race build - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Ducati Monster Forums > Ducati Monster 796

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By flyboybiker
  • 2 Post By flyboybiker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2017, 06:54 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

race build

Hey all, thought Id say Hi, been gone from the Ducati family for awhile but just bought a 13 796 that I plan on making into a race bike.
I do not have any pics yet as i do not have the bike in hand, hopefully will pick it up in the next week or two. Right now I'm in the planning, ordering parts stage.
First up was a super bike front end. Had a set of Ohlins R&T forks so i ordered up a Corse Dynamics triple clamps to fit them on, along with some woodcraft clipons. To help the rear out I called up Penske and ordered up a 8987 triple adjustable shock. For exhaust I went with the SC Project ti 2-1 gp style, I chose this for the lightweight, hopefully it does ok with power. To help the breathing MWR filter setup.
The bike already had a PC5 on it, I will try this out before making other changes there. Bike already had rear sets, just need to add solid pegs and also some frame sliders.
Going to try and run a 999 body on it that a friend has hanging in his garage.
I do need to change the belts and would like to find some lightweight rollers and also considering a lighter flywheel as well.
There it is, will post some pics when I can, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open.

Fly
flyboybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old April 27th, 2017, 06:43 PM   #2

So finally got the bike home, took it to the dyno today for a baseline. Bike fell flat at 5500rpm. 52hp, unfortunately the sniffer was not working on the dyno so I could not see what was going on with fuel. Something strange going on. Don't really know where to start. Bike is stock except for the pc5 and the exhaust valve motor removed. Suggestions anyone? Feels good down low, just dies in the top end.
Old June 25th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #3

So I finally figured out the power problem, the exhaust valve had been disconnected and normally would be held open by the spring, the spring failed and the valve was floating, mostly closed. I wired it open, baseline was 74hp. I'm happy with that to start.

So I now have begun the transformation. Front end swapped, went smoothly, just need to find a different clutch master as the stock does not fit with the clipons, using a friends wheel off a 1098, will need to get some rotors for the stock wheel to fit. Exhaust pulled, stock shock out. Hopefully will get that all in tomorrow, need exhaust gaskets. After that, mwr air filter stuff, rearsets and ecu reprogram.
Hoping I can make the headlight fit so I can ride it on the street a bit before taking it to the track.
Attached Images

Old June 26th, 2017, 03:12 AM   #4

Looking forward to this build. What race org and region? I am assuming you are racing in a Light weight or ultra lightweight class?
182 Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 08:42 PM   #5

I from Canada, racing up here with a regional club, but I also head down to Brainerd once in a while with the CRA. Yes a lightweight build, wanted to do something different than the sv's and the fz07 is too expensive to build. I got this bike cheap with minor cosmetic damage. Hoping it can be competitive, my Buell is getting a little tired, and I pulled my RSV4 off the track.

Got the exhaust mounted today, was a real pain in the @$?!!, the connector does not line up well, looks nice, really light. Penske shock went in well. Changing rear sets and adding case protection. Hoping to get the air filter and ecu done tomorrow.
Still need to source a clutch master and rotorsand figure out how to mount some body work.
Attached Images

Neils400 likes this.
Old July 11th, 2017, 08:01 PM   #6

Well, bike is together enough to ride, took it along to a trackday to try and get a few laps in. Everything seemed to work well, need a steering damper before riding it more, not sure what I can mount with the changed triples.
Still waiting on a few parts and need to figure out the bodywork.
Attached Images

182 Racing and JohnR like this.
Old January 20th, 2018, 09:06 AM   #7

whoawwww this is starting to look very awesome.
if you are selling the stock parts that you took out from it pls do let me know.
im interested in the tank cover and other stuff i could add to my 796

god bless you and stay safe and fast in the track.

regards
Prince Sean is offline   Reply With Quote