Noob...no room to adjust preload on rear shock?? - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 848

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 26th, 2019, 07:07 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Noob...no room to adjust preload on rear shock??

Please forgive me if this is a total noob question but I cant seem to find enough space to adjust the rear shock preload. I am trying to reduce the amount of preload so I assume I have to turn the collar counter clockwise (when looking down at the shock). The only place I could find to do this right behind the frame on the left side of the bike. Using the spanner from my KW coilovers I was able to rotate the collar a bit until the spanner hit the shock reservoir. I now cant seem to get the spanner to engage the collar "teeth" again because it is not rotated enough. I keep hitting the frame.

Am I missing something? I can't imagine I need to remove the exhaust to do this preload adjustment. Is it because I am using my KW spanner? If that is the problem what should I be using?

Last edited by tboooe; December 26th, 2019 at 07:32 PM.
tboooe is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old December 27th, 2019, 07:38 AM   #2
Court Jester

There are still a few active users that can help you with this but for now maybe these will help. I'm not a noob to the forum but I'm much more of a bolt on bolt off

https://www.ducati.org/forums/848/48...k-preload.html

https://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1...k-preload.html
Old December 27th, 2019, 10:40 AM   #3

Thank you so much for the reply, I really appreciate it. Those links talk about how to set preload. I am trying to figure out how to adjust the preload. From more research it seems that perhaps my KW spanner may be the issue. The front "tooth" looks a bit wider than the one I've seen for the Showa/Ohlins spanner. I think its this little bit of extra width that is preventing me from getting my spanner to engage the shock preload adjustment ring. Even if I get this correct spanner it sure seems like adjusting preload is a bitch on these bikes because there is simply very little space to do it. Its no big deal since I am getting a used TTX anyway which has hydraulic preload adjust.
tboooe is offline   Reply With Quote