Crashed my brand new 959. Now wonít shift gears. - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 959 Panigale

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2019, 10:06 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Exclamation Crashed my brand new 959. Now wonít shift gears.

So unfortunately I had a low side on the left side of the bike at about 60mph. Itís a 2018 and I have 595 miles on it. I fell on pavement then the bike slid off the road across a bunch of dirt and gravel. I did have frame sliders installed, but the bike didnít tumble or anything. It just fell on the left side and slid. Itís mostly cosmetic damage and the mirror. But the shift lever boot also snapped off and the bike will not shift gears easily at all. We got in into neutral somehow but I cannot shift into 1st or 2nd even when putting more leverage on the lever with a wrench. No oil or any fluids leaked out or anything. The clutch slave cylinder is visibly untouched on the outside. Engine runs great. Clutch lever adjustment is proper. Clutch pull feels normal.

Any ideas what the problem could be thatís not allowing the gears to shift?

Also could this cause them to total the bike? Thereís already about $3900 worth of parts damage I calculated thatís not including this transmission issue.
Attached Images

Hellfire Beats is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old April 4th, 2019, 10:30 AM   #2

Sorry to hear the bad news, happens to the best of us, shifting problem seems to be related to offsetting the symmetry of the shifting mechanism I would start by replacing the broken pedal then inspect and readjust the shift rod.
zana51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2019, 11:41 AM   #3

Sounds like a simple insurance deductible payment fix. Not to be a jerk, but how do you have a bike that’s over a year old and still hasn’t reached the break in mileage yet? I’ve had my Corse for 2 weeks and it has 310 miles on it.
Old April 4th, 2019, 11:46 AM   #4
Court Jester

This thread might help..

https://www.ducati.org/forums/hyperm...shift-rod.html
Old April 4th, 2019, 12:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchase View Post
I’d let the insurance company figure it out with the repair shop. If they total it, and I don’t know what the OP’s TLF is, but let’s say it’s 75% that would mean about $10K in damage. One thing is certain the OP’s monthly premium will probably jump $150.
Old April 4th, 2019, 12:28 PM   #6
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey D View Post
Iíd let the insurance company figure it out with the repair shop. If they total it, and I donít know what the OPís TLF is, but letís say itís 75% that would mean about $10K in damage. One thing is certain the OPís monthly premium will probably jump $150.
Just wanted to point out why it is probably not shifting.

I don't know about the 959s but on my 848 it had very little damage, scraped lever, scratch on the fairing, but the frame tabs that the foot pegs bolt to was very slightly bent enough to crack the paint. That alone totaled the bike, I lucked out I was not at fault and bought the bike back for 1500.00
EsromRacing likes this.
Old April 4th, 2019, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Just wanted to point out why it is probably not shifting.

I don't know about the 959s but on my 848 it had very little damage, scraped lever, scratch on the fairing, but the frame tabs that the foot pegs bolt to was very slightly bent enough to crack the paint. That alone totaled the bike, I lucked out I was not at fault and bought the bike back for 1500.00
Yeah, I’d be edgy on getting back on a scoot that was deemed “totaled” unless I could be guaranteed that the frame was ok. I had a semi pull out in front of me on my Dyna, laid it down John Woo style, went under the trailer (check that box), and the bike didn’t appear to have much damage and they totaled it. The bike was at a buddy’s shop and I was considering buying it until he inspected the frame which was bent. Cost of buying the bike, new frame and 20 hours of labor wasn’t worth it.

I gave my insurance company all sorts of hate on the Corse because they were validating the rate on how they’re ridden and the cost of parts which pales in comparison to either of these two. Needless to say, they dropped their premium $100.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mikey D; April 4th, 2019 at 02:48 PM.
Mikey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2019, 03:19 PM   #8
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey D View Post
Yeah, Iíd be edgy on getting back on a scoot that was deemed ďtotaledĒ unless I could be guaranteed that the frame was ok. I had a semi pull out in front of me on my Dyna, laid it down John Woo style, went under the trailer (check that box), and the bike didnít appear to have much damage and they totaled it. The bike was at a buddyís shop and I was considering buying it until he inspected the frame which was bent. Cost of buying the bike, new frame and 20 hours of labor wasnít worth it.

I gave my insurance company all sorts of hate on the Corse because they were validating the rate on how theyíre ridden and the cost of parts which pales in comparison to either of these two. Needless to say, they dropped their premium $100.
How about that mine was a semi running me off the road. Had him on GoPro so he paid dearly.

I took the bike down to frame and had it checked at a frame shop, all good!
Old April 4th, 2019, 09:58 PM   #9

Quote:
but the frame tabs that the foot pegs bolt to was very slightly bent enough to crack the paint. That alone totaled the bike, I lucked out I was not at fault and bought the bike back for 1500.00
happens more often than people think. lovely thing isnt it

https://www.ducati.org/forums/parts/...ml#post1188065
EsromRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2019, 06:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zana51 View Post
Sorry to hear the bad news, happens to the best of us, shifting problem seems to be related to offsetting the symmetry of the shifting mechanism I would start by replacing the broken pedal then inspect and readjust the shift rod.
Got a left over new. Got it in January. Lots of road salt this winter. So only did about 400 miles before the weather started breaking. I’m in NJ.

Hellfire Beats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2019, 03:56 PM   #11
W17

Sounds like you broke one of the pins on the gear selector this will prevent you from being able to change gears .
It's not too hard to fix . You can either replace the selector or press the pin out and replace it . I used a pin from a roller bearing it worked fine