Dropping a tooth in the front? - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Dropping a tooth in the front?

possible? worth it? would like to get a little closer to my friends modded zx-10r
domestictuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old October 6th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Me too

I've been thinking about it as well. There are quite a few posts here that discuss the pro's and con's. Just do a search on front sprocket or something like that.
Old October 6th, 2008, 06:18 AM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[GT 1000]

I'd like to see a post from someone who has put some substantial miles on their bike with the 14T CS. One interesting post stated that going to the 14T CS would cause the chain to bind and potentially damage the chain or shorten it's life.
ENZOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 06:27 AM   #4

I have done it to every one of my 6 Ducatis without any chain stretch, binding, swingarm or engine casing damage.

its cheap, its easy, its effective
DesmoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDevil View Post
...its cheap, its easy, its effective

Now that sounds just like an infomercial!
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

If you want to compete with a zx10 how bout changing out your exhaust to a full system eliminating that pos exhaust valve? Not to mention removing carbon canister and any other mods to lighten up your bike. Wheels would be nice to remove all that rotating mass and/or a light weight DP sprocket front and back. I have even read on another post the increase in HP when you correct your valve timing (if applicable). Apparently, many of our bikes are set retarded from the factory.
Big Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[GT 1000]

Quote:
Originally Posted by domestictuner View Post
possible? worth it? would like to get a little closer to my friends modded zx-10r
Where is this ZX10 beating you? Take him into some twisties and school him there. I believe that rider ability is more important than the bikes ability. If your talking about straight line performance, that crap is boring anyway you need some nice tight cornes to really have some fun and to show some talent and ability. And I'm talking about some tight challenging corners not these long sweepers that are nothing more than straightaways.
ENZOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[900 SS]

NO!

Dropping a tooth in the front is way too much. It's 6.25% reduction in gearing, which is huge. The bike will flip, and it will be banging the rev-limiter everywhere.

If you want to play with gearing, go up 1 or 2 on the rear. This should be all you need to get the boost you're looking for, while not killing yourself.

I've attached a basic gearing calc in Excel for you. Just enter your front and rear sprocket currently in "Baseline" row and then drop in whatever combos you like in the other rows. The calc shows the percentage relative to the baseline.

I had 'zip' the file, beacuse the site doesn't accept '.xls' uploads.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Gearing Calc.zip (5.0 KB, 160 views)
sfyamr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #9

I have gone down one tooth on all of my Ducatis without issue. I currently am running a 14/39 combo
DesmoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfyamr1 View Post
NO!

Dropping a tooth in the front is way too much. It's 6.25% reduction in gearing, which is huge. The bike will flip, and it will be banging the rev-limiter everywhere.

If you want to play with gearing, go up 1 or 2 on the rear. This should be all you need to get the boost you're looking for, while not killing yourself.
I hope you're kidding otherwise that's a bit melodramatic not to mention BS. I went with a 14t front sprocket earlier this summer and rode both commuter miles and several track days. The 14t sprocket is comparable to three up in the back, it gives you much more grunt on the track but is a little short for freeway use IMO. After switching to a 520 drive train i went back to a 15t front and a two tooth larger 40t rear, I've found this to be a good combination for commuting and the occasional track day.

Ben Franklin

Last edited by Ten-6; October 6th, 2008 at 01:42 PM.
Ten-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 R]
[999]

One of the first things I changed on my R. Need to slip it a lot less when you're in traffic. 3000 miles and no problems so far. Unless you consider being more wheelie-prone to be a problem...
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[900 SS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten-6 View Post
I hope you're kidding otherwise that's a bit melodramatic not to mention BS. I went with a 14t front sprocket earlier this summer and rode both commuter miles and several track days. The 14t sprocket is comparable to three up in the back, it gives you much more grunt on the track but is a little short for freeway use IMO. After switching to a 520 drive train i went back to a 15t front and a two tooth larger 40t rear, I've found this to be a combination for commuting and the occasional track day.
A. just want to make sure he takes note. most people don't actually do the math to know specifically what they're getting. you can tune the two gears simultaneously for perfect setup, if you take the time.

B. a friend of mine's a professional stunter (i know. we don't ride together), but when I went to change my front recently, he made it clear that in his world, where perfect gearing is essential, they rarely go '-' with the front sprocket. the decreased radius reduces chain life (harsher angular change), and you don't have fine control over the differences between teeth like you do on the rear.
sfyamr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfyamr1 View Post
the decreased radius reduces chain life (harsher angular change), and you don't have fine control over the differences between teeth like you do on the rear.
Now that i agree with but going one size smaller on the front is nowhere near as scary as you made it sound, stunting however is a whole different sport than street or track riding. If i decided to start racing or continue to do 6+ track days a year I'll switch to a quick change rear with multiple sprockets for different tracks.

Ben Franklin

Ten-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #14

I installed a 14t at my 1000Km service, I have over 12000k's now and no issues, none whatsoever.