Coolant leakage - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Ducati Monster Forums > Ducati Monster 821

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Buhgaboo
  • 1 Post By Tchase
  • 2 Post By JohnR
  • 1 Post By Buhgaboo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2019, 12:36 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Coolant leakage

Noticed some coolant leaking. Actually it is not that bad, and it still levels between high and low in level window. Any guesses what may be the cause ?

I am not sure but it seems that leaking begins when I leave bike in garage overnight. It is 3 level underground garage with 17 C degrees average.
Or maybe coolant disappears straight away while driving because of high wind and engine temperature?

Do you guys think if tighten screws it will sort out the issue?

Name:  IMG_6094.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  341.9 KBName:  IMG_6096.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  298.1 KBName:  IMG_6100.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  364.4 KBName:  IMG_6095.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  354.4 KB
SS55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old June 12th, 2019, 02:33 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Have you removed the drain plug recently? Recently serviced?

Right now your pulling fluid from the reservoir but it will eventually start pulling from the motor and that's not good...there was a post not long ago where someone mentioned the water pump seal could have gone bad....given the amount in your picture that might be the case...does it appear to be coming from any of the hoses? Nearly all leaks will pool in that area and will leave a trail to their source over time...I wouldn't go wrenching down on the water pump bolts...but I would start with removing the drain plug sand the washer flat and put it back on...then look at hose connections...if the radiator has been off the vent line at the cap really needs to be tightened all the way it can, mine can leak from there and run down to the cover
SS55 likes this.
Buhgaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 05:37 AM   #3
Court Jester

You have a drain plug right there, maybe it backed out or needs a new crush washer.

The water pump does not have a gasket, you use a sealant to seal it.

I'd tighten things up and check, it's possible the seal went bad, but I would look all around the hoses first the water can travel..
SS55 likes this.
Old June 12th, 2019, 05:50 AM   #4

I just had this exact same problem...check your hoses but for me I had to replace the water pump gasket seal. That is likely your problem...as the bike cools the metal contracts which is why it leaks at night. The gasket is a liquid gasket so when you get it replaced remember to let it cure for 24 hours before adding coolant back into the system

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
[email protected] and SS55 like this.
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 10:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
Have you removed the drain plug recently? Recently serviced?

Right now your pulling fluid from the reservoir but it will eventually start pulling from the motor and that's not good...there was a post not long ago where someone mentioned the water pump seal could have gone bad....given the amount in your picture that might be the case...does it appear to be coming from any of the hoses? Nearly all leaks will pool in that area and will leave a trail to their source over time...I wouldn't go wrenching down on the water pump bolts...but I would start with removing the drain plug sand the washer flat and put it back on...then look at hose connections...if the radiator has been off the vent line at the cap really needs to be tightened all the way it can, mine can leak from there and run down to the cover

It seems like it comes from the hose.

I changed spark plugs recently and had hard time with putting in sparc wrench. Radiator didnít let me do it, so I unscrewed two bolts on the sides and let it dangle, sometimes pushing it up and down. Thought I doubt that it may be the cause.

Recently I have also washed it with Kerher, but the guy stays 2 meters away, so I dont think he could have touch sealing with it either.
SS55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 11:41 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS55 View Post
It seems like it comes from the hose.

I changed spark plugs recently and had hard time with putting in sparc wrench. Radiator didnít let me do it, so I unscrewed two bolts on the sides and let it dangle, sometimes pushing it up and down. Thought I doubt that it may be the cause.

Recently I have also washed it with Kerher, but the guy stays 2 meters away, so I dont think he could have touch sealing with it either.
I had a problem with my overflow hose...now the thing is as tight as the clamp will allow it...I think all the water pump shenanigans was dealer speak for we didn't screw up...but did
Tchase likes this.
Buhgaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 02:01 AM   #7

I had a leak in the same area. It wasn't nearly as bad as yours. I replaced the seal and it stopped.
nicedart180@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote