Input please... - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > General Discussion > Ducati Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RexDangerVest
  • 2 Post By Dutch848
  • 1 Post By Svensken

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2020, 08:27 PM   #1
Court Jester

No ducatis in the registry

Input please...

I have a lead on a local engine for sale.

2008 848 22k miles road rash on the water pump.

They say it was running good but had a bad starter, they have the starter on another posting listed for parts not working.

They say they have title/vin back to original owner.

I’m certainly not keen on the 08 engines. I figured I go look at it turn the engine over, look at the belts and would really like to drop the oil and look at the sump screen.

My plan would be to ship it to the duc shop and have it printed. That would cost 3-4K depending on the condition of the engine.

This would be a spare...more like rotation for the street bike and track bike. I would like to some day make a go at amateur racing.

Here is the kicker $600 bucks?

Last edited by Tchase; May 21st, 2020 at 08:29 PM.
Tchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old May 21st, 2020, 08:42 PM   #2

Tchase...
I cannot help, but thank you.
Every time I hear a story like this I am glad to live only an hour away from them, When I bought my Monster I took it to them for a once over since I had no documents.

I doubt I will ever need an engine blueprinted...
But I still use them for regular stuff.

Rex
Tchase likes this.
RexDangerVest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2020, 05:27 AM   #3

Offer $500,- and buy it. These old 848 engines were pretty solid. You are going to blue print it anyways.
What you need to be sure of is, that it had no major conrod shell failure. Resulting in damage to the crankshaft and pistons.

Goodluck.
Tchase and Svensken like this.
Dutch848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2020, 05:49 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Replace the starter and idler with the updated part. Also replace the sprag spring, if not the whole thing. Then starter problems are a non-issue.
Tchase likes this.
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Svensken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2020, 07:04 AM   #5
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDangerVest View Post
Tchase...
I cannot help, but thank you.
Every time I hear a story like this I am glad to live only an hour away from them, When I bought my Monster I took it to them for a once over since I had no documents.

I doubt I will ever need an engine blueprinted...
But I still use them for regular stuff.

Rex
Not sure why you are thanking me but you are welcome

Yes I'm very jealous of your location, it's crazy there are about 5 business in GA that I deal with because they are so good at what they do... and me being in the PNW it's about as far as I can get. Right now I'm trying to order a special wire harness for my Tundra and they only shop that makes them is in GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch848 View Post
Offer $500,- and buy it. These old 848 engines were pretty solid. You are going to blue print it anyways.
What you need to be sure of is, that it had no major conrod shell failure. Resulting in damage to the crankshaft and pistons.

Goodluck.
Thanks Dutch, yep my thoughts exactly I'm going to print it so as long as nothing major. Would be had turning the engine tell me if there is a conrod (this is why I was hoping and thinking that dropping the oil would let me know)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensken View Post
Replace the starter and idler with the updated part. Also replace the sprag spring, if not the whole thing. Then starter problems are a non-issue.
That was my plan, I betting the problem is probably just the connection, I know as soon as I look at it.

I'm set up to go look at it Saturday morning.
Old May 24th, 2020, 07:27 AM   #6
Court Jester

Pulled the trigger, Iíll clean it up crack things open. And store it until the fall and hopefully ship it to the Ducshop,
Attached Images