Hard Cold Start - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1098/1198

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2017, 05:57 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Hard Cold Start

1198SP... I have a full akrapovic exhaust with a Microtec ECU tuned by Ferracci. After letting the bike sit for a day or so, I have starting troubles. Typically, I need to turn the engine over at least 3 times (about 5+ seconds each turn) before it starts up. No issues starting the rest of the day. Anyone else have this issue and is this normal? I never had any issues like this with my slip-ons and stock ECU. Should I try and prime it more before trying to start? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
dar5052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old July 18th, 2017, 06:16 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

Try cracking the throttle a little bit when starting the bike. My race bike does not like cold starts. Try cycling the key once or twice before starting the bike. If that changes how it starts replace the fuel pump. It might not be building enough pressure to start the bike.
2005 Ducati 999
2010 Ducati 1198
2010 Harley Davidson Sportster Nightster (WIFE'S)
2009 Yamaha YZF-R6
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (WIFE'S)
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
1982 Kawasaki KZ440
pottebaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 11:01 AM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

So, something Mark Sutton at Ducshop taught me with my bike. I also have full Akras with Microtec, was to turn the key to on and then let it sit for a couple seconds. Then turn it off, turn it back on and allow the fuel to drain down into the heads and start to evaporate and such and this creates a more combustible atmosphere as more then likely your ECU isn't allowing enough fuel to get squirting down initially when starting as that was the case with mine, so this is the easy fix for that. Goodluck!
Old July 18th, 2017, 11:03 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

If you have the cables and such, you could have Ferracci or possibly Mark send you a tune file to fix it. I know he used to be their head Mechanic back when they raced for Ducati back in the day. Granted, I am not sure if this is the same peeps, but its definitely fixable either way.
Old July 18th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatista4life View Post
If you have the cables and such, you could have Ferracci or possibly Mark send you a tune file to fix it. I know he used to be their head Mechanic back when they raced for Ducati back in the day. Granted, I am not sure if this is the same peeps, but its definitely fixable either way.

With the Microtec they can tune in a startup procedure that would help with that.
Ducbmwtritech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 03:44 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1198]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducbmwtritech View Post
With the Microtec they can tune in a startup procedure that would help with that.

Yup, this was the quick fix as I was 5 hours away from Ducshop and I didn't have my cables anymore. Otherwise, mark would've just sent me the files and I would upload them to my bike to fix the problem as it can be done over the phone pretty much.
Old July 18th, 2017, 06:21 PM   #7

Thanks for the great feedback guys. I do notice that when I crack the throttle slightly, it helps to get it going. I'll try cycling the fuel pump a few times next time I go to start it and see if that helps. Unfortunately I don't have the cables so I'll have to take it somewhere or send my ecu out to have the fix uploaded.

Thanks again for the pointers.
Old July 29th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #8

Just to close this out, I cycled the fuel pump three times before attempting to start it and it seems to have done the trick... Bike started up quickly without hesitation. Thanks!
Old September 14th, 2017, 05:15 AM   #9

This sounds like it could be fixed with the pre-injection part of the start map.
bstar360 is offline   Reply With Quote