999r GOOD DEAL! - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 999/749

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2007, 11:02 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

999r GOOD DEAL!

Hi
went down to the dealer where i had reserved my 1098s had a sit on the demo bike yes very nice but noticed a 06 999r reduced , sorry i fell in love with it and i went for that instead
are there any 999r owners on this forum ? a few tips on ownership would be welcome.
micromike

Last edited by micromike; January 21st, 2007 at 11:18 AM.
micromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old January 21st, 2007, 03:47 PM   #2

Congrats on the 999r, Mike. I have an 05 and I love it. I modified mine by adding a full 57mm Ti Termi with PCIII usb and custom dyno map, Gold marchesini forged mag wheels with 6" rear, Surflex slipper clutch, Axis full floaters (front & rear), 520 chain with aluminum rear and light weight front, Sargent seat, adjustable rear sets, some carbon fiber bits and cycle cat covers. I put a vinyl number plate on the front as well to protect the Paint. I've got just over 7K on the clock and the bike just keeps getting faster.

One thing I recommend is some clear guard over the lower front part of the fairings. I wish I had done that immediately. The road debris chips that area badly. I repaint and clear coat that area to protect the CF every Winter. I also use the K&N recharge kit on the DP air filters to keep them flowing well.

Yes, I think the 1098 is a great bike based on what I've read. I haven't seen it in person yet but if it looks as good as the pics and performance is what they say, Ducati has a great new superbike. But, I'm waiting for the R model. I think the R and SPS models are well worth the cost. Look at the specs and hi tech components of the engine in your R.
Neil999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:21 AM   #3

Hi Neil
thanks for the tips looking forward to picking the bike up next friday (unless it snows)where in the world are you based?

micromike
Old January 22nd, 2007, 05:21 PM   #4

I'm in Maine. We're having a very mild Winter so far this season but I can't wait to take my 999r out. Hopefully that will happen in March.
Neil999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:38 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[748]
[999 R]
[996 R]
[1098 S]

I have an 03 Fila, 57 mm Termi, slipper clutch, Yoyodyne slave, Marchesini mag wheels(6 in. rear), floating front rotors, ZG windscreen, DP foam seat, 520 conversion, degreed cam. I love it!!!
Fran
SB1098s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #6

well picked up the 999r first impressions are good ,had the terminogi fitted before i picked it up sounds superb, brakes are fantastic .
dumped the rear numberplate scaffolding and replaced with my own titianum bracket with a led unit built into the original numberplate light housing looks far better.
looks like i will have to change rear spring tho no way can i get any were near the correct sag i am a bit to heavey for the standard spring, at the moment it changes direction as quick as a oil tanker.
plastic protection panels fitted on tues ,picked up a stone chip on the way from picking it up.
micromike
Old March 18th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[916]
[999 R]
[1098]

Suspension changes needed

Section 8 SuperBikes had the set up that works great, they are no more bless their hearts. With stock equipment:
Four lines showing on the fork tubes with the fourth line right at the top edge of the top clamp and not counting the fork cap. 285 mm ride height rod adjustment from eye to eye center. You will need to get a heavier rear spring for the shock as the stock unit is set up for someone weighing like 130 lbs. You will also have to have the rebound revalved for the heavier spring.
I am away from home at the moment so I can't tell you the Ohlins number on the spring I have, I weigh in at 195 with gear. The stock fork springs are right on the edge of too soft but they work and I will be trying a line of preload this summer just to see if it helps. With the old ti-wrap on the fork tube trick I am getting real close to bottoming at times.
Once you get the suspension set up correctly the cement truck steering will be a thing of the past. The stock 999 series settings would under steer and put me on the outside every time. I would have to keep my 03 cranked over just a split second longer to stay on line than I would with my R1.
I took my Fila out to Section 8 when I first bought it and had them set it up for me before I even rode the bike once. Their set up made all the difference in the world.
I am running 27 mm off set triple clamps now with the 24.5 rake and so far I love it. The forks are down in the clamps now because of clearance issues with the 27 mm off sets vs the 36 mm stock off set. I still have the 285 mm ride height in the rear.
Good choice on the 999r BTW. It is one hell off a motorcycle any way you slice it. I have a 1098 yellow base coming in April and will be keeping my Fila too. There is no way I would sell my Fila even besides the fact I would never get what I have into it back. The Fila is set up perfectly for me.
I have on it now:
Surflex slipper (got to get one of these! go with the race model maybe from MotoWheels, just about eliminates clutch pull effort. I have the standard unit)
DP wind screen (gets rid of that damn parking light)
Cycle Cat rear sets (the cat's meow)
Termignoni 57 mm full exhaust system (simply bitchen, you will need heat shielding though to keep from melting your left fairing, I can help you with that one when the time comes)
27 mm Section 8 triple clamps (no longer available from Section 8 but can be had else where like Ducshop)
1/4 turn progressive throttle from MotoWheels (light on the bottom heavy on the top)
39 tooth rear sprocket ( you will need a new chain, Dang)
Light weight fly wheel from Nichols (makes sixth gear feel like fifth used to, Wowzer!)
180 rear tire of your choice to help turn in (I have been running Pilot Powers but will be changing to Dunlop Qualifiers this summer just to try them out.)

I have detailed files with the above modifications like the Surflex slipper clutch installation.
With some changes in the suspension and rear tire you will be really happy with your 999r. With all of the above you will be insanely happy!!

Last edited by Sagerider; March 18th, 2007 at 12:55 PM.
Sagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #8
SiD

ducatis in the registry:
[999 R]

Hi Neil, As a fellow 999R (2005) owner I suffer the same stone chip syndrome. Which clear guard do you use? Do you touch up the chips as well? Likewise with Sagerider I recommend aluminium heat shield on the inner left side. I have a black cooked patch from the 57mm full system which initated the foil addition. I would also like to add that a friend of mine owns a 1098s and there really isnt much difference on the road between the supposedly massive difference in the new machine to the 999r. I know which I prefer and I am going to keep it.
SiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[999 R]
[916]
[Monster 900]
[996 R]

Congrats on the 999R.

My 2005 is still my favorite bike. It may change after we do some mods on the 1098. I thought I would want to sell the 999R--but I think I'll sell something else instead.

moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[999]
[Monster 750]

How much more horsepower if I put on a Termi exhaust on my 999?
vuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #11

Attn: Neil999r

Where in Maine are you? Ever get down to MA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil999r
I'm in Maine. We're having a very mild Winter so far this season but I can't wait to take my 999r out. Hopefully that will happen in March.
NewDuc is offline   Reply With Quote