999 vs. New 959 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 959 Panigale

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tracy749s
  • 1 Post By Proctologist
  • 1 Post By Tube Guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2016, 02:14 PM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[Supersport 800]

999 vs. New 959

I have owned my 2003 999 for 4 years now and im looking to upgrade. Considering trading it in for the 959. I love the Panagale styling and the 959 appears to be in my price range.

Who has ridden both? Have any insight on how they compare for everyday street use? Comfort? What about twisty mountain rides?
Yellowhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old January 31st, 2016, 05:11 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

I haven't ridden the 959 but have ridden the 899 and 999 and can say that the current 899/959 is a more comfortable bike.....for me. I found the 848 to be a lot more comfortable than the 999 series of bikes. All 3 of them will heat things up in traffic but on longer hauls, the 899 is more comfortable.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:02 AM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

The January issue of Motorcycle Sport and Leisure has a test ride of the 959 and whoever did it loved the bike saying how much better it is than the 899.

Pjk
Peter Krynicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 07:46 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[749 S]

I have a 749s and have tried the 899/959. And i have to say that the new bikes are amazing! When you want it to do something? It will do it with ease.
The comfort is awkward at first (because of the riding position the bike is designed too) but then it starts to make sense the more you ride it. I really enjoyed both of the bikes. So much to where I ended up picking up a 2014 1199s instead. It was going for the same price as the 959 but had extra goods to it, so I couldn't pass it up. Lol

majette likes this.
Tracy749s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 12:12 PM   #5

No ducatis in the registry

As mentioned, the sitting position is different, but then again every bike is.

Everyday use is possible, but stop-n-go city driving isn't pleasurable.

Test drive the 959 and make your own decision. Just my $0.02
mtb likes this.
Aprilia RSV 1000R (under construction)

Yesterday:
Ducati 1098
Suzuki GSX-R1000
Suzuki GSX-R1100
Kawasaki Ninja ZX600R
Suzuki TS185
Proctologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 02:14 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Since you love the styling of the Panigales I would definitely trade up. You're getting more power and more tech (traction control, etc). And I personally believe comparing a 999 and 959 (or any sportsbike) in everyday driving is splitting hairs. At the end of the day it's still a sportsbike. If daily comfort is that important to you then look at a Monster/Hyper/Multi/Diavel etc.
randomtask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 03:56 AM   #7

When I had my Pierre Terblanche design I loved it dearly. Now owning an 899 I'm really happy with it.

I also have not ridden the 959 but with a sensible set of pipes I think it would be a great thing. Or you could just buy an 899 for a steal that's ready to go.
Able Duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 07:28 PM   #8

I just did a side by side today. I have a 2003 999 with power commander and full termignoni, bar risers, and bunches of carbon. This is my take:

The riding position is NOT that different. I was shocked how close they were, but remember I have bar risers. They 959 is lighter by spec, but I could not really feel it. In sport mode, the 959 was really pipey. The acceleration was extreme...but then the 999 power delivery is so smooth. Speaking of pipes...the stock 959 pipes were nicer sounding than I expected though I would still change it.

The quickshift is nice. Frankly I upshift without a clutch on my 999 at times. They both handle excellent. Since I was on a test ride I could not push the 959.

The 959 is perfect and polished. Almost too polished. The 999 somehow felt more extreme. Maybe it's my exhaust. Maybe it's just rougher and less refined.

One thing I want to say: I went to two Ducati dealers, and both times the salesmen were fawning over my 999 and talking about how beautiful it is. I agree. To me it looks more like a sportbike and certainly looks faster. Even if it's not. But mine's dripping with carbon fiber and I don't see people doing that with 959's.

I wish my 999 and ABS and DTC like my Hyperstrada. It's bad-ass. And at my age (almost 60) I know I'm not bullet-proof.

I might buy a 959 anyway. I see almost new ones selling for under $11K. I dunno. I want a tricked-out one but don't want to pay for the goodies.
Attached Images

Zingo999 likes this.

Last edited by Tube Guy; November 9th, 2017 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Pictures
Tube Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 03:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Guy View Post
I just did a side by side today. I have a 2003 999 with power commander and full termignoni, bar risers, and bunches of carbon. This is my take:

The riding position is NOT that different. I was shocked how close they were, but remember I have bar risers. They 959 is lighter by spec, but I could not really feel it. In sport mode, the 959 was really pipey. The acceleration was extreme...but then the 999 power delivery is so smooth. Speaking of pipes...the stock 959 pipes were nicer sounding than I expected though I would still change it.

The quickshift is nice. Frankly I upshift without a clutch on my 999 at times. They both handle excellent. Since I was on a test ride I could not push the 959.

The 959 is perfect and polished. Almost too polished. The 999 somehow felt more extreme. Maybe it's my exhaust. Maybe it's just rougher and less refined.

One thing I want to say: I went to two Ducati dealers, and both times the salesmen were fawning over my 999 and talking about how beautiful it is. I agree. To me it looks more like a sportbike and certainly looks faster. Even if it's not. But mine's dripping with carbon fiber and I don't see people doing that with 959's.

I wish my 999 and ABS and DTC like my Hyperstrada. It's bad-ass. And at my age (almost 60) I know I'm not bullet-proof.

I might buy a 959 anyway. I see almost new ones selling for under $11K. I dunno. I want a tricked-out one but don't want to pay for the goodies.
That thing is a beauty, would never trade something that beautiful in!
Old November 11th, 2017, 07:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guvna View Post
That thing is a beauty, would never trade something that beautiful in!
Thanks for the compliment. I like that you can see more frame and suspension and the beauty of the engineering. I might buy another Ducati sportbike but this is fast enough.

I bought a 939 Hyperstrada and that is absolutely the funnest bike I have ever ridden and I've owned a lot. It handles like a razorblade. I can't believe it really. And at the price they've closed them out at it's a no-brainer.
Tube Guy is offline   Reply With Quote