Day 1 of many to come for a 996 overhaul - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 916/996/998/748

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2019, 10:52 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Day 1 of many to come for a 996 overhaul

First, I intend on rebuilding this bike over the course of the next year and making it rather custom to my liking yet keeping it fairly stock looking --> to those who don't know the difference.

So I bought this yesterday (Saturday June 15, 2019) and the guy said it was from a movie, Biker Boyz. Sure enough if you search YouTube you'll see various bits from the movie using this bike. They crashed, rode it pretty hard and such but it seems pretty stout, riders were pro and everything is straight but the fairings are all busted. Lots of oxidization from sitting around (see the mileage/pink slip photo of 130+/- miles since 7/14) the last twelve years, not to mention the photos of the oxi itself.

I took a break from driving after 3 hours at a semi-local Ducati dealership in San Rafael and the counter guy ran my VIN # and told me it was an "R" model, a 99' and was a bit confused as to why there was no Ohlins.... well now i am too ? Since these are not then what are they, they dont look like Showa, though the rear shock is but
the front coloring is a bit off and I personally forgot the other brand the mentioned Ducati uses ? And I thought the "R" models had a number plate on the top triple clamp ?

No I did not get the 5 spoke wheels, I tried but they were gone some time ago. Back to the service and mileage info, No service had been done in a long time, oil looks like black coffee molasses sort of somethin. The sellers brother, who purchased it from the guy on the pink slip, "supposedly" only works on Ducatis, for whatever that's worth BUT I did talk to him and he "promised" the engine is in good shape lest all the sitting. There was no battery and the guy signing the pink slip (all the signatures on it, sounding a bit shady I know but i'm not worried and updates will come on this too.) provided a brand new battery that i did not want put together and charged being i planned on tearing this bike down anyways.

So I got it home and did a little floating around here and found out i could, so i did, send my vin and engine numbers to Ducati North America to know exactly whats goin on.

I woke up this morning and starting tearing in to it slowly, mostly just cleaning some electrical bits and learning how body parts are attached. Simple stuff for now but I have a motorcycle lift to get the rear swing arm off soon. I can't stand casting marks!!! So I will be putting my pipe sander/polisher to work on the rear swing arm not only until they are gone but smoothing it down for a gloss black powder coat. The Termi Exhaust cans will get this treatment too, polish that Alum to a near mirror. Not to the point looking at them scratches them but close. I noticed today the gas tank is not as clean as I saw initially. I recently had a worse gas tank on my Suzuki so i'm not too worried except for the fuel pump, regulator and filters. All of which I know nothing about right now....hint hint.

Next is that photo of the key, the red circle shows how the key will not go in all the way so i can turn and unlock the rear cowl. Sh?t. Luckily while fiddling with the exhaust I saw the other end of the cable and its latch so i freed it up by hand, which is how I got pics of the (for sale) seat. And then that rear seat, is that normal ?

Speaking of the exhaust, why is it two tubes at the cylinder head ? I get that there are two holes exiting the cylinder, one for each valve but why not have an oval tube there ?

And I guess thats about it for now, i'm new here yeah, that.s why some of the photos are upside down, side by side or sideways.... Thanks for any input.
Attached Images

desmosabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old June 16th, 2019, 11:29 PM   #2

The only mistake today...

In cleaning the wires from the battery and a few other fuses etc., I got these two separated from whatever that round thing is (feel free to tell me what it is) before taking note of how how their particular position is relative to that blue w/red stripe wire in its background. That blue w/red stripe wire is not reversible, and the large black wire goes to the starter.
Attached Images

Old July 9th, 2019, 02:05 PM   #3

The round thing is the starter solenoid. The white plastic connector on the back likes to wiggle free and will cause your bike to buck even after you turn the ignition off. A zip tie here is your friend.
PC III
Termignoni pipes
Misc. carbon
super dooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2019, 11:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by super dooper View Post
The round thing is the starter solenoid. The white plastic connector on the back likes to wiggle free and will cause your bike to buck even after you turn the ignition off. A zip tie here is your friend.
Whoa, sketchy. Will do, thanks for that. Feel free to respond in anything I say, the red text is more questionable to me and i need a bit more input from others. It’ll get figure either way with a couple guys help from a local shop but as many avenues of help as i can get is what i’m after. So thanks again. I have a healthy update coming in a week of a bit more teardown and and plans for the next month.

Tags
996 , rebuild