2016 821 Fuel tank leak - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Ducati Monster Forums > Ducati Monster 821

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By PitKit
  • 1 Post By Waltzforzizi
  • 1 Post By Waltzforzizi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2019, 08:17 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

2016 821 Fuel tank leak

So my fuel tank started to leak out of one of the inserts in the tank where it hold the rubber spacer between the frame an the tank, right side. Any one have a similar issue? Any problems getting it warrantied? I called my dealer right off the bat was told "well if its cosmetic, theirs not much we can do" I was like cosmetic WTF. anyhow, its been at the dealer for a couple of days and i don't have an update from them yet.
Attached Images

Waltzforzizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old February 27th, 2019, 08:19 AM   #2

1st thing check if it is still under warranty, if so see how they r going to fix or what they will be replacing.

Gluck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PitKit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2019, 08:29 AM   #3

Its still under warranty. I just feel like the dealer is very dismissive. For example my rear brake 6 months after i bought the bike went flat. I have complained about every single time I get it serviced, but i get nothing but if "i can't see it" bullshit from the dealer I can't get it warrantied. Sad part is the bike has an extended warranty till 2022 and I've had spend money to try to fix the rear brakes, replacing the master cylinder which didn't fix it, then rear caliper which didn't fix it, and I was in the process of replacing the rear brake line when I found this leak. I'm really not liking Ducati at the moment.
Old February 27th, 2019, 08:32 AM   #4

Personally I would contact head office for your region, maybe they will light a fire under them.

xSnakeDoctor and JohnR like this.
PitKit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2019, 01:29 PM   #5

ducatis in the registry:
[899]
[Monster 821]

Yep, contact Ducati and they should lean into the dealer to get this fixed. Had a couple of issues on both my bikes and got a call directly from Ducati Italy saying they'd be speaking with the dealership. Its under warranty, its not cosmetic. Don't let them push you around.
xSnakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 07:22 AM   #6

I got an email yesterday from the dealer saying that claim is so high the adjuster needs to look at the bike. I also emailed Ducati last night, they are forwarding everything to the area rep. I'm hoping for the best. That tank is like $2300 by itself.
Buhgaboo likes this.
Old March 1st, 2019, 06:36 AM   #7

So this is clearly a manufacturing error / defect and it also represents a severe safety hazard. As others have said, I would contact Ducati directly...let them know the bike has never been dropped before they ask...also you could use as leverage that you have not, as of yet, reported the severe safety hazzard to the Highway Safety Board (If you live in the USA) but that you hope this matter is resolved quickly.

Any issues involving fuel systems etc are taken very very seriously! We all remember the Panigale V4S fires when they first came out due to the fuel system and the immediate recalls and replacements. I am sure they will take care of it, I am just offering another route if it becomes a problem.

Lets us know what happens good luck...

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2019, 11:22 AM   #8

Well the third party extended warranty came through, the tank is being replaced. I even got a call from Ducati, but as far a Ducati itself, they take no responsibility for the (^*() rear brakes. I brought that up with the Ducati rep and he didn't even want to acknowledge it was a problem. I think I'm done with Ducati. I have a Kawasaki Ninja that has been sitting for 3 years, brakes never bled, and they still work, no air in the lines. I shouldn't be surprised, this the second Italian POS motorcycle I've owned and that one had brake issues too.
xSnakeDoctor likes this.
Old March 15th, 2019, 03:47 PM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[899]
[Monster 821]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltzforzizi View Post
Well the third party extended warranty came through, the tank is being replaced. I even got a call from Ducati, but as far a Ducati itself, they take no responsibility for the (^*() rear brakes. I brought that up with the Ducati rep and he didn't even want to acknowledge it was a problem. I think I'm done with Ducati. I have a Kawasaki Ninja that has been sitting for 3 years, brakes never bled, and they still work, no air in the lines. I shouldn't be surprised, this the second Italian POS motorcycle I've owned and that one had brake issues too.
That's a real bummer. What's your mileage like on both Ducatis that had the brake issues? I've always had great success reaching out to Ducati/Ducati Italy about my bikes.

I don't blame you, though. I had an R6 for a few years and never had any of the weird quirks or issues with like I've had with Ducati. Given that you have the extended warranty to 2022 you really should be pushing a lot harder on both the dealership and Ducati. Its a shame you have to but maybe you just need to talk to a different rep.
xSnakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2019, 09:19 AM   #10

I had about 46,000 when this happened. I fixed the rear brake myself, i finally found that the brake line to the rear brake needed to be replaced, it's funny though, there were no signs of brake fluid leaking from it ever, no film, nothing. Now my bike is at the shop getting the radiator replaced under warranty, core failed at a weld. I'm also getting the throttle control replaced, intermittent loss of throttle. My bike pretty much has been at the dealer for the last 2 months waiting on parts. New problem now is that one of the passenger pegs fell off. I guess when you don't use the passenger pegs the bike vibrates so much that the pins holding the pegs to the rear sets wear through the aluminum. Warranty won't cover that ... go figure. So I'm upgrading them to Ducabike rear sets. Anything Italian I would get an extended warranty, as it will pay for itself, which it has several time over. This and avoid anything European in the future. I find it comical that ever time i have a warranty issue the claim adjuster has to come an inspect my bike personally at the dealer, its not enough to send pictures. I gonna guess they lost a mountain of cash fixing this POS.

Last edited by Waltzforzizi; October 2nd, 2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 03:15 PM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Quote:
I had about 46,000 when this happened. I fixed the rear brake myself, i finally found that the brake line to the rear brake needed to be replaced, it's funny though, there were no signs of brake fluid leaking from it ever, no film, nothing. Now my bike is at the shop getting the radiator replaced under warranty, core failed at a weld. I'm also getting the throttle control replaced, intermittent loss of throttle. My bike pretty much has been at the dealer for the last 2 months waiting on parts. New problem now is that one of the passenger pegs fell off. I guess when you don't use the passenger pegs the bike vibrates so much that the pins holding the pegs to the rear sets wear through the aluminum. Warranty won't cover that ... go figure. So I'm upgrading them to Ducabike rear sets. Anything Italian I would get an extended warranty, as it will pay for itself, which it has several time over. This and avoid anything European in the future. I find it comical that ever time i have a warranty issue the claim adjuster has to come an inspect my bike personally at the dealer, its not enough to send pictures. I gonna guess they lost a mountain of cash fixing this POS.
Bah! I lost my passenger peg too!...figured it as sabotage until I noticed the pin walking itself out of the replacement...you certainly had the lions share of issues on yours...looks like someone in the assembly line was still in training...in any case the 821 is perfect for the street...mine still makes me proud

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Buhgaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2019, 04:45 AM   #12

Quote:

You’re going to love the new rear sets. One the best upgrades I did besides putting in Andreani front cartridges. Hope your luck get better.

omgwtfxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 07:32 AM   #13

So i got my bike back last Saturday. I drove to work and notice that my heated grips indicator was flashing purple (low battery voltage). I went through the menu on the bike to check the battery and it appears to be charging at max of 11.5 volts. I just can't win . . .