the suspension, and what I learned for street riding my 5'10" 190 pound old-man body (with gear) on my 1098S, was this: Forks: factory setting with preload backed out two turns and both dampening settings backed out four clicks. Rear shock: pulled out all the preload and backed out both dampeners 4 clicks. For geometry, if you get the front too high relative to the rear, the bike really wants to stand up in corners. Forks higher than stock and it's twitchy as all hell. What works best for me was to keep the fork at three lines (no lines w/ SpeedyMoto triple), and 5 threads showing in the rear ride-height turnbuckle. This way I can still touch both feet flat at stops, the bike remains stable in turns and at higher speeds, and stays at whatever lean-angle you put it at. Yes the forks dive with braking, and yes, low-speed left-right transitions aren't quite as crisp, but such is the compromise for every-day comfort. I am far from being an expert, this is just what seems to work best for me at this point.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 02:38 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

Thanks for reply elevens.

I actually took the front end apart and took the headlight assembly/fairing mount off and modified it so I could raise the bars even further. After doing so I saw a number of pro racers at an event in Canada had done the same to their 848s and 1098s. Just to give them the room to get different break and clutch levers and to raise the wind screen a bit too, I think.

Any ways I didn't feel so bad about my mod after seeing this. I cut the arms off the assembly and had a company weld a plate on and raise the arms 11/4 inches. There was plenty of give in the nose to move upward. Took some finagling but it worked great. You really can't tell it's been done. It allowed me to put 90 degree clip-on risers on and now the bars are quite high. About 3 inches above the original clipons.

It has made a world of difference for comfort but not sure if this has created the front end problem. I thinks its more the lowering of the rear and not everything is in sync with the forks.

I'll continue to play with it, I'm sure the right combo is just around the corner. Thanks for the imput, I'll keep working at it.

cheers
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:09 PM   #6

No ducatis in the registry

As you have had both the front and rear height adjusted, I would suggest having your trail checked to make sure the adjustments havent altered your geometry to much.
Merto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:19 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

Thanks Merto, I will look at this.
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

Well

I'm taking my bike in for the recall on the back sprocket Friday and have asked them to look at the front forks. They are now saying that it IS possible for the forks to be off a bit. I never noticed it before they dropped the front end, (pulled the forks up through the triple to offset me lowering the back.)

I'm convinced the front is out and I really don't think I am seeing things, so it will be interesting to see what they say. My front end wants to stay up in tight turns and it feels almost like the front tire is slipping out on me some times. Makes me very nervous in tight cornering. There is absolutely a problem, don't know if the forks are out or the bike is off from lowering back and front ends and it's just not in sync.

Will update here after the fix, any thoughts though would be cool.

cheers