Quieter exhausts? - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Ducati Monster Forums > Ducati Monster 821

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2019, 03:09 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Quieter exhausts?

Hi all,
I'm after a new slip on to replace the stock one. I bought the bike and it had some ghetto installed Yoshimura slip on that I've removed already.
Can anyone recommend some exhausts that aren't obnoxiously loud?

I've crossed off the Termis as they're too expensive and not a fan of dual pipes.
I absolutely love the look of the Competition Werkes, but I'm afraid it's extremely loud from reports even with the baffle.
The Akrapovic from reports I've read, they're not too loud.
Similar looking SC Project have a similar looking one called the SC1R, but I'm not too sure how loud they are.

Are there any other recommendations? I think I've seen a few others such as Mivv and Austin Racing, but haven't found anywhere to buy them from in Australia.
Would anyone be able to maybe order the slip on options from quietest to loudest?

Thanks all!
oh_lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old November 8th, 2019, 04:06 AM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

My SC Project conic has a removable baffle - which I put in for quiet track days.

it's less than 98dB with the baffle in. It's not obnoxiously loud with the baffle out IMO either.

The Competition Werkes, and the SC project CRT can's are a lot louder than the SC Project conic.

You could look at the Akra, Arrow, or the SC Project - The SC1R comes with a removable baffle so I'd get that.
Rizoma Spy R mirrors
Project SC Conic exhaust
Rizoma pegs
Evotech frame sliders
was: Rizoma MA015B bars
now: Renthal Superbike bars
Racing stoplocks
R&G fork and engine case sliders
Previous bikes:
'03 Suzuki GSXR600K2
'96 Honda RVF400
'00 Suzuki GSXR600Y
'96 Ducati Monster M900S
'88 Honda CBR400 Aero
Neils400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 07:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils400 View Post
My SC Project conic has a removable baffle - which I put in for quiet track days.

it's less than 98dB with the baffle in. It's not obnoxiously loud with the baffle out IMO either.

The Competition Werkes, and the SC project CRT can's are a lot louder than the SC Project conic.

You could look at the Akra, Arrow, or the SC Project - The SC1R comes with a removable baffle so I'd get that.
Thanks for the reply Neils.
I might have to eye off the Akra or SCP SC1R. I can't seem to find the Arrow online available to be shipped to Australia.
Strangely enough the Akra will be cheaper than the SCP. Would never have thought that (even with the silly 'add-on' pipe that should be included).
Old November 8th, 2019, 07:26 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 1200]

I have a homologated SC-Project Carbon Conic and with the baffle removed it's 97db at idle and 100db at 2000 rpm measured using the SAE J2825 standard.
With the baffle in (Euro 3) , it's not much louder than stock Euro 4 exhaust that came with the bike.
The new SC-Project sound homologated unit is Euro 4 with baffle in. Very high quality build and looks great IMO. Homologated is the operative word and it's measured with the baffle in therefore you have a choice. . Those model stating "racing Only" are very loud and usually (not always) without baffle available.

https://shop.sc-project.com/en-CA/Bi...-R-Muffler.htm
Old November 8th, 2019, 08:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
I have a homologated SC-Project Carbon Conic and with the baffle removed it's 97db at idle and 100db at 2000 rpm measured using the SAE J2825 standard.
With the baffle in (Euro 3) , it's not much louder than stock Euro 4 exhaust that came with the bike.
The new SC-Project sound homologated unit is Euro 4 with baffle in. Very high quality build and looks great IMO. Homologated is the operative word and it's measured with the baffle in therefore you have a choice. . Those model stating "racing Only" are very loud and usually (not always) without baffle available.

https://shop.sc-project.com/en-CA/Bi...-R-Muffler.htm
Thanks DarR. Sounds like the SC1R should be fairly polite. I'm starting to eye them off, they're about $1400AUD locally.

Has anyone heard or experienced MIVV slip ons? I'm not familiar with them, but I'm stumbled across their Delta Race. Looks similar to the Akra and SC1R, but at a far friendly price. About $600 landed, so at least 50% cheaper than the Akra or SCP
Old November 9th, 2019, 08:35 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

I rode on an akrapovic for a week...it was considerably more tame than the stock...didn't pop or gurgle...no dramas... definitely neighbor friendly...keeping the exhaust flap connected will help with the noise when your just putting about too
Buhgaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2019, 12:37 AM   #7

Thanks for the info guys.
Ended up pulling the trigger on a MIVV Delta Race. Was far cheaper than an Akra ($600 v $1200).
Will update on how it sounds once it arrives. Thanks all.
Old Today, 07:32 AM   #8

If you end up not liking that, you can always get the Comp Werks with the baffle then wrap the baffle. Revzilla has a tutorial. https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...er-or-silencer
nicedart is offline   Reply With Quote