How to deal with a flooded engine on my Ducati? - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Superbike Model Specific > 999/749

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[749 R]

How to deal with a flooded engine on my Ducati?

I believe my 749R is engine is flooded. I had a PC III installed and recently removed it because the mapping for my 57mm full Termi exhaust was all wrong. Another forum member suggested just sticking with the ECU that came with the exhaust so I thought I'd give that a try. I removed the PC III but now I think the bike is flooded. It cranks over but won't fire. Strong smell of gas out the exhaust when cranking it. What's the best method for dealing with a flooded engine? Are the plugs fouled now also? Any help would be appreciated.
sgcullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old July 15th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Send a message via AIM to DucatiGuy
The first thing you need to do is pull the plugs and check em out. If they're overly wet, then yea you may have a fuel problem, but you should also see if you have a good spark before going any further. A wet plug may also mean a no fire condition. If the plug is overly wet though, be sure to use new plugs to check for the spark. If you notice you have a spark, keep the plugs off, and let the cylinders air out a bit. You can also disconnect the fuel injectors and then crank the engine over 2-3 times to help get out whatever is left inside the cylinders. Once you're certain the cylinders are "dry" put in your new plugs and give it another go. Hope this helps....
DucatiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[749 R]

Took off the PowerCommander, let the cylinders air out, and replaced the plugs...it's running perfectly! BTW, a little tip if you ever need to replace your spark plugs...the spark plug tool that comes with the 749 (and other models too from what I can tell) needs to have it's outside diameter shaved down a bit in order to fit in the the tunnel. A few minutes with a grinder tool on the Dremel is all it takes to sort it out.
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #4

No ducatis in the registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgcullen
BTW, a little tip if you ever need to replace your spark plugs...the spark plug tool that comes with the 749 (and other models too from what I can tell) needs to have it's outside diameter shaved down a bit in order to fit in the the tunnel. A few minutes with a grinder tool on the Dremel is all it takes to sort it out.
Ooh, now that's funny. Not only were we lucky to recieve the one tool, the one we got doesn't fit either! I love it..
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[999 S]
[1098 S Tri-Color]

I would take the bike to you Ducati dealer who you cab trust. My mechanic has always resolved any questions or issues I have ever had. They have the equipment and tools neede to resolve these issues.Good luck....
JohnnyDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[749 R]

Yeah, but, I fixed the problem.