Best bike I ever hated - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 899

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 7 Summits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2016, 08:21 PM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[899]

Thumbs down Best bike I ever hated

Firstly, I'd just like to say that I love(d?) this bike.

I purchased my 899 a year and 2 months ago and I've been having troubles ever since. About 3-4 months into ownership of my brand new bike, I was taking a hard left turn up a steep embankment with traffic in close tow when my engine suddenly died. This is the first time something like this has happened to me in 9 nears of riding and I had no idea what was happening or how to save myself. I somehow managed to avoid getting run over by the truck behind me or smash into the parked cars while trying to avoid dying. After a quick inspection I found: The bike wouldn't turn over but the dash came on with the fan and a random error on the screen. Nothing could be done to turn it back on, so I had it towed.

After a week, the mechanics told me they didn't know what was wrong, but that they (reset it?) and gave it back with something along the lines of 'hopefully it doesn't happen again' -_-

About 4 months later the same thing happened while taking a turn. I don't know whether or not the turning has anything to do with this issue, but I can assure you that this is my greatest cause for concern. Once again, I lost control of the bike, but again, managed to keep it upright and dragged it to the side of the road. The same symptoms: it wouldn't turn over, but dash came on with the fan and a random error on the screen. Tow truck was called and the bike wasn't seen again for two weeks this time.

Since it happened twice, my mechanics had to take it all apart to find out what was happening. They didn't really know so they had a Ducati Engineer come over and look at it. From what I know, he didn't understand it either. Essentially they just put a new ECU on the bike (under warranty) and handed it back and told me it shouldn't happen again. It was about now that red flags were going off and I was beginning to wonder what I got myself into. Anyways, I hoped for the best and tried to push it to the back of my mind as I told myself 'they surely fixed it this time'.

Wrong.

About 21 days ago the same thing has happened (which was the worst yet). The bike again died mid turn, but this time, it randomly sputtered back to life and start going crazy! The engine revs climbed to about 4-5k (without me adding any gas) and started jerking wildly. I quickly pulled the clutch in and it died. I'm so pissed at this stage. How I explained it does not do the situation justice - it really scared me. Dying is one thing - turning randomly back on and gunning it without gas is another. I had it immediately towed and it's been at the mechanic ever since. I don't even care what is wrong with it anymore. I want a new bike, or my money back.

I've had to call Ducati repeatedly for updates on the situation as I've put a formal request in for a refund under the Australian Consumer Law and cited it as a warranty claim as well, but they haven't come back to me with anything. My poor dealer is telling me that Ducati should be the ones updating me with information on the warranty claim but Ducati has continually failed to do so. I don't know what's in my future, but I feel that the community should be aware of what to expect from Ducati as a result. This is apalling - the bike is only a year old and it's tried to kill me three times. Tread carefully.
Jarvin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old December 13th, 2016, 10:03 PM   #2

No ducatis in the registry

Best bike I ever hated

Bummer bro. Hope you find a good ride soon. I've always been scared to get a new gen year one anything exp with major changes made.

Last edited by streetfighterusa86; December 13th, 2016 at 10:08 PM.
streetfighterusa86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016, 10:54 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Sounds like a fly-by-wire/sensor issue.
Old December 14th, 2016, 05:56 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

Sorry to hear about your bike. Maybe a gopro is a good idea to capture the riding?
Tchase and RNJ12 like this.
Old December 14th, 2016, 06:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Summits View Post
Sorry to hear about your bike. Maybe a gopro is a good idea to capture the riding?

It helped my friend Phil. Even though sounds silly they are a great insurance prop and dealers like it so they understand the noise and what goes on without the silly sounds coming from you.
RNJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2016, 08:49 PM   #6

What State in Australia are you?
Able Duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 06:22 PM   #7

Man that's terrible! You've got a lemon for sure. I agree, after the 3rd time they should replace the bike, especially since nobody can even tell you what the issue is!
Hope it all works out mate.