Coring stock cans. - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 1199 Panigale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2019, 03:10 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Coring stock cans.

Hi guys, new to this forum. I have just picked up an 1199 as an upgrade from an 848. The 848/1098/1198 exhausts could be cored quite easily though i never bothered because the slip on's were affordable.

I wanted to throw up a post about coring the 1199 stock cans, as i was looking for some tips/photos on doing so but couldnt find much. I know guys are doing this over in the states and it seems to be worthwhile. The reason being the termi, akra exhaust systems are big $$. (As good as they are )

Anyway i went about it today and got the cats knocked out quite easily. The only issue being i cant weld so a mate of mine is going to weld the cutouts back in.

If you're interested in doing this, its not as much of a task as you think it may be. It took me about half an hour per side.

As the gases exit the Y-pipe they run through the cat and into a loop in the thinner part of the exhaust and out the other end through the tube next to the cat. I left that pipe untouched but you can cut that out if you want it louder.

Just scribe a square to cutout inbetween the welds pictured. Cut as much of the outer shell of the cat as you can. You can use an air chisel but i just used a mallet and cold chisels to crush and dislodge the cat as much as possible until if felt loose. Then i chiseled it out of the sleeve it sits in and it falls out. Then clean up what you need to and weld the cutouts back in.

I picked up a cheap stock exhaust that came with a termi upmap so im going to run with that. It may need tuning but i wont know until i get the afrs checked.
Attached Images

Last edited by Amon; May 17th, 2019 at 04:16 AM.
Amon is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads

Tags
1199 , cored , exhaust , panigale , stock