Need help, power problems on 796 abs - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Ducati Monster Forums > Ducati Monster 796

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 14th, 2017, 09:13 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Need help, power problems on 796 abs

Hey all, racebuild at a standstill as I still have not figured out my power problem. Had it back on the Dyno yesterday as I thought I found the problem, melted pc5 wires. Nope no change, power falls off at 6500 rpm, only made 50hp.
So I removed the pc5, no change. Unfortunately the sniffer wasn't working so I couldn't see if there was a fuelling problem.
Bike is a stock 13 796 abs with the exhaust servo removed.
Feels ok on the street, but I'm used to much bigger bikes so hard to judge. Runs nice and smooth, not missing, new plugs. Pulls nice down low.

Help!
flyboybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old June 15th, 2017, 06:39 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 796 ABS]

I've got a stock '13 796 ABS with the servo removed... it pulls happily to redline. You've got something going on. I suspect mechanical (fueling, air delivery.)

I had problems with my XR for a while... I had too much air filter oil on the foam outer filter. It would pull like a stud on the bottom but it would hit a wall... like *BAM*... at higher RPM. As soon as I pulled the outer foam off, it ran fine. Of course, it doesn't have the added complexity of an ECU to deal with, either.

2013 M796 ABS in Artic White
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)
Charlie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 08:12 AM   #3

I checked the air box and filter, all looks like new. I'm thinking it has to be fuel, bad injectors maybe? or a bad ecu? Going to check compression to rule that out. I don't think its a hard mechanical problem, runs too nice. Electrical or dirty/fouled fuel delivery?

I had a Ducati tech tell me to disconnect the rear wheel speed sensor for the abs, but I don't see how that could affect it.
Old June 15th, 2017, 01:33 PM   #4

Had the ecu scanned, nothing current except for the exhaust valve errors. Did a compression check, both cylinders normal.
Not sure what to try next.