Ducati.org forum banner

M821 the riding position of Woodcraft Clip-ons

5K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  Buhgaboo 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 · (Edited)
Hi there

I’m considering to change original handle bar.
Anyone installed Woodcraft clip-ons?
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...-w-adapter-plate-ducati-monster-821-2015-2017

Could you tell me the difference of position between original and clip-ons? My height is 170cm(7ft). So, I’m worried that it will be too far for me.

Thanks
Ichiro
I overlaid a 2018 to my 2015 with my 1.5 woodcraft clip ons...the difference is pretty dramatic in posture....I also installed rearsets and a touring seat to help with my own geometry...I'm 6'1" and this can be a stretch at times...it makes any highway cruising a little less comfortable but the weight you can put on the front really helps in the corners....they are reversable so you could flip them the other way which would probably be a bit easier on the back...

#3 ·
Hi Buhgaboo
Thank you for your reply! I got it.
In my understand, the posture is to be far after install clip-ons. After all, I'm worried it is too far for me ,cuz your height is 6.1 ft.
Or is the posture low not also far?

And then, I can not open your photobucket picture...
I wanna to look your cool motorcycle..

Ichiro

#4 ·
Hi Buhgaboo

Thank you for your reply! I got it.

In my understand, the posture is to be far after install clip-ons. After all, I'm worried it is too far for me ,cuz your height is 6.1 ft.

Or is the posture low not also far?

And then, I can not open your photobucket picture...

I wanna to look your cool motorcycle..

Ichiro
Place your wrists on the grips...that's about how much further forward they would be...it's not obscene...but it's noticeably further forward..and weather or not you flip them over they are still just as far to reach only higher/lower

#5 ·
Thanks a lot!
I’m searching about it. I found the clip-ons is available to choose position.

https://www.bellissimoto.com/parts/clip-ons/woodcraft-ducati-monster-821-1200-clipon-riser-adapter-plate-with-bars-1

Rise Guide:

1 inch rise, up position - 2.25 inch drop over OEM

1 inch rise, down position - 3.25 inch drop over OEM

1.5 inch rise, up position -1.75 inch drop over OEM

1.5 inch rise, down position - 3.75 inch drop over OEM

Is this true and can it be change easily?

Ichiro

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot!

Iâ€[emoji769]m searching about it. I found the clip-ons is available to choose position.

https://www.bellissimoto.com/parts/...1-1200-clipon-riser-adapter-plate-with-bars-1

Rise Guide:

1 inch rise, up position - 2.25 inch drop over OEM

1 inch rise, down position - 3.25 inch drop over OEM

1.5 inch rise, up position -1.75 inch drop over OEM

1.5 inch rise, down position - 3.75 inch drop over OEM

Is this true and can it be change easily?

Ichiro
Take a close look at the images on that page...the difference between the 1" and 1.5" is in the bar clamp...if it's 1/2" shorter it will be 1/2" different in rise and fall...the numbers are saying the 1" has more rise than the 1.5"...it's not accurate(I misread the numbers...it's 1.75 under oem...not 1.75...that essentially is the what i just explained albeit took a second glance, my bad) ...that said...it's a bit of a pain to flip it...It can be done but you may find you need to loosen/remove headlight durring the swap to accommodate cabling clearance...I had planned to flip it for the highway and the flip it back for a trackday when I got there...I opted against the effort...it's not that uncomfortable in the dropped position and it's not that easy to flip in a hurry...

Both the 1 and 1.5 are equally as far forward in terms of reach...the 1.5 will probably be closer to stock hieght just further forward...the 1 in the up position will be a touch sportier... ultimately they are both not far enough of a drop to equal an actual clip on...I went with the 1.5...if your unsure how your going to mount it...up/down...get the 1...I think in both positions, it's a sporty posture...and I really doubt up/down is any more comfortable than the other.

#7 ·
Thanks for your detail post. I misunderstood it.
There are two versions of handles 1 inch and 1.5 inch. The difference of it is drastic or gentle. And your recommendation is 1 inch ,aren’t you?
In my current understanding, you can change down/up position and it can not change easily. Now I have not got the manual, so I may be misunderstanding also. I’m considering it is better for me the up position using 1 inch clip-ons.
Ichiro

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for your detail post. I misunderstood it.

There are two versions of handles 1 inch and 1.5 inch. The difference of it is drastic or gentle. And your recommendation is 1 inch ,arenâ€[emoji769]t you?

In my current understanding, you can change down/up position and it can not change easily. Now I have not got the manual, so I may be misunderstanding also. Iâ€[emoji769]m considering it is better for me the up position using 1 inch clip-ons.

Ichiro
I recommend the 1"....it's really the best of both worlds....you can change up or down but it's not as simple as flipping the plate over....the clutch cable is essentially jammed into submission and the brake lines are shoved into the headlight gap....yes they fit with little objection but you need to loosen bits here and there...so no it's not a "simple" procedure but it is absolutely feasible...if you think you can do it while your filling the tank with gas your mistaken... but you for sure could do it the night before...I love my setup...and as I get faster I contemplate actual clip ons ...food for thought...the 1200r geometry is nearly identical to the 959....minus the wheelbase

One last thing....if you can tell me the air gap and the weight of oil your using in the fork you need the 1.5...if you can't...the 1" is enough and is an easy upgrade later on if you feel you need it

#9 ·
Sure. To change down/up may takes 1 hour or more. So usually I will use one side position. What is the difference of style between up/down? I feel down end of handle is cool like super sport motorcycle one. Does the appearance look ‘up’ the end of handle or down but relatively down with ‘down’ settings?

#13 ·
Cool! What is the adapter plate in following website and how to use it?
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/woodcraft-clip-on-risers-w-adapter-plate-ducati-monster-821-2015-2017?utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=5645006&PublisherName=Skimlinks&cjevent=a9079886190c11ea83c002bc0a1c0e10
I still can not understand the style of up settings.

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.