Ducati 959 vs.. - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 959 Panigale

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By zacnelms
  • 2 Post By Able Duc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2017, 11:19 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Ducati 959 vs..

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum. I'm also torn between a 959 (1299 is a little too pricey for me), a KTM RC8R, or the ole' Yamaha R1. I do realize that the 959 is in a little different class than the other two. How do you all compare the three? Or even just the R1 with the 959. They both feel great to me.

Will be used for weekend rides and the occasional track day. I just wanted some person input that does not come from a video.
daniyal.syed likes this.
zacnelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old August 23rd, 2017, 02:43 PM   #2

Same use case for me, debating between 959 and 1299
daniyal.syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 01:23 AM   #3

New R1 is a rocket ship the old one is very old, RC8R is old now and more like a 1098. If you can afford a 959 they are a great thing, not quite as wild as the other brand 1Litre bikes but are a classy ride and handle like on rails.
SSMOKE and chwxwax like this.
Able Duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 04:53 AM   #4

Recently test drove a 959 and 1299S (dealer did not have a base 1299 at the time). The 1299S clearly felt better to me overall, felt more comfortable overall as well. To my observation and skill level their performance figures are close enough, the bigger issue is price and overall package. The 1299 would be the ideal choice when you have budget flexibility, otherwise 959 is a great next option.
daniyal.syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 11:50 AM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 R]

I would eliminate the KTM right off the bat. The 959 and the R1 are very different, in both power delivery and seat feel. The R1 is miles ahead of the 959 in comfort, the Panigale's are very aggressively seated bikes. The R1 will also break your neck after around 8k RPM when it comes alive, whereas the 959 has more torque down low from the V-twin and will feel smoother on the acceleration curve.

If you're looking to get into the Ducati brand/bikes then I say go for 959. If you're a numbers guy and care about raw horsepower and want something with a little more comfort I would say R1.

2016 Yamaha R-1
Gandalphamale is offline   Reply With Quote