Comfort mods - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Ducati Monster Forums > Ducati Monster 796

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cryzniz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2017, 09:17 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Comfort mods

Hey all, first time Monster 796 owner. So I was able to pick up a 2013 ABS model for a smokin good deal. Also meaning I'd never ridden or even sat on one until it was mine. I currently have a Triumph Thruxton that I love dearly. One of them has to go, I like the extra power and braking ability of the 796, but it's not nearly as comfortable to ride as the Thruxton. I'm 6'1" and just feel cramped and way to over the front wheel on the 796. Any tips to alleviate that? Bar risers, seats, etc... thanks for any help!
Audicy likes this.
cryzniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old April 21st, 2017, 09:40 AM   #2

Comfort mods

Bar risers would certainly help you. I suggest either Woodcraft or Rizoma.

Also, the Ducati Performance Comfort or touring seat we be softer and taller for your frame.

The Monster is a wider bike than the Thruxton. Takes getting used to. I feel awkward on the Triumph, too skinny for me.
Audicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 10:32 AM   #3

Thanks for the tip, risers for sure. What do you think about getting a lower profile seat, my legs aren't the issue, just to tight for my torso/arms. Seems that would stretch me out a little more?.. I know if I just rode it awhile I'd get used to it (just like I did with the Triumph), but my girl wants her spot in the garage back and need to make a decision quick, haha.
Old April 21st, 2017, 06:38 PM   #4

I would suggest trying one thing at a time. I would start with the bar risers for an even more upright position. A small amount make a big difference.

In the end keep the bike you're most comfortable with.

Cheers,
Audicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2017, 07:49 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 796 ABS]

I have the very same bike... and just completed a 700mi round trip to Austin, TX for the MotoGP on mine. I'm 6'2", and I can see where you might feel a little adjustment might be necessary. Just remember, a higher seat will put you a little more forward on the bars... something it sounds like you wouldn't care for. Like the others, I would recommend either a handlebar riser, or just a new handlebar altogether. Rizoma makes 3 or 4 different bend bars that would work on the 796, I think I have settled on the MA008 (if memory serves.) It has a bit of rise and a different angle or sweep to the bar itself, but it uses the stock riser (which is the tallest OEM riser for the 796.)

The 796, to me, is a fun little bike... key word is 'little.' I can already see it is not going to do for sport-touring, or most rides over my 300mi/day trip to Austin proved, not for me, anyway... but it's fantastic around town and a hoot to ride on the back roads, so I just love it for what it is.

2013 M796 ABS in Artic White
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)
Charlie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 12:35 AM   #6

Thanks for the tips, put the risers on today and they make a world of difference. Don't need it for long tours, just hated cramping up on my 30 minute commute. Found a DP low profile seat I'm thinking of getting just to keep me out of the wind a little. Now on to performance mods, pretty much sold on the Akrapovic slip ons to start, unless there's a better way to go....
Old April 25th, 2017, 07:30 AM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 796 ABS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryzniz View Post
Thanks for the tips, put the risers on today and they make a world of difference. Don't need it for long tours, just hated cramping up on my 30 minute commute. Found a DP low profile seat I'm thinking of getting just to keep me out of the wind a little. Now on to performance mods, pretty much sold on the Akrapovic slip ons to start, unless there's a better way to go....
I've got a Gen-X screen on my bike... it's ugly as sin but it works very well blocking the wind, which is why I got it. There are some others that are even bigger, including a clear one (Puig, I think.) I wish my screen had some sort of QD attachment...

I'm going to guess most any quality slip-on will work... I'm looking at the Arrows myself, they are a few hundred less than the Akros... not that the Akros aren't sweet!

2013 M796 ABS in Artic White
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)
Charlie98 is offline   Reply With Quote