Slipper Clutch - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > General Discussion > Ducati Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fuzion
  • 1 Post By Slickracer34

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2018, 10:49 AM   #1
Court Jester

No ducatis in the registry

Slipper Clutch

I'm in the market for a slipper clutch. I already have a Ducati Performance on my street bike. No real complaints it works fine.

Looking at the main players.

EVR, STM, Yoyodyne are all very expensive compared to the Ducabike.

Buying the bling for a track bike doesn't make a lot of sense but I have to wonder why do they all run almost twice as much as the Duca?

Unless I hear horrible things about Duca I think I should go with it.

Anyone have any opinions?
Remove Ads
Old November 15th, 2018, 11:40 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

so... i can only give my opinion for a non-main player, K-bike from Italy. I bought it as the cheapest slipper available, you get to use the stock bell, disks and cover, (if you want they have complete systems for more money). Its the typical 6-ball slip system.

It behaves brilliantly on the track. downshifting from any gear to any lower, slips very well. I have been using it for a year, done like 2-3000km's on it and 3 trackdays. The only drawback IMO is that it is not adjustable. You 'd have to buy different springs if you want to adjust slip percentage, something i do not need for now.

https://www.kbike.it/lang_EN/scheda....oid=121&id=349

ps. for which bike are you asking btw?
Tchase likes this.
fuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2018, 08:03 AM   #3
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzion View Post
so... i can only give my opinion for a non-main player, K-bike from Italy. I bought it as the cheapest slipper available, you get to use the stock bell, disks and cover, (if you want they have complete systems for more money). Its the typical 6-ball slip system.

It behaves brilliantly on the track. downshifting from any gear to any lower, slips very well. I have been using it for a year, done like 2-3000km's on it and 3 trackdays. The only drawback IMO is that it is not adjustable. You 'd have to buy different springs if you want to adjust slip percentage, something i do not need for now.

https://www.kbike.it/lang_EN/scheda....oid=121&id=349

ps. for which bike are you asking btw?
Sorry asking about the 848.

The Kbike link that you sent is probably very similar to the Ducabike. I would guess by time I pay shipping and tax they'd be around the same price.
Old November 17th, 2018, 07:50 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

why the need for a slipper? I have never tracked a bike with a slipper clutch. the only bike I recall riding with a slipper clutch is the early 2000's zx6rr and that was on the street.
cbr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2018, 07:54 PM   #5
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6 View Post
why the need for a slipper? I have never tracked a bike with a slipper clutch. the only bike I recall riding with a slipper clutch is the early 2000's zx6rr and that was on the street.
Itís a crutch I need... Iím already spoiled.

Itís a huge help to get in the gear you want when you want..
Old November 18th, 2018, 12:06 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

Quote:
slipper on the track is a brilliant thing for me. entrance on corners is smoother due to engine braking, especially with trail braking. do you not find it useful yourself?
fuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2018, 01:39 PM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzion View Post
slipper on the track is a brilliant thing for me. entrance on corners is smoother due to engine braking, especially with trail braking. do you not find it useful yourself?
I have never used a slipper clutch on track, the only bike I recall riding with one is the early 2000's ZX6rr,the 600cc special edition model. To be honest I run that bike up to 60mph+ and banged several downshifts to feel the rear tire not lock and skip, it locked and skipped. It may be from my time racing in the mid 90's, we didn't have slipper clutch's available to club guys like you see now a days. I think I just developed throttle control/down shifting skills that maybe newer riders do not learn. I have nothing against the slipper clutch just curious to the benefit real or perceived.

also I like all the stuff Tchase does, he has interesting posts and seems like a pretty cool dude that's a straight shooter.
cbr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2018, 02:58 PM   #8
Court Jester

Quote:
I have never used a slipper clutch on track, the only bike I recall riding with one is the early 2000's ZX6rr,the 600cc special edition model. To be honest I run that bike up to 60mph+ and banged several downshifts to feel the rear tire not lock and skip, it locked and skipped. It may be from my time racing in the mid 90's, we didn't have slipper clutch's available to club guys like you see now a days. I think I just developed throttle control/down shifting skills that maybe newer riders do not learn. I have nothing against the slipper clutch just curious to the benefit real or perceived.

also I like all the stuff Tchase does, he has interesting posts and seems like a pretty cool dude that's a straight shooter.
Itís almost a combination of a safety concern and engine protection.

When I first got the bike in 2012 I was caught of guard with the engine braking compared to my CBR. I got use to the tire locking up occasionally when I was too aggressive down shifting.

I went to slipper in 2015 and no more issues, 2018 when I put the track bike together it came with no slipper. Several times I got myself into some bad situations.

Compounding my problems is switching to GP shift and the addition of quick shift.. Iíll give GP one more shot with the Slipper next year. To me GP only feels right when Iím banging down the straight with quick shift. The rest of the time I seem to struggle down shifting (pulling up) to be in the right gear for the next turn, and god help me if I tap the rear while down shifting without a slipper, almost took me out twice...
Old November 19th, 2018, 07:31 PM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

My 1098 is track only and it doesn't have a slipper right now. I raced 600s years ago and never had a slipper and never had any issues. The 1098 will lock up often so I'm riding the clutch on corner entry to prevent that. I am looking at slippers and leaning towards the EVR. I'm thinking I don't want a clutch with a spider spring.
Tchase likes this.
Slickracer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 07:41 AM   #10
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickracer34 View Post
My 1098 is track only and it doesn't have a slipper right now. I raced 600s years ago and never had a slipper and never had any issues. The 1098 will lock up often so I'm riding the clutch on corner entry to prevent that. I am looking at slippers and leaning towards the EVR. I'm thinking I don't want a clutch with a spider spring.
The dry slippers seem to be less expensive. as for the spider spring I think that is a dry clutch thing not a wet?
Old November 20th, 2018, 06:12 PM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchase View Post
The dry slippers seem to be less expensive. as for the spider spring I think that is a dry clutch thing not a wet?
I really don't know anything about wet slippers. I've never had one or read up on them. I've never had a dry slipper either. I've read that spider springs in slippers will fail so I'm leaning towards any clutch that doesn't have a spider spring.
Slickracer34 is offline   Reply With Quote