more tyre talk - Page 5 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Ducati Monster Forums > Ducati Monster 821

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2019, 09:41 AM   #61

No ducatis in the registry

Buhgaboo, do you have a starting point tire pressure to recommend for the Pilot Road 5’s?

Yesterday I tried 38/38 and I’m still trying to find the sweet spot. I’m trying to get them closer to oem feel if possible.

I ride Los Angeles street traffic and freeway. Many speeds. Some stretches in 80s & 90s but not prolonged due to traffic. But it’s hot here and I’m shifting through gears constantly & lane splitting etc
gopam is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old September 6th, 2019, 03:58 PM   #62

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopam View Post
Buhgaboo, do you have a starting point tire pressure to recommend for the Pilot Road 5ís?

Yesterday I tried 38/38 and Iím still trying to find the sweet spot. Iím trying to get them closer to oem feel if possible.

I ride Los Angeles street traffic and freeway. Many speeds. Some stretches in 80s & 90s but not prolonged due to traffic. But itís hot here and Iím shifting through gears constantly & lane splitting etc
Let's try and tailor this to the monster as best as possible...the factory forks and shocks are calibrated for the pirellis...the tire was designed for the monster or the monster around the tire....either way they're perfect for each other...just with shite mileage...so that would be my baseline...a soft suspension likes a soft tire...and with that guideline you wouldn't want the tires at max psi...42 is likely for a far heavier sport tourer type...given the amount of siping in the tread I would try 34-35 up front and 33-34 in the rear...then my reasoning for adjusting would be to either dial in or out feel and or support...take a before pic of the tire... we're interested in the pattern just off center somewhere between 10 and 11 o'clock and 1and 2 o'clock...if the tread seems to be wearing on one side more than the other that's suspension related and needs an entirely different solution

( I mean the tread pattern front and back from the 10&2 position not right or left side)

...but if both are wearing than you need 1-2 more psi...this goes for both front and rear tires...to get the most confidence out of the tire I surmise you want to be just high enough in pressure that the tread just wears even...once you reach that point you can set off getting the suspension adjusted to get the wear perfect...my approach would also start with dialing in the front first...your going to get this really close before the rear...as the front becomes fixed the confidence goes up and you start chasing pressure on the rear...but the same observations need to be made...your looking for just enough pressure to keep the tire supported...the faster you get the more support it needs to provide...might start out seeing that 33psi is perfect and then by the end of the tires life it might turn out to be 38psi...if your not seeing the tread wear down abnormally at all I would start dropping pressure 2-4 psi until you do...I have 160mile loop i like to ride and I make changes after each one depending on what I'm seeing

One more thing...an under inflated rain tire will collapse the siping needed to evacuate the water ...I suspect the 42 psi guarantees the tire maintains it's shape...that said...given the weight of the monster and my performance target I still say to err on the low side and to work up the psi...if it ever feels squirmy in the rain try adding more air...with the plan to open the tire siping

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
omgwtfxu and nicedart like this.

Last edited by Buhgaboo; September 7th, 2019 at 09:11 AM.
Buhgaboo is offline   Reply With Quote