Looking to buy 996s! - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 916/996/998/748

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2016, 07:44 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Looking to buy 996s!

Hi there,

I've been looking around for a Duc 996S spec here:
Ducati 996S

I'd like one with low mileage too. I've been looking around and I can only find the SPS or the R along with a bunch of standard 996's. Does anybody know of anywhere I could get hold of one? I've found one real example so far and the guy is reluctant to get rid of it (Completely understandable!).

Thanks for your help.
aphunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old April 3rd, 2016, 08:05 AM   #2

Where do you live? Not sure we got the 996S in the US.
Disqo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 03:54 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[996 S]

I have a 2001 996S and have done some research on how they were spec'd. The US version is very different from the European version. The US version is basically a monoposto 996 with Ohlins shock and five spoke wheels. It lacks the carbon fiber components (airbox, under fender shield, front mud guard and radiator fairing) and the upgraded engine of the Euro version. The US version should have a "996S" plaque on the triple clamp. The euro version has a numbered 996S plaque.

I remember looking at the Ducati website years ago and seeing the S version and vaguely recall that it "might" have had some carbon fiber trim pieces (chain guard, sprocket cover, heel guards) and came with a track stand and cover but can't be certain. When I bought mine it had some of these carbon pieces and I contacted Ducati in Italy to see if they had any information on what was on the bike at delivery. Unfortunately, all they could do was confirm that my VIN is a US 996S and that it had the original engine.

Good luck in your search.
KWLR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2016, 08:59 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[996 S]

My 996s. 1999 with 25k miles. They exist!
Attached Images

Nick Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 08:11 AM   #5

I also have a 2001 996s US bike. I live in Canada KW's info is acurate. Mine also has the 996s stamp on thr triple clamp, but not numbered.
If u can get your hands on an R jump on that or the SPS as they are rare. Good luck
Camaro996s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 05:21 PM   #6

My 996S is for sale at the moment. Has 1400 original miles and all original. Probably wont find a nicer one. If your seriously interested let me know. [email protected] Bike is in Auburn, AL
jgautney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 08:23 AM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[996 S]

I have 99 'S' it has a triple plate. It also has carbon mudguard, carbon intake covers, and a carbon chain cover. If you are willing to ship there are a few in Canada and with the limited riding season we tend to keep our bikes low in the mileage department.
deuce2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
996s , buy , ducati , sale