New Member Maintenance questions - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 848

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pawelgawel
  • 1 Post By Tchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2019, 10:54 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

New Member Maintenance questions

Hey Guys...So I picked up my 2011 Ducati 848 EVO Matte Black about 4 years ago with approx. 950 miles on it. Since getting the bike, it now has 1990 miles on it and has not been started or ridden since fall 2017.

I've never done any maintenance on the bike ie belts, oil change etc.

Now I am quite mechanically inclined... curious as to see suggestions on what my next steps should be.

Bike was stored with Stabil and I have not drained down the tank as of yet. One question is should I drain down the tank and put some new gas and run it, or should i be that worried about the belts snapping at this point?

Was looking for suggestions as to what some more experienced Ducati guys would do in this situation.

Would my best bet be to just drain down the tank, do an oil change, change the belts and then run it?

Chain is pretty much shot, would assume i should do a new one of those as well.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the 848 not running for a couple of years and how serious the belts are.

Thanks guys, happy to be here finally!
quik55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old May 12th, 2019, 12:56 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[916]

Mileage is the controlling factor by Ducati in determining synchronous timing belt replacement interval. For a bike with 1,990 miles it's not an issue. 12,000 could be an issue.

The second determining factor is age. Ducati previously used 5 years. Gates, the manufacturer of Ducati belts, states that acceptable storage life is 8 years. This assumes the environmental conditions are met. If a synchronous belt drive will meet those described conditions, Gates would fully expect the belt to provide full industrial service as designed, even if stored for 8 years on the drive under tension. Your eight years are up.

So (as Brad The Bike Boy puts it): keep the belts "for as long as you can withstand the niggling paranoia of impending doom."
Attached Images

Shazaam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 06:09 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

the 2012 848evo owners manual says replace belts every 2 years or 12,000miles which ever occurs first.
cbr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2019, 05:29 AM   #4

if its been 8 years, replace the belts, probably the fork oil is nicely degraded by now so a fresh oil would do you good along with seals, coolant obviously and hate to say it but even tires. check them and see how hard they are. hard tires are basically a death trap and its the only thing that connects you to the road.
Make the bike "fresh" in every aspect. TIME eats away on everything.
Tchase likes this.
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2019, 10:55 AM   #5
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
if its been 8 years, replace the belts, probably the fork oil is nicely degraded by now so a fresh oil would do you good along with seals, coolant obviously and hate to say it but even tires. check them and see how hard they are. hard tires are basically a death trap and its the only thing that connects you to the road.
Make the bike "fresh" in every aspect. TIME eats away on everything.

Actually it's oxidation that eats away at everything

Someone once told me if not for us having to breath oxygen we'd live much much longer..

Never the less your advice is solid, I think it's 5 years on the tires.
pawelgawel likes this.
Old July 12th, 2019, 07:04 AM   #6

its all relative where it sits and how its handled as well. Tires that sit in a proper storage can maintain the integrity and performance for much longer, but 5 years is the "typical" lifespan on a "normal" usage.
This can be argued about LIDS as well... for some reason people think a helmet is NOT GOOD after 5 years lol
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote