Trips out when starting - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 999/749

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2018, 01:35 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Trips out when starting

Hi guys,
2006 ducati 999s
My bike started developing starter issues and noticed it wasn't holding the charge as much when left.
Fitted new battery but now when I turn ignition on the lights and dash and fuel pump all come on but when I hit the starter button then everything seems to trip out and I have to disconnect the battery again and reconnect before anything will switch on.

Any ideas as to what's causing this?

Cheers rob
robestelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old June 4th, 2018, 07:01 AM   #2

No ducatis in the registry

Before you go any further- do you own a multi-meter?

In order to do any meaningful analysis, you should have one, and be prepared to list voltage readings.
Jason. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2018, 08:43 AM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[916]

Quote:
Originally Posted by robestelle View Post
Hi guys,
2006 ducati 999sFitted new battery but now when I turn ignition on the lights and dash and fuel pump all come on but when I hit the starter button then everything seems to trip out and I have to disconnect the battery again and reconnect before anything will switch on.
I'm assuming this behavior started after installing the new battery.

When you hit the starter button the current draw is huge close to 200 amps so if the connection to the battery is not secure the connection cannot carry the electrical load.

If the connection to the battery is secure, I'd suspect the connection inside the battery is the problem i.e., bad battery.

Connect a different battery (jumper cables are OK) and see if the problem disappears.
Shazaam! is offline   Reply With Quote