Ducat 848 comfort - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 848

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 7 Summits
  • 1 Post By Tchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

Ducat 848 comfort

My first bike was a 2003 Honda cbr 600, I had it for one year, the riding position on that bike was horribly uncomfortable for me, I have herniated and degenerative discs in my lower spine, and bulging discs in my neck. The riding position on the Honda would have my body in a really crouched forward position and holding my head up with the weight of the helmet would really aggravate the discs in my neck that it would affect the nerve and pretty much make it difficult to move my arm, while I was riding. When I was about to purchase the Ducati, I was told that the riding position was even worse on these bikes. I didn't care, the bike was so sweet looking that I was willing to deal with the pain. This is my second year with the bike, 2011 evo, and I've yet to experience any discomfort, or neck, arm pain, and I'm still wondering why I was told it was so uncomfortable, even by a Ducati tech. Have you guys had similar experiences or how would you rate comfort between Ducati and other bikes? I've always heard Kawasaki ninja was one of the most comfortable bikes to ride, but I've never ridden one.
sedizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Banned

ducatis in the registry:
[749 R]
[848]

I can't ride Japanese sport bikes, they're too fat, feel like straddling a horse.

The 848/1098/1198 isn't a comfortable bike. But its not painfully uncomfortable. I too wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is suffering pains when riding.

I mean, the seat height, bike width, peg height and bar to seat distance is probably all better suited to your frame... thats most likely the logical reason why it works better. But perhaps you enjoy riding the bike so much, your pains just don't exist anymore?
tye1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

I wish I could get rid of pain that way lol. I did enjoy my cbr and loved to ride it, but after a full day of being on it, I couldn't move without being in severe pain for the rest of the week. No matter what I do, the pain is there, even on the Ducati, but the pain doesn't increase after a day on it and I'm fine. I thought after the cbr that sportbikes just wouldn't be for me, but thankfully that's not the case. I'm not ready for a cruiser just yet. I'm also not saying the 848 is like riding on a cloud, but for me the difference was dramatic
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:11 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

I feel your pain. I have a two herniated discs as well as degenerative arthritis. Really painful and annoying when it flares up. Funny thing though is that I have no problems riding long distances on the 848. I've done many days of 400 - 500 miles with almost no pain at all. The aggressive riding position surprisingly relieves some of the pain. Just trying to put off surgery as long as I can but it is inevitable. Decades of various high impact sports takes a toll on your body.
Wil likes this.
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:24 AM   #5
Wil

No ducatis in the registry

I'm with 7 Summits. I've lower back injuries and have had surgery on it and the 848 has turned out to be the most comfortable bike for my 6' frame that I've owned/ridden in the past few decades. It fits my body proportion quite well. You're condition might be a little more severe having back and neck problems. Maybe the Streetfighter might be a bit more comfy for you.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:44 AM   #6
Court Jester

I've had back surgery (lower bulging disc). Sitting in the car kills me riding the bike is pure pleasure compared to sitting in a car.

Having said that Sports Bikes in general or not made for "comfort".

But I also had a Honda CBR 600 and it felt good to me, so I don't know if I'm much help.

** I'd also add that putting more effort into squeezing the tank with your legs helps a lot!

Last edited by Tchase; April 11th, 2014 at 07:48 AM.
Tchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

For you guys that have had surgery how does it feel post op? How long has it been? What made you finally bite the bullet and go under the knife? I do have an inversion table that I use religiously and that seems to help a lot. Funny thing is I can't ride in a car for long distances but have no problem in my SUV or truck. Lumbar support goes a long way.
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #8
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Summits View Post
For you guys that have had surgery how does it feel post op? How long has it been? What made you finally bite the bullet and go under the knife? I do have an inversion table that I use religiously and that seems to help a lot. Funny thing is I can't ride in a car for long distances but have no problem in my SUV or truck. Lumbar support goes a long way.

My problem was abuse of my back over the years and being 6'1 didn't help. I tried everything before surgery.
For a long time the pain was manageable it would come and go depending if I was abusing it. But once it started shooting lightning bolts down my legs, numbing my ass and no way to sit comfortably I gave in.
My boss recommended me to his back surgeon. I brought in my scans and x-rays. He only wanted to see the x-rays, pissed me off paid a fortune for the scans. In one minute he says yep you are a perfect candidate.
Showed me where the disc was bulging, he looks at his calendar says I can get you in this Thursday.
I'm like whoa wait a second I've never even had a stich I need to talk to my wife!
Checked in at 5am in the morning the made a small incision in the small of my lower back, pulled my nerves to one side, grinded down the disc and sewed me up.
I woke up after 1/2 hour surgery felt ok, nurse says Dr. says when you can get up and pee you can leave, "how’s your pain?" fine she says you sure? They didn't give you much medicine during surgery. I'm like I'm ok, wife comes in I told her I need to get out of her ASAP (I don't like hospitals) 1/2 hour later I get up go pee, nurse comes back checks me over and says you really should take some medicine she gives me a cup of liquid, gave my wife the prescription for Vicodin. While my wife got the meds I got dressed headed home.
On the ride home the cup of medicine hit and I was slurring!
Got home felt a little sick laid down woke up thought someone hit me in the back with a sledge hammer, took the Vicodin. It’s the moving of the nerves that causes the pain they have to stretch them...
Anyhow two weeks being a bum and the results were unbelievable! NO PAIN!
But when I do stupid things I get reminders, the Dr. said if I abuse it again I would be back..
Hope this helps.
7 Summits likes this.

Last edited by Tchase; April 11th, 2014 at 11:17 AM.
Tchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:46 PM   #9

Looks like the CBR 600rr is widely received here. I LOVED that bike and if I tracked a lot I would get one just for the track. It was my second bike and I learned a lot on it. Pretty damn quick too. I still have to actually ride my 848 evo to make a better comparison now that the weather is getting nicer... but I will say the 600rr is a superb bike (07-08).

Gone, but not forgotten:
2011 848 EVO Dark Stealth
2013 Monster 1100 EVO (Stolen)
k7 GSX-R 750
2007 600rr
ejewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #10
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
Looks like the CBR 600rr is widely received here. I LOVED that bike and if I tracked a lot I would get one just for the track. It was my second bike and I learned a lot on it. Pretty damn quick too. I still have to actually ride my 848 evo to make a better comparison now that the weather is getting nicer... but I will say the 600rr is a superb bike (07-08).
I think mine was a f2orf3? she never let me down
Old April 11th, 2014, 02:19 PM   #11

Seats, & Adjustments

I have considered changing the original seat due to the discomfort while riding (pain in the...). It just feels like there is not enough cushion (but I'm getting used to it). I am going to look into buying a better seat.

Think about and even play with making necessary adjustments to your riding experience by adjusting foot pegs/etc.

Put it this way.......the ride/experience on a ducati overshadows any discomfort I might feel
2003 Yamaha R6 (sold)
esz848Ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:30 PM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Summits View Post
A friend of mine got his lower back discs taken out and replaced with the artificial gel discs, they cut him open from the front and went in, he says his back felt brand new after the surgery. I had that surgery offered to me when it was first introduced, I passed. They could only give me a 50/50 chance of feeling better. I'm not going to do surgery and have scars and have a pretty good chance that the pain remains the same, or worse. I'll just deal with it