Ducati 1199 Panigale - Heat Issues - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > General Discussion > Ducati Discussion

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Shazaam!
  • 1 Post By DrgnRcr
  • 2 Post By Duc102
  • 1 Post By Burb.T
  • 2 Post By knucklexyz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2019, 11:07 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Ducati 1199 Panigale - Heat Issues

Just spent my first Weekend with my new Ducati, an 1199 Panigale, and the heat makes the bike unusable; lots of radiated heat on inner thighs, and to a lesser degree through the seat on rides lasting more than ten minutes.

I prefer to ride in jeans, sneakers, and an armored vest I throw on top of whatever shirt I'm wearing. This doesn't seem possible with a Panigale. Are there any alternatives to a leather gimp suit with this bike?
barely.broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old June 3rd, 2019, 01:05 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[916]

Quote:
Originally Posted by barely.broke View Post
I prefer to ride in jeans, sneakers, and an armored vest I throw on top of whatever shirt I'm wearing.
This is Ducati's way of telling you "Don't do this!" Wear proper protective clothing.
Tchase, Svensken and trussdude like this.
Shazaam! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2019, 04:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Just spent my first Weekend with my new Ducati, an 1199 Panigale, and the heat makes the bike unusable; lots of radiated heat on inner thighs, and to a lesser degree through the seat on rides lasting more than ten minutes.

I prefer to ride in jeans, sneakers, and an armored vest I throw on top of whatever shirt I'm wearing. This doesn't seem possible with a Panigale. Are there any alternatives to a leather gimp suit with this bike?
If you have an earlier model Pani, you may not have the updated heat protection. If you're on a stock exhaust then consider something without the cat.
'13 Hayabusa
'10 1198 R
'07 RF Z06
DrgnRcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2019, 04:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazaam! View Post
This is Ducati's way of telling you "Don't do this!" Wear proper protective clothing.
I mean, I ride to work, to run errands, or when the weather is good. I don't want a bike that requires me to zip up for a Moto GP death race just to cruise down the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrgnRcr View Post
If you have an earlier model Pani, you may not have the updated heat protection. If you're on a stock exhaust then consider something without the cat.
It's a 2012 Panigale 1199 ABS, has a bunch of mods from the previous owner, but it came through an auction so I don't know much about it past what I can observe.

Appears to be a stock exhaust, which loops right under the seat - I don't see any aftermarket options which are routed any different. I don't see any cats on the bike.

There is a stick-on fiberglass heat shield kit from Ducatispacers.com that looks somewhat promising. Also see some guys are wiring their fans to run non-stop, refreshing the coolant with water wetter, and installing thicker seats with reflective tape underneath.

Any other rider "cooling" mods?
barely.broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2019, 04:42 PM   #5

Quote:
I mean, I ride to work, to run errands, or when the weather is good. I don't want a bike that requires me to zip up for a Moto GP death race just to cruise down the street.

It's a 2012 Panigale 1199 ABS, has a bunch of mods from the previous owner, but it came through an auction so I don't know much about it past what I can observe.

Appears to be a stock exhaust, which loops right under the seat - I don't see any aftermarket options which are routed any different. I don't see any cats on the bike.

There is a stick-on fiberglass heat shield kit from Ducatispacers.com that looks somewhat promising. Also see some guys are wiring their fans to run non-stop, refreshing the coolant with water wetter, and installing thicker seats with reflective tape underneath.

Any other rider "cooling" mods?

Take the bike to your Duc Dealer and have them run the VIN. I'm willing to bet it doesn't have the updated heating protection. That's a first year Pani and there have been a lot of revisions since.
barely.broke likes this.
'13 Hayabusa
'10 1198 R
'07 RF Z06
DrgnRcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2019, 06:27 PM   #6

Having a 2012 1199 myself, I can tell you that this machine runs hot. But not hotter then any other Ducati, that said I did notice a huge temp difference when I replaced my faulty water pump! If your pump is spitting out coolant from the left side in between the cylinders you need to replace your pump!
Neils400 and barely.broke like this.
Duc102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2019, 07:11 PM   #7

I have tried it all, bottom line is, leather pants otherwise you will cook your left inner thigh at low speed. Even with leather pants, riding in traffic will cook you.
I have extensively discussed the issue with Ducati and their position is that these bikes are made for high speed therefor high airflow. I thought my 1199s was hot until I got my Superleggera and noticed it runs even hotter. And please wear proper riding gear even if you are going around the block.
on2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2019, 07:05 AM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 R Bayliss LE]

Quote:

I have a 1098R and the termignoni race pipes radiated so much heat up under the seat when in town that it was unbearable. I got some 1mm thick aluminium sheet, cut it to sit on the frame under the seat and butt up against the carbon seat unit either side. I rounded all the edges, stuck heat reflective material from Jegs racing on the underside and drilled some small holes in the sheet so I could zip tie it firmly to the frame. This now radiates heat away from under the seat, is out of sight and also makes a handy stowage area for tools. The heat still gets your thighs in town but you get used to it. If sat for to long, switch off the engine. Hope this helps.
barely.broke likes this.
Burb.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2019, 11:47 AM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Apples and Oranges... 1098 and 1199 are not even close to the same for heat generated. I have a 1098 (with full Termi) and the seat gets a little warm in summer. The 1199 is a very poor bike for anything but the racetrack due to the heat generated. Even with $4000 of Akro exhaust and proper tuning, the heat is amazing.

OP, wear full gear. Deal with the heat. OR - sell the bike.
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Svensken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2019, 12:11 PM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

https://www.ducati.org/forums/1199-p...at-delete.html
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Old June 7th, 2019, 03:19 AM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Pani's run hotter than the monsters and the supersports.

Evidenced by many track day on board videos - Monsters/supersports at my local track on the same day ran at 80-85c but the pani's were 95c

:/
Rizoma Spy R mirrors
Project SC Conic exhaust
Rizoma Pro pegs
Evotech frame sliders
was: Rizoma MA015B Drag bars & Risers
now: Renthal Superbike bars
Racing stoplocks
R&G fork sliders
Previous bikes:
'03 Suzuki GSXR600K2
'96 Honda RVF400
'00 Suzuki GSXR600Y
'96 Ducati Monster M900S
'88 Honda CBR400 Aero
Neils400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2019, 08:09 AM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils400 View Post
Pani's run hotter than the monsters and the supersports.

Evidenced by many track day on board videos - Monsters/supersports at my local track on the same day ran at 80-85c but the pani's were 95c

:/
In this case we aren't talking about engine coolant temperature, but instead about the heat given off from the engine (and exhaust) to the rider. The engine and exhaust layout really cooks the rider and is an unfortunate characteristic of the bike. Even with Decat exhaust, heatshields, etc., it is still super hot for city or polite hwy riding.
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Old June 7th, 2019, 10:09 AM   #13
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazaam! View Post
You can put in all the heat shields in the world it's not going to help, leathers is the best solution.
Old June 12th, 2019, 04:17 PM   #14

The heat issue on the 1199 is similar to the 1098/1198 but not entirely the same. On the earlier bike, the underseat mufflers would certainly get hot and uncomfortable in warm weather while sitting still and at low speeds. But airflow would cool off the mufflers considerably once underway and speed increased. In my experience, this cooling effect doesn't really happen on the 1199. I think this is due to one of two things, or perhaps a combination of the two. It may be that the airflow across the exhaust loop under the subframe/seat is less than the airflow on the earlier bike or, because the subframe that supports the seat is bolted directly to the rear cylinder, the subframe/seat heats up by heat conduction directly from the engine to the subframe. I think the latter is a real effect, and the subframe/seat doesn't cool off much when you get underway because the rear cylinder doesn't, being kept at operating temperature by the cooling system.
DrgnRcr and DesmoDhabi like this.

Last edited by knucklexyz; June 12th, 2019 at 04:43 PM.
knucklexyz is offline   Reply With Quote