Stomp Pads or Snakeskin or...? - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 848

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2019, 02:22 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Stomp Pads or Snakeskin or...?

After putting all of.... 50 miles on this bike since I've gotten it, I've found my wrists take a bigger beating than the other bikes over had (zx6, zx10, r1, gixxer600), ESPECIALLY with my wife on the back. It Seems as though it's time to get some thigh traction on the tank.

I've used stomp pads on my track bike, but those snake skins look sharp. I'm just not sure if I want to cover that beautiful red tank or go with clear stomp pads. I've done the search on here, but I'm on a tablet so the search results are few and dated, with most pictures and links not even working (using a tablet from my cell phone hotspot ).

So, any suggestions? I have a lot of carbon fiber, so I suppose the black wouldn't look horrible
Tooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old March 29th, 2019, 09:04 AM   #2

To help with the wrist pain. Make sure you don't lock your elbows. Try to keep a little bend in your arms & back to activate your core. You might need to adjust the bars to help your wrists. I moved mine away from the tank to help, but now my hands touch the fairing sooner.

If your wife can touch the tank. Have her place her hands on the tank to hold herself up, so your not getting all the weight on your wrists. You can also get handles that mount to the gas cap, so she can hold on better. Good Luck
Hammerstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2019, 04:04 PM   #3

Whichever, do it. I did stomp grip. Honestly any theoretical damage from the pads is offset by the wear on the clear coat from your leathers rubbing it.

For me it's less my wrist and more my nuts under hard breaking. But couple that with higher rear sets means you can really locks your knee into the tank and hang off the bike with confidence.
Tchase, DukEvo and Tooch like this.
Old March 29th, 2019, 08:06 PM   #4
Court Jester

I prefer techspec

https://amsducati.com/techspec-ducat...tank-grip-pads

A couple thinks try to keep on the balls of your feet, also we tend to have our pegs too low. You donít want your croch right up to the tank you want room and proper hieght to lock you inner thighs on the tank.

For doubles the only solution is two things and one is no longer sold but there are alternatives.

I use to do two up with the wife. She gained some weight and refuses to ride so I gave my tank bars to a member here.

Get the cover for the pylon it will help her stick..

TRIBOSEAT Ducati 1098 (2007-2010) Anti Slip Motorcycle Passenger SEAT Cover Accessory Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GFPHSN3..._2TTNCbP768EY2

Tank bars..

I donít know what happened but they stopped selling itís real a slick system because it comes off for solo, in 2 seconds.

Vinxxgrip

They these Iíve assume it would work, the thing about it is Iíd get something because if you have to get on the brakes sheís gonna put a lot of force on you. Even riding that force will where you down fast

https://www.denniskirk.com/powerstan...waArBiEALw_wcB

Good luck!
Old March 29th, 2019, 09:22 PM   #5

Snakeskin is ordered from Revzilla. She's a really good passenger and I never have any problems hitting the twisted with her, but man the positioning on this bike is just quite a bit more aggressive than I'm used to with a passenger I knew what I was getting into from my research before buying it, and we've only probably put 20 miles on it if that in stop and go since getting it. I'm sure it'll all be ok lol
Old April 1st, 2019, 12:28 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

I noticed this too, when I first picked up my 848. Sore wrists, but mainly my left wrist.
I replaced the stock levers, that helped.
Definitely need tank grips, that helps too....it'll also stop your nuts from slamming into the tank when braking! Not only that, but you should really be using your inner thighs to hold the bike for manoeuvring, just hold the grips with your hands as though you're handling a new born chicken....very delicately.
And you can't do the above effectively without tank grips.

And lastly, I also installed a quick shifter and thus was pulling in the clutch much much less...

Problem pretty much solved.

So I guess it's a combination of handling the machine properly and effectively and some mechanical changes and or adjustments.

Good luck!
DukEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2019, 02:37 AM   #7

Just a heads up, you dont have to clutch to upshift on these bikes, and shouldnt.
ryan stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2019, 02:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Just a heads up, you dont have to clutch to upshift on these bikes, and shouldnt.

Shouldn't use the clutch? Is there something weird about Ducati's? I know you don't have to, but you're the first person I've ever heard say "shouldn't", ever
Old April 1st, 2019, 03:15 AM   #9

Going up, no. Just put pressure on the lever and cut the ignition, just like a quick shifter does. The reason you get a quick shifter is, well, because its faster than you can be. But on any of these constant mesh gearboxes its always "in gear" and you're just selecting between the two gears. Just push up on the lever while unloading the transmission by lifting on the throttle and you're in the next gear much smoother than you would using the clutch and save clutch wear, win win.

Its also much smoother and safer (no impact on bar input) shifting up when leaned over.

I wouldn't do it on a Harley or a Guzzi but on a modern sport those transmissions are so precise its smoother sans clutch. Hell, if youre really good you dont need the clutch going up or down once in second (dont try that at home though).

Last edited by ryan stewart; April 1st, 2019 at 03:58 AM.
ryan stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2019, 04:27 AM   #10
Court Jester

Honestly while you can shift gears without using the clutch (you still have to match revs / blip) you can fuck things up if you don’t do it right.
Old April 1st, 2019, 04:38 AM   #11

Not going up you won't, not on these bikes. They are not syncromesh, they are constant mesh with a dog/cone selector. There are only two modes: under load and unloaded. Under load it will not shift, unloaded it shifts. There isn't a syncro to wear out, no free gears to grind. The only possible way to mess up an upshift would be to not unload and put your entire weight on the lever, damaging the selector linkages. So if you're not an idiot it's impossible to damage your transmission doing a clutchless upshift

I've only been doing it on multiple bikes for a couple decades though, maybe you know more than me...
Old April 1st, 2019, 10:14 AM   #12
Court Jester

You can up shift safely if you know what you are doing. That’s what I said and I’m sticking to it. For riding around on the streets you’d be going over the speed limit to do it correctly. In fact my QS is pretty much worthless on city streets.

At the track it’s fantastic.
Old April 1st, 2019, 06:38 PM   #13

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchase View Post
You can up shift safely if you know what you are doing. Thatís what I said and Iím sticking to it. For riding around on the streets youíd be going over the speed limit to do it correctly. In fact my QS is pretty much worthless on city streets.

At the track itís fantastic.
TChase, you're running the 848 corse shifter aren't you? I have the Annitori and as long as I'm on the throttle decently I can up shift clutchless & smoothly
cbr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2019, 07:06 PM   #14
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6 View Post
TChase, you're running the 848 corse shifter aren't you? I have the Annitori and as long as I'm on the throttle decently I can up shift clutchless & smoothly
Yep on the track bike, the street bike is stock with reverse shift.

It’s 100% safe to upshift with a QS system that’s what they are for. I just don’t really see the need for surface streets imho.

I think the debate... is clutchless shifting with a stock set up. As has been stated these bikes are easy to do it, hell all the QS system does is feel the pressure on the shifter and cuts the throttle creating the necessary “blip”.

“Safe” is a relative term it’s not only about screwing up the bike as that is difficult. Hard shift is a hard shift and while the is no evidence I have to ask myself is clutchless shifting a contributing factor for the need of the internal shift linkage service bulletin? Probably not <shrugs>

Anyways it’s a riders preference I’d advice adding a system that assists you instead of adding the need to blip the throttle. We have enough to pay attention to while riding..

Considering we can do what 50 In first..?

Last edited by Tchase; April 1st, 2019 at 07:12 PM.
Tchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2019, 08:23 PM   #15

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]
[996]
[1198 S]

Blipping the throttle to match revs is for downshifts.
trussdude is offline   Reply With Quote