959 Panigale battery drain - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 959 Panigale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2018, 02:57 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

959 Panigale battery drain

Hey all, I bought my 2017 Panigale new just over a year ago and ever since I brought it home from the dealer I have had the issue where my battery would drain below the starting threshold within only a few days of sitting. I have searched this forum and found a couple of suggestions, but none have worked. I have event tried swapping out for a Shorai battery (two different ones, in fact). Not leaving the kill switch engaged does seem to help but it still drains in only a handful of days.

The only thing I can think of at this point is that the GPS sensor that the dealer installed for the antitheft system is causing excess drain. I did take the bike into the dealer at one point and they found that the sensor was faulty and they replaced it with a newer version of the sensor. It helped a tad but not much.

I'm running out of ideas here. I'm going to try to disconnect the GPS sensor and see what happens, but in the mean time, anyone have any other thoughts on what the issue might be?
nerdwithdice is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old October 18th, 2018, 04:51 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 1200]

Usually, a fist post starts with an introduction.
I'm sorry you're having an issue.
Why would you swap the batteries? Your bike is under warranty.
I'd suggest you let your dealer sort it out.

Last edited by DarR; October 19th, 2018 at 04:33 AM.
DarR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 08:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
Usually, a fist post starts with an introduction.
I'm sorry you're having an issue.
Why would you swap the batteries? Your bike is under warranty.
I'd suggest you let your dealer sort it out.
Hi, apologies I wasn't aware that it was a requirement to introduce myself first. I'll head over to the intro section after this.

At any rate, as I mentioned in the first post, I took it to the dealer and the only drain they found was from the faulty GPS sensor (for the anti-theft system). They replaced the sensor and it did help, but the battery still only lasts up to 4 or 5 days. The battery was swapped at the suggestion of the dealer. They gave me an option for OEM vs. Shorai and after doing research on here regarding the Shorai, I decided to go with it.

Didn't seem to make a difference unfortunately. Also, the closest Ducati dealer isn't exactly a convenient trek for me given their service hours, so I try to minimize the amount of times I need to go there.
Old October 20th, 2018, 02:46 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S Tri-Color]

could it be the typical immobilizer battery drain curse we are basically all plagued with

Just get a real shorai battery maintenance charger and plug it when you dont use it
martinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2018, 11:36 AM   #5

I was worried the immobilizer would cause battery drain issues, but I can't imagine it drains it that quickly. I'm starting to think that it's a combination between that and the GPS sensor. It's unfortunate, but I guess I'll need to disconnect it this weekend. I keep it in a garage at my apartment anyway so it's not a big issue.

I do have a shorai battery charger, but unfortunately, my garage at my apartment complex doesn't have a power outlet in it I do have a portable jump starter that has the ability plug something into it, so I can use that worst case. It's just annoying that I can't go even a few days without riding it before I need to jump through these hoops :/
Old October 24th, 2018, 04:12 PM   #6

Two things to note-

1. if you have a draw large enough to drain a battery in 2 days, that suggests some accessory (like the GPS) which was wired into the wrong "switched power". Really, the installer should deal with this. It may just be the case that you wont be able to use the GPS thing while the bike isnt running.
2. if you do leave the GPS thing connected, you are going to drain any battery that does not have a 'low voltage cutoff' circuit. Shorai does not have one. EarthX, Full Spectrum Power, and Anti-Gravity have batteries that do have this function. Full Spectrum has a direct fit for all Panigale. Not sure about the other companies. These batteries will basically stop the battery from being drained beyond a useful level, and this will also prevent damage to the battery.
Jason. is offline   Reply With Quote