Best option for engine protectors - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 848

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ryan stewart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5th, 2019, 07:08 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Best option for engine protectors

So I've been looking and the big brands everyone complains that the hardware that they come with is absolute crap, like bolts breaking off in cases, etc. $300 for something with tin hardware doesn't sit well with me, makes me doubt everything about them.

Looking for the thin options that go over clutch/crank/pump covers and would help keep my fluids in on a reasonable low side.

Looking to pair them up with underbody sliders. I'm looking to keep everything within the plastics so I can leave them on 24/7 and just swap to/from sacrificial bodywork.
Old May 5th, 2019, 12:21 PM   #2

R&G - been around for awhile, and is super popular amongst serial track riders in EU. I have their crash protection around my bike. Like them a lot, no fanfare or fancy marketing, just great products.

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/Ducati/848/2012/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 5th, 2019, 05:18 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

have you looked at GB racing?
cbr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2019, 07:05 PM   #4

Honestly both of those were the ones where I was seeing reviews where the hardware was subpar. That is what has me hesitant, reports of the supplied stuff snapping off just torquing it down.

I had looked at both since they offered 3 piece kits for the major stuff.
Old May 6th, 2019, 06:42 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

where did you see reports of GB Racing having poor quality hardware?
cbr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2019, 05:28 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]
[1198 S]

I'm on my 3rd Ducati 848 racebike. All have had Woodcraft underbody sliders and clutch side case savers.

My current 848 even has the R&G water pump cover.

I've crashed on all of it. A shitload of times. The R&G underbody sliders were replaced with Woodcraft immediately. They didnt fare well. The R&G water pump cover, however, has worked brilliantly.

I'd check Woodcraft.
Old May 8th, 2019, 11:07 AM   #7

Ill check that woodcraft clutch cover. The woodcraft sliders arent underbody though are they? All I see are the ones mounted pretty far out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6 View Post
where did you see reports of GB Racing having poor quality hardware?
Maybe its just R&G but I swear I saw the same for GB on places like STG, Revzilla, etc. But I cant get the reviews to load at the moment.

Also ran across this company: Ducati Sliders That Really WORK!
Old May 8th, 2019, 12:29 PM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

I suspect that most hardware issues on a Ducati (not just aftermarket parts) are due to not using a torque wrench or being too lazy to check the manual. If you're used to a KawaYamaHondaZuki then your normal may be to just snug things up by hand. On a Duc, that equals broken bolts...
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Svensken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 04:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
I'm on my 3rd Ducati 848 racebike. All have had Woodcraft underbody sliders and clutch side case savers.

My current 848 even has the R&G water pump cover.

I've crashed on all of it. A shitload of times. The R&G underbody sliders were replaced with Woodcraft immediately. They didnt fare well. The R&G water pump cover, however, has worked brilliantly.

I'd check Woodcraft.

Damn... this is disheartening. I have their under fairing sliders... luckily I haven’t tested them (...yet, but hopefully never).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 12th, 2019, 08:22 AM   #10

Guess for teh R&G underbody sliders what happened when they failed? Did they just not do a satisfacotry job compared to the through-body ones?

I was hoping to just have a setup all tucked in so I wouldn't have to do anything when switching from street to track bodywork. Another question, do those little CF caps for the tank make ANY difference or you think they are a placebo?
Old May 13th, 2019, 09:42 AM   #11
Court Jester

For sliders you you might want to check out speedymotto.

I havn't really "crashed" but I did go down and they Axle sliders did the job.

https://www.speedymoto.com/

They offer under body (which I have)

https://www.speedymoto.com/products/sliders/
Old May 16th, 2019, 12:28 AM   #12

Question- what are the sliders for? Racetrack or street?.

Asking based on if track woodcraft as they are very well known for over a decade I know of.

If for street I state don’t bother.. you can look for carbon covers to help and look the part but for my thoughts on this is based upon ppl thinking it will save you bike.

If it’s going down the protection can help “minimise” damage but not stop it.

So either way your still paying for fairing damage, mirrors, levers etc. What you pay for protection can be the cost of your excess and whom wants to drill a hole for some of the items to be placed.
Kidnplay01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 06:31 AM   #13
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidnplay01 View Post

Asking based on if track woodcraft as they are very well known for over a decade I know of.

If for street I state don’t bother.. you can look for carbon covers to help and look the part but for my thoughts on this is based upon ppl thinking it will save you bike.

If it’s going down the protection can help “minimise” damage but not stop it.

So either way your still paying for fairing damage, mirrors, levers etc. What you pay for protection can be the cost of your excess and whom wants to drill a hole for some of the items to be placed.
Track or street they are going to offer protection. Now in some rare cases a slider could cause more damage. This is why I prefer to go with under body, the slider and the fairing work together to take the damage.

Yes fairings are expensive, but they are a cosmetic expense.
Old May 16th, 2019, 03:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidnplay01 View Post
Both, tracking a street bike. I know they wont save everything but would like to mitigate damage on a low-side.

Also the reason I would like to stay under the fairing is to make it easier to swap stuff out. Im on a track only once/twice a month. Im fine pulling stuff and swapping plastics but if I can find some lowside protection to help prevent totaling the bike or leaving fluids on the track Id much prefer.

So a sacrificial layer over the covers are a must, just want to make sure they are quality. The idea of the underbody sliders was hopefully to spare the frame, not the plastics.

My feelings on the big protruding sliders is the same as tchase. Buying plastic sucks, but having a lver like device sticking out of the side dig in and turning a slide into a tumble seems unappealing.
Tchase likes this.

Last edited by ryan stewart; May 16th, 2019 at 03:02 PM.
ryan stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 03:36 PM   #15
Court Jester

Yep there is some debate that have in the sliders outside of the fairings can actually cause the bike to flip/tumble.

I will say this the sliders will not save the bike from a technical “total”. In my accident I came to a stop but could not keep the bike up , I laid it down at a near full stop.

A very small bend to the tabs for that the rear sets mount to. Barley flakes the paint was enough to “total” the bike.

I tore the bike down to bare frame, brought it to a frame shop (that’s all they do) and he said it only needed a very small tweak to the tab, no need to weld etc.. the frame was fine. He said you want the tabs to take the impact.

Anyways I was actually glad it was totaled because the damage was very minimal yet I got a check for over 8k, and bought the bike back for 1500.

I Would recommend a set of track fairings no matter what you decide it’s a lot cheaper than replacing the oem.

The sliders will help no doubt...