New owner (maybe)...question about bike price and aftermarket parts - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 848

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By htmpunisher
  • 1 Post By tboooe
  • 1 Post By cbr6
  • 1 Post By tboooe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23rd, 2019, 09:36 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

New owner (maybe)...question about bike price and aftermarket parts

Hello, I am seriously thinking of picking up a 2012 848 EVO. Up to this point I have only ridden small cc grey market bikes from Japan, specifically the RVF400 (V4) and NSR250 (2 stroke) so I am little apprehensive about stepping up to such a big bike. Anyway, I have two general questions:

1. The EVO I am considering has 15K miles but looks incredibly clean, is completely stock, and just had the major service. The asking price is $7K. Does this seem reasonable?

2. Like most on this forum I love to tinker and work on my bikes. I am worried that due to the age of this bike, the availability of after-market and even Ducati parts is limited. For example, just searching for the seat cowl on the Ducati website did not turn up anything. When possible I prefer to get genuine factory parts and accessories.

Thank you in advance and hopefully I will be a first time Ducati owner in a few days.
tboooe is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old December 23rd, 2019, 09:47 AM   #2
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
Hello, I am seriously thinking of picking up a 2012 848 EVO. Up to this point I have only ridden small cc grey market bikes from Japan, specifically the RVF400 (V4) and NSR250 (2 stroke) so I am little apprehensive about stepping up to such a big bike. Anyway, I have two general questions:

1. The EVO I am considering has 15K miles but looks incredibly clean, is completely stock, and just had the major service. The asking price is $7K. Does this seem reasonable?

2. Like most on this forum I love to tinker and work on my bikes. I am worried that due to the age of this bike, the availability of after-market and even Ducati parts is limited. For example, just searching for the seat cowl on the Ducati website did not turn up anything. When possible I prefer to get genuine factory parts and accessories.

Thank you in advance and hopefully I will be a first time Ducati owner in a few days.
Think of the 848 like a 600, it's a nice inbetween size without having to step up to 1000cc. It's a very forgiving bike for it's stance.

The price sounds about right of course this depends on your location. I've seen them as low as 5k and as much as 10k all depends on the condition of the bike and the location your are buying from.

I have the same exact year that I purchased new and well over 50k miles ( did have to have the engine rebuilt) if you can wrench Ducati might be for you, but remember these bikes take more care than the Japanese brands. You can down load a copy of the 848 work shop manual many links on this sight, it's for the 2008 model but has most of what you need to know.

As for availability of parts, I've never had an issue OEM or used off ebay or off this forum. Hell I love the 848 I built another for track only out of spare parts. The seat cowl cover is technically an "accessorie" I can see the OEM not keeping those things in stock. But for stock parts I've always been able to source OEM.

If you post some pics of the bike you are looking at the guys here might chime in they are really good at seeing what "could" be wrong with the bike.
Old December 23rd, 2019, 10:46 AM   #3

Thank you @tchase. I've never been shy about throwing money at my bikes but the two things I am most worried about is the need to sort out the rear shock (I only weigh 145lbs) and the expanding gas tank issue. Dealing with the shock is just a matter of time and money so I need to consider that with the price of the bike. The expanding tank issue has me really worried. I know I can buy aftermarket tanks or even an aluminum one from the 1198 SP but once again, additional money. Even though the bike is 7 years old and doesnt seem to have the tank issue, is it safe to assume its just a ticking time bomb and will happen eventually?
Old December 23rd, 2019, 10:57 AM   #4
Court Jester

Quote:
Thank you @tchase. I've never been shy about throwing money at my bikes but the two things I am most worried about is the need to sort out the rear shock (I only weigh 145lbs) and the expanding gas tank issue. Dealing with the shock is just a matter of time and money so I need to consider that with the price of the bike. The expanding tank issue has me really worried. I know I can buy aftermarket tanks or even an aluminum one from the 1198 SP but once again, additional money. Even though the bike is 7 years old and doesnt seem to have the tank issue, is it safe to assume its just a ticking time bomb and will happen eventually?
I know the facts do not support my view but I don't have the expansion issue. It grew a little but not much, where you want to look is where the frame mount on the stabilizer. How close does the tube look to the tank?

Ticking time bomb, no there are also work around for those who keep the tank there is an aftermarket bracket that allows you to secure the mounting bolt of the tank to the frame.

This is what I can tell you from day one of taking my bike off the floor. I've gased up direct from pump maybe 20 times over the years. Most times I fill up gas cans and store in the garage and fill up from the cans. What I notice is the can certainly expand. I'm guessing some how the way I refuel has given me relief in the expanding tank issue.

It's not a time bomb so to speak, It sounds like you've done a lot of research so you should know the suspect is ethanol, I would try to find gas free of ethanol, or maybe take on my method of putting the fuel in cans first, let them take the expansion. I've garaged mine since day one so I don't know if that has anything to do with it either.

A bigger worry to me is the lower bearings, if you are gentle and don't abuse the rev limiter you may never have a failure, but I believe it's not if it's when.. I had both my engines printed at the ducshop and no issues going forward.
Old December 23rd, 2019, 10:58 AM   #5
Court Jester

And the rear shock is pretty easy to address that just take money...
Old December 23rd, 2019, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchase View Post
It grew a little but not much, where you want to look is where the frame mount on the stabilizer. How close does the tube look to the tank?
Can you please be a little more specific? Are you referring to the steering damper?

Quote:
I would try to find gas free of ethanol, or maybe take on my method of putting the fuel in cans first, let them take the expansion. I've garaged mine since day one so I don't know if that has anything to do with it either.
Thats a good idea, or I should step up to the Corse edition since it has the aluminum tank as standard.

Quote:
I had both my engines printed at the ducshop and no issues going forward.
I am a huge fan of blueprinting. I had that done to my RVF400 and NSR250 at HRC and it transformed the bikes. May I ask where you got it done and roughly how much did it cost you?
Old December 23rd, 2019, 11:59 AM   #7
Court Jester

Quote:
Can you please be a little more specific? Are you referring to the steering damper?

Thats a good idea, or I should step up to the Corse edition since it has the aluminum tank as standard.

I am a huge fan of blueprinting. I had that done to my RVF400 and NSR250 at HRC and it transformed the bikes. May I ask where you got it done and roughly how much did it cost you?
See pic yes the steering damper, as you can see in this pic there is no clearance.

The aluminum tank is a nice upgrade no doubt.

Ducshop, about 4k Mark knows his stuff..

https://ducshop.com/
Attached Images

Old December 25th, 2019, 05:28 PM   #8

I had a 848 Evo, I stepped up to a 1199 Panigale, but in the end, 848 Evo is still my favorite bike I've ever ridden. I've owned a 01 R1, 06 R6, 06 Versus 650, 2012 Vstar650, 06 CBR and now Panigale. 848 EVO for the win.

Quote:

Tchase likes this.
htmpunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2019, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by htmpunisher View Post
I had a 848 Evo, I stepped up to a 1199 Panigale, but in the end, 848 Evo is still my favorite bike I've ever ridden. I've owned a 01 R1, 06 R6, 06 Versus 650, 2012 Vstar650, 06 CBR and now Panigale. 848 EVO for the win.
Thank you! I hope I feel the same way. I know this bike will feel really different than my previous ones. Honestly, I am a little scared of moving up to such a bigger bike!

BTW, looks like I've been able to find a used TTX DU913 shock and ducshop flatlink. I am pretty stoked because at my dainty weigth, the stock shock does not even budge at all when I sit on it.
Old December 26th, 2019, 10:45 AM   #10
Court Jester

Quote:
Thank you! I hope I feel the same way. I know this bike will feel really different than my previous ones. Honestly, I am a little scared of moving up to such a bigger bike!

BTW, looks like I've been able to find a used TTX DU913 shock and ducshop flatlink. I am pretty stoked because at my dainty weigth, the stock shock does not even budge at all when I sit on it.
You may want to look at the Foresaken link as it does not require a modification to the shock as some do. You will also probably need to buy a adjustment rod.
Old December 26th, 2019, 10:50 AM   #11

Quote:
You may want to look at the Foresaken link as it does not require a modification to the shock as some do. You will also probably need to buy a adjustment rod.
Thank you for the advice. The DU913 has already been modded by ducshop to work with their link. I am getting a complete used kit with the ride height adjustment tool. Xmas is never ending for me right now!
Tchase likes this.
Old December 30th, 2019, 06:03 PM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

I really can't agree with "think of an 848 like a 600". It has more power then a CBR900rr and a lot of older liter bikes. It really compares more to a GSXR750
Tchase likes this.
cbr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2019, 07:23 PM   #13
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6 View Post
I really can't agree with "think of an 848 like a 600". It has more power then a CBR900rr and a lot of older liter bikes. It really compares more to a GSXR750
I think I gave the word “like” too much range. You are absolutely correct closer to a 750. Last time I road a 750 Suzuki was in the early 90s and a Suzuki 500(550?). In the early 2000s I got my CBR 600 and I guess in my mind the 500/550 was a dog, the 750 was a beast and the 600 was a good fit for solo but I road 2up a lot with the wife and it struggled. Mind you all my riding experience prior to my 848 was nothing more than straight lines and WOT. I couldn’t lean a turn because I simply didn’t know how..

I rolled the 848 new off the floor having not road my 600 for 5 years, in fact I hadn’t ridden at all. I was intimidated because it was brand new, and I knew it was torque heavy and not smooth like the Japanese brands I had ridden. Halfway way home I had no more butterflies.

So the “like” a 600 was in comparison in my head of the 500 and 750 a nice middle range size. I had originally gone to the Ducati dealer to purchase a used 1098, I’m very happy I stepped down to the 848, especially after having a 1098 SF on loan while they were fixing the 848.

Anyways thanks for pointing out my comment, no the 848 is way more balls than a 600 but it’s not as intimidating as the 1098.

But it’s too late he bought the 848

Last edited by Tchase; December 30th, 2019 at 07:25 PM.
Tchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 11:09 AM   #14

Quote:
I was intimidated because it was brand new, and I knew it was torque heavy and not smooth like the Japanese brands I had ridden. Halfway way home I had no more butterflies.....

But itís too late he bought the 848
I felt exactly the same way a few days ago when I finally rode my 848 around the neighborhood. I am so used to small 400cc and 250cc bikes that feel lighter and easier to manage. The 848 actually weighs the same as my RVF400 but I feel more perched on top off the 848 and its physical dimensions gives me a much different perception.

Being my first Ducati I was surprised by the lumpiness of the engine and how lazy it felt compared to my other bikes. Maybe effortless is a better word than lazy. With my Hondas, I knew I was going fast because everything about the bike let me know it was (the revs, the sounds, the shifting, etc.). The 848 on the other hand just nonchalantly delivers power in a sneaky, steady way.
Before I know it I am going way too fast! That being said, I have no regrets getting the 848 and I am already knee deep in mods and learning about the bike. I'm thinking about picking up a used engine and having it shipped to Ducshop for a complete blueprint. Tinkering on this bike will be fun!
Tchase likes this.
Old January 16th, 2020, 12:09 AM   #15
TTV

Quote:

Congrats!
I picked up my 848 Evo recently too. Till then, I had been riding, at best, a 40 bhp KTM Duke 390, Honda CRF 230 and that too sporadically in the last few years. Needless to say, modulating the throttle on the 848 has been an intimidating affair. There's so much power and so much torque. Phew! As long as you respect the machine and accept the learning curve, its all good.
Hope you are having some luck with sourcing the accessories/parts.

Cheers