Need Explanation... - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Ducati Monster Forums > Ducati Monster 821

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2019, 03:20 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Need Explanation...

Brought my M821 home a couple weeks ago and I don't know why but this bugs the hell out of me. I thought it was just my bike but I've looked at multiple pictures of others on the web and they're all similar. Why did Ducati leave the left bar exposed slightly?
Attached Images

2019 M821
2011 Diavel
2001 SuperHawk 996
1997 FZR600
GrassyNoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old July 2nd, 2019, 03:26 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Just slide the grip down
Buhgaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 04:13 AM   #3

Well yes..I understand the solution which also creates a gap between controls and grip. I'm not sure I have enough length in clutch cable and wire loom to slide over as well. I was more or less asking why Ducati did this?
Old July 2nd, 2019, 07:20 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Ask Ducati? Ask the dealership where you bought it? But joining a forum just to ask this seems odd.
Like Buhgaboo said, just slide the grip down. In fact replace them with some better grips...
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Svensken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 08:25 AM   #5

Alright, alright....lets set something straight. I didn't "join a forum just to ask". I joined because I enjoy the subject and I learn from all of you in here. We all have something in common, we enjoy 2 wheels and an open road. I had a question so I asked it. I didn't expect to get chastised for it. Go ahead and ridicule if you wish for what you deem as a dumb question. I was curious so I asked.

2019 M821
2011 Diavel
2001 SuperHawk 996
1997 FZR600
Old July 2nd, 2019, 08:30 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassyNoll View Post
Alright, alright....lets set something straight. I didn't "join a forum just to ask". I joined because I enjoy the subject and I learn from all of you in here. We all have something in common, we enjoy 2 wheels and an open road. I had a question so I asked it. I didn't expect to get chastised for it. Go ahead and ridicule if you wish for what you deem as a dumb question. I was curious so I asked.
The actual answer boils down to manufacturing...some tolerances get buggered in the setups and with low production numbers not much time for corrections....I had a problem with the radiator mount on my 2015 that eventually got fixed in the upcoming models...with the grip I think it's something that was overlooked...looks good on paper but in practice the grip slides and fills the gap...it is what it is and with new bars you can modify the holes to suit
Old July 2nd, 2019, 08:37 AM   #7

ducatis in the registry:
[1098]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassyNoll View Post
My point is you asked a question that can ONLY be answered by the manufacturer or their agents. The members of the forum didn't design and build your motorcycle
Previous:
'96 YZF1000R
'89 EX500
Svensken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 09:25 AM   #8

Thanks Buhgaboo
Buhgaboo likes this.

2019 M821
2011 Diavel
2001 SuperHawk 996
1997 FZR600
Old July 2nd, 2019, 10:06 AM   #9

Maybe it was done when the dealer uncrated and prepped the bike? Looking at "official" 821 pictures, I don't think that alignment was the intent.
Tchase likes this.
Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 12:19 PM   #10

Sato Racing machined billet aluminum weighted bar ends... they look great, solve the bar end problem, and help with vibration. These have been on my bike for 4 years and still look great...

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Tchase and Buhgaboo like this.
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 03:29 PM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Sato Racing machined billet aluminum weighted bar ends... they look great, solve the bar end problem, and help with vibration. These have been on my bike for 4 years and still look great...

Off topic.. but I was blown away how steady the mirrors were after I put on a set of bar ends...nearly crashed just looking at the clouds for the first time...lol
JohnR and skaneberran like this.
Old July 2nd, 2019, 03:57 PM   #12

The bar ends made a huge difference...the vibrations were greatly reduced and it did make a very small difference when the bike is leaned over...off topic here also but I am looking at buying the new Multistrada 1260S and trying to decide if I will keep the 821 also...

Old July 2nd, 2019, 04:09 PM   #13

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Quote:
The bar ends made a huge difference...the vibrations were greatly reduced and it did make a very small difference when the bike is leaned over...off topic here also but I am looking at buying the new Multistrada 1260S and trying to decide if I will keep the 821 also...

The power difference between the two is night and day...I love my monster (wish it could lean more) but the motor in the 1260 is 50% bigger...even if you kept the 821 you'd forget about it....
Old July 2nd, 2019, 04:12 PM   #14

That it what many have told me....I will likely buy the Multi in a few months and use the 821 as a trade in...the only thing about the multi I don't like are the tires. I want something that is 100% street with more corner grip...

Old July 2nd, 2019, 04:14 PM   #15

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Quote:
That it what many have told me....I will likely buy the Multi in a few months and use the 821 as a trade in...the only thing about the multi I don't like are the tires. I want something that is 100% street with more corner grip...

Only way I could keep up was traffic and really late braking...the 1200 just pulls away...away....away.....

https://youtu.be/69LrQ-LnMwc
omgwtfxu likes this.