ducati 848 hub axle / 1098 weight - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > General Discussion > Ducati Discussion

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By fuzion
  • 3 Post By pat1098
  • 1 Post By jwm2k3
  • 1 Post By Tchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2019, 05:49 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

ducati 848 hub axle / 1098 weight

Anyone weighed the ducati 848 eccentric hub axle and 1098 equivalent. I'm on a weight reduction mission (but also cost effective).

I need wheels and was just going to do the 1098 hub conversion on my 848 because of the bigger choice of used wheels but thought if there was a weight penalty I'd concentrate on small hub wheels.

Any input would be appreciated and let me know if you have any wheels for sale.
Able Duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old April 9th, 2019, 10:19 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

man i have weighted a lot of stuff in and out of my 1098s but never the hub axle... perhaps pat1098 can help you pm him, the weight reduction hero of the forum.
Able Duc likes this.
fuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2019, 06:13 AM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

A lot in this. And thanks Fuzion for the acknowledgement. Sorry I rarely visit here now.

So much is different between the rear axle assemblies of the two models - where to start? But the discs are different, the sprockets are different, the bearings are different, the wheel widths are different - spacers, bearings, so much.

You may know all this, but you would basically end up having to replace so much you would need a whole spare 1098 rear end to do the swap. Basically the 848 is closer to the 748 - 998 series axle, with a much smaller diameter, whereas the 1098s is a new size and assembly altogether.

The earliest 1098s (pre-August 2007) had a larger bore diameter, and were therefore slightly lighter than the stronger ones that followed someone having a problem. Someone in Holland doing long wheelies or similar was the story at the time.

The wider rim and larger tyre that suits the larger axle would not only exact a weight penalty on your 848, in the crucial 'unsprung weight' area, but the larger tyre would compromise the 'neat' feeling of the 180 tyre on the 848 through a series of corners.

I did a lot in that area of mine when I fitted the RAM magnesium swing arm, with the eccentric hub also in magnesium. And replaced the bearings which were supposedly unavalialble through Ducati, who only show the whole rear hub assembly as one expensive part.

But your main areas to save weight are probably to stay with the stock axle and wheel size (of course a lighter/higher quality wheel is a good area to make gains, if expensive) and just do the other stuff that is easier, and lighter.

Extra holes, and slightly larger holes in your disc rotor, Ti disc bolts (from TPO Parts), Ti caliper bolts (Pro-Bolt) an alloy sprocket with Ti studs (AEM or similar) and nuts, and you can use aluminium axle nuts, but use care (and grease) when tightening.

That's my best attempt to steer your thinking in that area. Of course the RAM swing arm is a wonderful thing, although not significantly lighter than the stocker. That's more about being stiffer and stronger (being cast in one piece) and 15mms longer, which helps put weight on the front end.

You asked...

Able Duc, Tchase and fuzion like this.

Last edited by pat1098; April 18th, 2019 at 06:16 AM.
pat1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2019, 09:34 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]
[1198 S]

Just adopt a plant based diet and lose 10 lbs.
Tchase likes this.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 01:41 PM   #5
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
I'm still eating like a pig, lost 25lbs, cardo at the gym..
Neils400 likes this.
Old April 25th, 2019, 11:44 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]
[1198 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchase View Post
I'm still eating like a pig, lost 25lbs, cardo at the gym..

My wife and I did a 30 day juice fast. I lost over 20....
Old April 26th, 2019, 12:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat1098 View Post
A lot in this.
That's my best attempt to steer your thinking in that area.

You asked...

Actually that was great advice Pat thankyou.
Old April 26th, 2019, 12:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
I do smile when people say you should reduce your own weight and don't worry about putting your bike on a weight loss program. I think it's an attempt at humour but never sure.
Old April 30th, 2019, 09:29 AM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]
[1198 S]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Able Duc View Post
I do smile when people say you should reduce your own weight and don't worry about putting your bike on a weight loss program. I think it's an attempt at humour but never sure.
Always humor!