High Mileage Ducati's - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 848

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

High Mileage Ducati's

All -
I am new to the Ducati world. I saw the 848 and fell in love. After reading about it the past 48 hours I am still left with some questions.

I typically put 10k on a bike every 6 months, would the 848 fare well as a high mileage bike? I have not read many posts of where a 848 cracks 15k. I am not poking fun, but it does not seem like the community that buys Ducati's ride their bikes on the street much. They seem to either be tracked or have it as garage decoration.
jtalerico is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old December 11th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Black_DucatiSport848 Send a message via MSN to Black_DucatiSport848 Send a message via Yahoo to Black_DucatiSport848 Send a message via Skype™ to Black_DucatiSport848
i wish i had an answer to that question, because it makes me think about how well the bike will perform after 10k or 15k?

*When im not riding my ducati i drive a scion.*
Black_DucatiSport848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #3

Just looking for some information about high mileage ducatis
jtalerico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Send a message via AIM to azmcs
I think you will find it hard to get an 848 opinion on high mileage. They just haven't been available for long enough. I agree that most owners tend to ride their 916/996/998/999/848/1098 less frequently or on the track more than a comparable Japanese bike. It is just the nature that we tend to either own multiple bikes or use them for fun/track/racing than for daily transportation. Also the darn things really aren't meant to be high mileage machines. I mean, hell, if your tank range is 120 miles you spend a lot of time at the Shell station putting on 15k miles....
Originally Posted by RC51-05
I'm sure that outlay cut into your E-bay carbon fiber budget..
azmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #5

You may need to look elsewhere.

You're posting in a Ducati Superbike forum. Most people that buy these 'purpose-built' track weapons buy them for that very purpose (ie trackday duties). These are not designed, nor comfortable, for long distance touring.

There are also many of us who have second (or third or fourth...) bikes for that purpose. I have a Guzzi (50000kms) for all my commuting work, so the 848 gets used only for the "FUN" stuff.

Added to that is that the 848 isn't even a year old yet, so big miles are yet to be seen.

jdw

PS -

Quote:
They seem to either be tracked or have it as garage decoration.
Don't know where you hail from, but here in Oz Ducatis are usually over-represented on any trackday (given their modest sales compared to Jap bikes). We use them in anger, for the most part....
Jonny DeWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I have an 07 1098. I have 14000 miles. The baby runs like it's new.
mackgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[848]
[848]

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtalerico View Post
All -
I am new to the Ducati world. I saw the 848 and fell in love. After reading about it the past 48 hours I am still left with some questions.

I typically put 10k on a bike every 6 months, would the 848 fare well as a high mileage bike? I have not read many posts of where a 848 cracks 15k. I am not poking fun, but it does not seem like the community that buys Ducati's ride their bikes on the street much. They seem to either be tracked or have it as garage decoration.
I can't speak for 'high' mileage just yet, but at just 3 months old I've got 3000 miles on my 848. Mostly commuting on the 405 in SoCal. Nothing I can complain about.

Before the 848 I had a 749 that I put about 10,000 annual miles. Nothing to complain about on that either.

I know neither of my bikes are quite as high mileage as your 20k miles/year average but mine are definitely on the road a fair bit with no problems to speak of (knock on wood).
skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #8

I bought my 848 in January 2008, started riding here in the San Francisco Bay Area when the rain subsided in February 2008. I have 9,200+ miles on the bike now, so perhaps I qualify in your view as a high-mileage rider. I commute from Marin county to the city each day, about a 40 mile round trip, and I get out every weekend I can for quick 80-100 mile loops on the fun roads.

I would rate the 848 as excellent for my purposes. I have had zero mechanical problems or problems of any other kind. What is more, after the 7,500 mile service, the bike actually improved (the valve adjustment produced noticeable power gains). My commute to and from work remains the best part of my day!

The only downer on high-mileage use is running through tires at a good clip. On tires, I have experimented with the stock Pirellis, Metzler M3 Sportecs, and now the Michelin Pilot Powers which I intend to replace shortly with the Bridgestones. So far, the Michelins are my favorite.

Just FYI, the best modification I have done is to increase the ride height (bought the adjustable link for $120) which I did at the same time I had the suspension professionally race-tuned. Unbelievable difference from my sloppy efforts to adjust the suspension on my own.

Good luck with your decision. I for one endorse the 848 for high-mileage use.
o Poderoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[999]

j,your a bit short on info ...as the type of riding you do.but all duc superbikes are a bastard to ride in traffic.heavy clutches,excessive heat from exhaust...particularly at under 80ks...whats that in m/p/h say 50 or sitting at traffic lights.i have 40 000k on mine.all trouble free.with 5000ks between oil changes and belts every 20k.i m fortunate that living on the edge of civilisation that most of the great roads are at the end of my driveway!!.getting 190 to 220 out of tank depending how i feel/ride on the day. riding into major cities[sydney] i may get 120/130ks[sorry officer,i get better fuel economy riding quicker!!!]. some riders install aftermarket slave cyl. to lighten clutch,and know of others fitting a manual override switch to the thermo fans[particularly those in sydney],to assist cooling in heavy traffic conditions.their is primarily three divisions of ducati riders.the vast majority ride on the street/country roads etc.[i think largely due to insurance here in oz wont cover track/training days.] then their is the track contingent or trackies[many have more than one bike]. and finally the trophy hunters and restorers[the ones that only come out on concours days !!if your truly passionate,your heart will over rule your head,and the discomfort/rational thinking wont matter.hj
Old December 11th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[SS 900 Bevel Drive]

I've owned my Duck since 1979 and I mostly ride on the weekend (use to race it as weel) because it's an absolute mongrel in city / low speed traffic. Current mileage = 53,000 km
Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[916 SPS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
I have an 07 1098. I have 14000 miles. The baby runs like it's new.
And so they all should when regularly maintained imo. Clean air/oil/fuel plus the odd tweak every so often and there's no reason why they shouldn't 'run forever'.

Regular decent runs are better than piddlin around stop/start carry on.

brettc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

just over 14,000 on the clock and no worries. regular maintenance and cleaning. it'd done commuting, touring, track days, canyon carving, speed runs etc etc. love it. hell i've 2up toured on it.
Old December 12th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #13

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

I got my delivered June 6th, 2008, as of Nov 15, 2008; the day I winterized her for the long winter, I got 12780 km on her, will be in the shop for the 12000 km service in the spring and a new rear tire.

0 problems so far, runs perfect like the first day I got it, knock on wood.

L twins will last longer than the inline 4, we got 2 less pistons to go wrong :P if one piston goes down, i know I still got just about 65hp to boot, as complicated as Ducati engineers claim their engine to be, it's a simpler engine compare to the Jap inline 4. with fewer moving parts to go wrong.

Even the problems that have been posted on this forum are all non-engine/gear box related, lots of bad Voltage regulator (now being recalled) and maybe defective radiator, but nothing majorly affects the engine or gear box, even the dry clutch doesn't have much problem and that's what makes a bike last a long time.

I am pretty confident that I can put 100k on my 848 with out major problems, that is if I don't crash it first... knock on wood again!
jncworth likes this.

Last edited by wiredbeans; December 12th, 2008 at 01:31 AM.
wiredbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #14

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Looking back, it's not whether I could do high milage in a duck but should I have.

I did 48,000 km in five years on my SS and that is with at best four months riding time per year. I loved it like all ducks for the way it feels in corners and how it responds when you push it. But really thinking back MAYBE a fifth of those miles were done in a manner I could really appreciate the bikes strengths. The softer tires wear out quicker, the lighter chain and sprocket don't last as long, there was more maintenance, it felt like it was being held back with hours at the posted speed limit or roads without challenging corners. Even if I could do thousand km days (which I did when I'd join my touring buddies) I know I could have been even more comfortable with a more purpose built bike.

This time around I concentrated on what I want out of motorcycling and got the 1098 and I just don't tour with it. I'd rather put it in the truck and take it to visit my buddies and then ride the hell out of it on their backroads than put boring miles on it. IF I decide I'm interested in putting big miles on a bike again I'll get a dedicated bike for that.

Just my two cents.
raptuous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #15

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

my bevels done 67000kms, only had ignition probs. a long warm up before riding hard, and being anal with oil changes is the key
bevelman is offline   Reply With Quote