Ducati.org forum banner

Decisions Decisions....next Duc.......749 or 999....need feedback

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  jusutus 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello folks. For the past 1-2 months I've really got the bug again to buy another Ducati Superbike.

Initially I thought about 748, 916, 996, & 998 models, BUT I keep coming back to the 749 and 999.

I'm wanting an older model than what I sold a while back. I previously owned a pristine 1198SP - and I miss it! However, I am in the market for an older Duc, IF, I can find one that is really clean and well cared for. Low or high miles - don't care - just want to ensure the required maintenance took place and major accident free, etc.

I'm going to read up here on these models, but in the meantime if anyone wants to share the good/bad regrading the 749/999 models I would greatly appreciate it, i.e., typical problematic issues or things to really look for when I go look at either bike.

Do these model years have the issue with the chrome flaking off the rocker arms?

PS. I know they can be relatively expensive to maintain or fix if not maintained. I am pretty well mechanically inclined to do my own maintenance if I have to, but time is usually not on my side to do so. Thank you!

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I have an 06 749s with some goodies on it. This model has the same style valve keepers as the R model which means that the valve adjustments are going to cost a little more money.

The 749s makes about 105hp to the wheel when its tuned properly. They have just the right amount of power for the combination of suspension and brakes. With more power you need the better gear to go with it which is why you see the 999s come with radial brembos and ohlins.

Cons with the model:

1-The valve service is more expensive
2-They have a stalling issue, but so do the 999. I had my cam timing adjusted to the newer specifications and it is good now, no longer stalls
3- exhaust cooks your ass if you are sitting in traffic
4-city ergos are terrible

Pros of the model:
1-relatively easy to find one in good shape for a great price
2-very fun, well balanced bike
3-adjustable steering angle, tank, seat, footpeg positions
4-Sounds great
5- Awesome gearbox, very very very smooth, Un-Ducati like...lol..
6- Awesome for twisty roads
7- perfect ergos for track and enthusiastic riding in canyons, etc
8- dry clutch
9 - lots of aftermarket support

bottom line:
If you want a fun bike, 749s, (Brembo axial brakes, Showa)
if you want more power, 05/06 999S (brembo Radial brakes, Ohlins)
If you want more and money is not an option - 999R
If you want Rare and money is not an option - 2004 749R

Reactions: Billy16
#7 ·
I race an 05 749s with CCS/ASRA expert class. It's a great bike when you get it sorted. Really fun and easy to ride.

Definite must do first is get your suspension freshened (or upgraded), and set it to your weight and your riding style.

Suggestions for an S model would be, other than general/scheduled maintenance.

-Ohlins 20mm internals at a minimum.
-30mm offset Triple
-Upgrade rear Showa with Ohlins w/Linkage
-Sprint air filters
-520 conversion -1/+1
-Tuner, and Dyno

There's a lot more to do, but for street, and occasional track/canyon riding this is a good start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited)
What did you end up getting?

The best value/deal is the plain 999. The 999 has the highest horsepower and the top torque comparing by the 999s, 999r, 749 S R. Actually the 999R has only 10 HP more but less torque comparing by the plain 999.

Per motorcyclespecs.co:

999 140 HP @ 9750 rpm
80.3 ft-lb @ 8000 rpm

999S 136 HP @ 9750 rpm or put a racing kit $$$ to add 9hp.
78.1 ft-lb @ 8000 rpm

999R 150 HP @9750 rpm
79.7 ft-lb @ 8000 rpm

Beside that, some internal engine parts are much much cheaper to replace in the base 999 than the 999S,R. And some internal parts in the R, S model wear out faster.

The R model is twice the price of the base 999. I dont think the 10 hp difference is worth it. 99.9% of every one here or else where will never use there engines to its most potential output so why pay more? The upgraded brakes, shocks and carbon on the R model is nice but still, not worth to pay twice the price for.

#9 ·
My 2 cents worth, Researched and test rode several 999 and 749 as its the last of the hand made superbikes. found the 999 was a bit lazy down low and a little overwhelming at peak revs. I know its about the same weight but it did feel heavier, 749 felt good but have to work it a bit around town and its a little difficult at low speeds. seemed over geared for the available torque at city speeds and revs. but great at the upper limits on the open road. settled for and found a 749s in its last iteration with a great service history and low ks. but it had so much bling on it, luckly the owner had all the original parts. so now fully stock inc exhaust and ecu. I have made some small engineering mods to it make it a more streetable bike
520 conversion 14-43
30.5 mm clutch slave
2.5w synthetic fork oil and forks up in the clamps by 15mm, set up on the soft side
rear ride height down as low as possible
steer head set to reduce wheelbase.
most was done due to my short stature as I like to have both feet flat on the ground, but the bike handles well and turns in very easy, is light at city speeds and reasonably comfortable on our shitty roads down here. and it wont scare the crap out of me unlike the 999s I tested.
hope this is of some use to you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.