ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts (https://www.ducati.org/forums/)
-   959 Panigale (https://www.ducati.org/forums/959-panigale/)
-   -   Drone Video riding my Panigale (https://www.ducati.org/forums/959-panigale/90521-drone-video-riding-my-panigale.html)

Spanishcop April 10th, 2017 04:11 AM

Drone Video riding my Panigale

So I've been flying my drone for about a month mostly over lakes and waterfalls and some family videos. Yesterday I made my first attempt of recording my Panigale.

Though it's not perfect, it turned pretty nice. None the less to important factors... Had fun and as always enjoyed riding the Panigale.

https://youtu.be/IOHW2xeJbsg

Mike

IdZer0 April 10th, 2017 12:13 PM

Nice,

I always wonder how long until someone tries to use this on a track though.

WERA689 April 11th, 2017 12:56 PM

WERA doesn't allow it yet, but I think they've said they're always looking into it. I haven't heard anything about any of the track day organizations, though.

What I want to know is if (and if so, how) you controlled that while riding? I could tell you were at the end, when you were setting it down; but I also saw you had someone with you across the road! ;)

RNJ12 April 11th, 2017 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WERA689 (Post 1033161)
WERA doesn't allow it yet, but I think they've said they're always looking into it. I haven't heard anything about any of the track day organizations, though.

What I want to know is if (and if so, how) you controlled that while riding? I could tell you were at the end, when you were setting it down; but I also saw you had someone with you across the road! ;)

I'm not sure about his drone but I know the 3DR solo has a follow mode and once it's set then it will follow you around and you don't control it at all.

Tchase April 11th, 2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

I know the Lily drone promised to do this (follow you) but I noticed they filed for bankruptcy... So I don't think the tech is there yet. I know they've had one or two out at our track days but it wasn't only used for specific shit, they were not opening it up to everyone.

https://www.recode.net/2017/2/28/147...kruptcy-refund

WERA689 April 11th, 2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RNJ12 (Post 1033177)
I'm not sure about his drone but I know the 3DR solo has a follow mode and once it's set then it will follow you around and you don't control it at all.

Yeah, I think that's the system that WERA won't allow yet. They're concerned about crowding, and possibly crashing themselves on track or riders. :) And I wonder about overhead wires, overhanging trees or branches, and stuff like that at some tracks.

RNJ12 April 11th, 2017 01:15 PM

Yeah with 5-6 it could be bad for a lot of people. One person using it is actually very cool but the saying the more the merrier doesn't ring true in this case.

Tchase April 11th, 2017 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WERA689 (Post 1033193)
Yeah, I think that's the system that WERA won't allow yet. They're concerned about crowding, and possibly crashing themselves on track or riders. :) And I wonder about overhead wires, overhanging trees or branches, and stuff like that at some tracks.

They should not let everyone / anyone bring one. They should have one just like they have a photographer...

I'd pay to have it follow me for one session...

RNJ12 April 11th, 2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tchase (Post 1033257)
They should not let everyone / anyone bring one. They should have one just like they have a photographer...

But who gets to decide if it will follow you or another guy? The most money wins?

Tchase April 11th, 2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RNJ12 (Post 1033369)
But who gets to decide if it will follow you or another guy? The most money wins?

There's more than one session in a day price it accordingly

WERA689 April 11th, 2017 01:38 PM

Five lap blocks. Greatly decreases the odds of getting your best lap, though. :D

Spanishcop April 11th, 2017 01:51 PM

Quote:

https://youtu.be/QFyu2pi3cRc

The remote connects to iphone or Android. The phone is your camera screen with digital readings. This Mavic drone has settings one called Track Mode. You select the item "motorcycle" on screen and choose to follow. The drone Flys on its own from there and follows target.

The second video that is about the drone I posted talks about this mode. One of many modes available.

My buddy monitored while I rode reference power line hazards or if something may go wrong.

Mike

Spanishcop April 11th, 2017 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tchase (Post 1033257)

I'd let someone pay me to do it. I'm in Ohio though lol and track would have to allow it of course.

Mike

RNJ12 April 11th, 2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanishcop (Post 1033497)
I'd let someone pay me to do it. I'm in Ohio though lol and track would have to allow it of course.

Mike

Yeah for sure. I'm in Florida and would buy several more for this purpose. AND working for an airline has huge advantages (free flights to different tracks around the globe)

Tchase April 11th, 2017 05:07 PM

As much liability insurance they already carry on the track I just don't understand why they don't make this into a profit center.