Denali Soundbomb - Mounting on the M821? - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Ducati Monster Forums > Ducati Monster 821

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By roadkillrob
  • 1 Post By roadkillrob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:43 AM   #1

ducatis in the registry:
[899]
[Monster 821]

Denali Soundbomb - Mounting on the M821?

Has anyone installed this on their bike? I'm about to pull the trigger but I'm curious as to how/where people are mounting it. The existing horn is basically a small speaker so I can't imagine this thing fitting in the same spot.

Thanks!
xSnakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old April 7th, 2019, 08:06 AM   #2

No ducatis in the registry

The mini will fit, if you are doing the dual tone air version, then it is pretty big and has the second air compressor part also you need to mount somewhere which isn't all going to fit there. Have you removed the evap system, if you get rid of the charcoal canister then you should have enough room as the compressor is roughly the size of the charcoal can.
xSnakeDoctor likes this.
Old April 7th, 2019, 07:31 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[899]
[Monster 821]

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
The mini will fit, if you are doing the dual tone air version, then it is pretty big and has the second air compressor part also you need to mount somewhere which isn't all going to fit there. Have you removed the evap system, if you get rid of the charcoal canister then you should have enough room as the compressor is roughly the size of the charcoal can.
Found some posts on another forum that talked about removing the evap canister. I'll probably do that to buy myself the space to work with.
Old April 18th, 2019, 08:58 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[899]
[Monster 821]

Apologies for the potato photos, I'll go back this weekend to get some better shots but I was able to mount the horn to an existing bracket. It feels sturdy but the horn seems to generate significant force/power that it wiggles a little bit.

I have to clean up the wiring as well but hopefully this helps people wondering where they can potentially mount the horn. With the removal of the existing horn and the evap canister, there's a lot of room to work with.

Original horn location with evap canister removed

Horn and evap canister removed

Denali soundbomb installed.

The bummer is that I already had another lead going to the battery for my USB charger. Adding another lead created too much of a gap for the positive pole to get seated and screw into the battery. I'm not an expert by any means but it was impossible to screw it in unless I removed the lead for the USB charger. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears as I'd love to have both my USB and the horn connected.

Lastly, my original horn had stopped working altogether and when I got the Denali all wired up, it wouldn't work either. I took apart the control assembly and couldn't see anything wrong with the wiring so I sprayed it with some contact cleaner and now its working great. So, if your horn doesn't work when you hit the button, try spraying it with some contact cleaner.

Last edited by xSnakeDoctor; April 18th, 2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old April 20th, 2019, 03:30 PM   #5

No ducatis in the registry

For the battery connection, you can get a slightly longer bolt, but all you really need to do is move the nut up a bit so the threads can catch it, a toothpick works well, just stick it under the nut from the side of the battery terminal and then that will hold it up so the bolt will catch it (only takes a little) and then pull out the toothpick once the bolt catches and tighten it up. A small screw driver or other things will work also, toothpick won't make sparks if you catch it on anything metal though. Soundbomb looks great were the evap was, certainly nicer looking than the evap can!
xSnakeDoctor likes this.
Old April 21st, 2019, 01:29 PM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[899]
[Monster 821]

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
For the battery connection, you can get a slightly longer bolt, but all you really need to do is move the nut up a bit so the threads can catch it, a toothpick works well, just stick it under the nut from the side of the battery terminal and then that will hold it up so the bolt will catch it (only takes a little) and then pull out the toothpick once the bolt catches and tighten it up. A small screw driver or other things will work also, toothpick won't make sparks if you catch it on anything metal though. Soundbomb looks great were the evap was, certainly nicer looking than the evap can!
Great idea on the toothpick to prop it up! Not the greatest photo for a profile shot but will get some better photos up just in case people need it for future reference. This forum has always been a great help so hopefully it helps someone in the future.