Timing belt change and broken spark plug cable☹️ - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Ducati Monster Forums > Ducati Monster 821

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Buhgaboo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2019, 03:40 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Timing belt change and broken spark plug cable☹️

Brought my Monster 821 to service station yesterday, for timing belt change. They didnít check engine timing and serviceman says there is no need to change any roller as well. He says with new belt it will run at least 12-15k km before major desmo service.
It is 2015 though only 2500km been ridden since.

Now here is the story. Everything was fine they have installed new belts and then they needed to unplug spark plug cable. Donít know why, I guess it has something to do with belt installation.
The plug from horizontal head went out very hard ( actually extremely hard) but at least it did.
The plug from vertical head was even worse. So they tried to pull it out using adjustable wrench. After many tries and scratches on cylinder head cover they manage to pull it out. However the plug cable has broken. It is rubber covered and plastic inside, so I guess plastic cracked.
They have sprayed some silicon spray into that holes in both heads, now both plug cables pulls out easier.

Now I need to get a new one, but delivery takes more than a month. I wonder if i can ride it like that? I can hear exhaust firing ( or shooting) donít know how exactly it is called. There is no visible fire from exhaust but the sound. It is kind of nice sound, but wouldnít it damage bike?

Name:  IMG_3386.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  195.0 KBName:  IMG_3372.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  98.3 KBName:  IMG_3387.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  175.5 KB

Last edited by SS55; May 1st, 2019 at 03:44 AM.
SS55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old May 1st, 2019, 04:41 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Uhg ...well the plugs don't need to be removed for the belt service...he might of just been trying to be nice and check them but got bit...the real shame is 2500km in 4 years ...was this a Ducati dealer? Parts usually come within a week and they best be paying for it...the boot is also an insulator and as it gets up to temp it is likely to start running poorly so I'd go for a short stint and if acts up just park it ..it will be a miserable experience...if this was not a Duc shop id search out a better alternative or just read the forum...loads of answers here and do it yourself
Buhgaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 05:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
Uhg ...well the plugs don't need to be removed for the belt service...he might of just been trying to be nice and check them but got bit...the real shame is 2500km in 4 years ...was this a Ducati dealer? Parts usually come within a week and they best be paying for it...the boot is also an insulator and as it gets up to temp it is likely to start running poorly so I'd go for a short stint and if acts up just park it ..it will be a miserable experience...if this was not a Duc shop id search out a better alternative or just read the forum...loads of answers here and do it yourself

Previous owner had it since 2016 and wasnít riding it. I got it with 1100 km.
It takes at least 4-5 week to get parts up to here.
Well canít really blame that guy, one day I would eventually need to change that plug anyway. Itís not official Ducati service.

Iíve ride it back home and the only issue is that it makes that strange noise from exhaust. Not often just sometimes, when I throttle up on downshift, and if riding on 1, 2 gear in traffic for long.
Old May 1st, 2019, 06:05 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

For speed sake I'd go the eBay used route and just swap out the boot

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...psno5hrukd.jpg
Tchase likes this.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 02:37 PM   #5

Timing belt change and broken spark plug cable☹️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
For speed sake I'd go the eBay used route and just swap out the boot

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...psno5hrukd.jpg

Deliveries from eBay takes ages until get to this country.. I found new cabel in Spain, my friend will send it to me in a few days. Cabel problem is solved, now I have another one

The threaded pin which holds water radiator is stripped out. Didnít understand why it doesnít unscrew, because when I moved horn bracket I could see that pin is moving.
Now figured out that I shouldíve unscrew it the opposite way. The way you normally tighten it.Name:  IMG_3509.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  181.5 KB

Thinking to weld a hex to it and try to unscrew it with a long wrench. Do you think itís safe for a bike electronics? Donít want to damage anything else.

Check the video:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...2CYMC6eo1AAhNG

Last edited by SS55; May 2nd, 2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 09:44 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS55 View Post
Deliveries from eBay takes ages until get to this country.. I found new cabel in Spain, my friend will send it to me in a few days. Cabel problem is solved, now I have another one

The threaded pin which holds water radiator is stripped out. Didnít understand why it doesnít unscrew, because when I moved horn bracket I could see that pin is moving.
Now figured out that I shouldíve unscrew it the opposite way. The way you normally tighten it.Attachment 166397

Thinking to weld a hex to it and try to unscrew it with a long wrench. Do you think itís safe for a bike electronics? Donít want to damage anything else.

Check the video:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...2CYMC6eo1AAhNG
Use a vise grips on the stud and unscrew the screw insitu.....if it is stripped I'd just JB weld it in place...your very unlikely going to need to remove it again...and the plug is shot...but you should be able to unscrew the wire from the boot