South Africa anyone? - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Regional Areas - International > Africa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

South Africa anyone?

I asked Alvin to add Africa as another international region, as I couldnt find any decent forums related to riders in South Africa or Africa.

If you are from South Africa we would like to hear from you, even if you are now temporarily living in another country, like me living in Qatar, Middle East, or if you are enjoying the African splendour.

So Lets hear from you!
DukeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old January 14th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #2
Administrator

Go go go! I believe there are a few south africa members so hopefully this section will get rolling
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeQ
I asked Alvin to add Africa as another international region, as I couldnt find any decent forums related to riders in South Africa or Africa.

If you are from South Africa we would like to hear from you, even if you are now temporarily living in another country, like me living in Qatar, Middle East, or if you are enjoying the African splendour.

So Lets hear from you!
Sorry, Im on this side of the pond.. But I have been to your country a few times and thought what great riding it would be, especially Dual Sport. (Loved the Cape). With the infrastructure slowly degrading, hows the riding support? Dealers, parts, med service (just in case) Ect..

RC
RC51-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #4

RC

Indeed the Cape is a beautiful part of the country,nice twisty roads through the mountains, and most of them with a seaview.

There is a couple of new Ducati dealers that opened recently. One in Cape
Town, one in Port Elizabeth, and a couple in JHB.

they have been upgrading alot of the main highway areas, so riding will be smooth. I just came back from vacation in SA and was driving by car from JHB to P.E. About 1000km, and out of that there was only about 150km where roads were uneven or sections with potholes.

Medical services should not be a problem, as long as you go to a private clinic/hospital.Government owned hospitals are seriously deteriated and you might pick up a more serious disease.(HIV)

I bought my Duc over here and cant wait to take it home and ride the Cape
Old February 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #5

Hi there bud, I'm up in PTA and new to the forum aswell. Chat later
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #6

Bomber

Hey there bud, I'm a BOTTS racer up in PTA but new to the forum. I'm battling a bit to get things going on the site so maybe you can help. Was it at Kilarney that you dumped your bike?
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:51 AM   #7

No, I dropped it at Losail circuit in Qatar.

I am currently on contract in the middle east, but will be returning to SA sometime this year.

Bought my 1098 here and planning to take it back home.

Most of my family stays in PTA, JHB, and spent most of my younger years there. Where in PTA are you from?
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #8

hi ,not south africa , i am from swakopmund// namibia , my ducati is an st4s and has done about 35000 km.. the BIG problem i am facing is the next ducati agent is ducati edenvale and that is "only "+ - 2000km away .i love my ducati ,but i am forced to replace my ducati with another brand . reg.. andreas
andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #9

Hello Ladies, Im from JHb currently own 1 of only 3 whit 848's in the country (not for long) haha
With the Rand so low we taking huge knocks on prices!!!! Been shopping on line for goodies as the prices at home are rediculous!!!

Rather import things yourself only trick is you not sure what you getting so alot of research is needed. I have recently ordered some goodies from shit tech & clear alternatives, any one else ordered from them?
Will give feed back as soon as they arrive!!!!
Spaderplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:05 AM   #10

Very few ladies here, sorry bud. I have a 1098 here.Bought it here cos its way more affordable. Will be shipping it back home later this year. Didnt see any while on vacation in SA.

If you search the forum, you will find some feedback on the service of the companies you mentioned. Havent ordered from them myself.

Enjoy the 848! My 1098 is a blast!
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #11

I ordered some parts from shift tech should be arriving this week. Even though I ordered them before I became a member loosing out on my 10% discount which in R's is alot!!! oh well
Also ordered a rear brake light (all in one) from clear alternatives but they out of stcok untill next week.
The rand is at R7,70 to the dollar I'm crying here....
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #12

I am doing all my accessories here. Its much cheaper and tax free. Getting my double bubble screen ($110 or R840)tomorrow, and a new set of dragon corsas ($520 or R4000)at the end of the month.

Read on another post your bolts are coming off. Its due to the vibration. The same one was the first to go. I just went around to all the visible bolts and tightened them a little bit better. Havent lost any more. Check the bolts/locks on the inside front fender at the triangle, they also come loose.

How legal is the plate relocator in SA?
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:31 AM   #13

To be honest with you no one here has plates ,assuming you not going to ride it to work.
The cops hardly have sunday morning road blocks ,as long as you have your reg seal on the bike they cant inpound it. License plate fine is around R200.00 its worth the risk

I heard the other day that having a illegal license plate size costs R500.00 so do the math no use

Last edited by Spaderplus; February 26th, 2008 at 01:35 AM.
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #14

Here the law only says, that you have to have a number plate on...even if its flipped to a unphotgraphic angle or tucked in way back. No license disk required.

Fine for speeding is R200 for every 10 km above speed limit, so at 200km/h in 120km/h zone its R1600 fine.

Driving without a plate is R200 and a wheelie is R6000.
Jumping a traffic light is R100 000, and they have cameras on all of them.

A friend was doing 200km/h on his Duc with the cops casualy cruising at the same speed behind him this weekend. They recon as long as the camera dont catch you, because there is no radar etc.
Old February 14th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #15

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 796 ABS]

Hi Guys,

I noticed the Africa section on this forum is exceptionally quiet oO. So to kick some life into an old thread I thought I would stop by and say hi.

I recently purchased my first Ducati, a 2012 Monster 796 and am loving it. Cant believe I didnt get one sooner I live in Cape Town so have had an amazing time riding along Victoria Road, from Seapoint to Hout Bay and along Chapmans Peak. Weather has been amazing which has just made the whole experience great.

Im considering a few modifications, a tail tidy or tail chop and it seems the Comp Werkes and Termignoni Exhausts are a firm fav. A mate of mine in the UK has a set of Termis on and he told me before I got delivery of my bike, "Just order them (Termis) and fir them when it arrives" lol . I think he might have been right, but Im still enjoying the stock bike so we will see.

Anyways, Hi to you all and if there are any Ducati owners in Cpt drop a post here, I would love to join you for a ride some time.

Cheers
Gadget_ZA is offline   Reply With Quote