Stalling issue - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Ducati Monster Forums > Ducati Monster 821

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gabbin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:54 AM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Stalling issue

Weird, but I've had my bike stall on me twice since I've had it. Both instances I was getting low on fuel (light came on but when I filled it back up in both instances it only took 3.3 and 3.6 gallons to fill up again), and when blipping the throttle while downshifting, the bike shuts off. While still rolling, I've just hit the starter button to restart her, but this is kind of strange. The last time, the check engine light popped on when I started it again. I popped into a gas station, to fill up, and when I started it up, no light. Any thoughts? It's a bit weird. Right now I've got about 560 miles on her, so getting ready to do the 600 mile break in service, soon.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 01:33 PM   #2

Mine used to stall at odd times, hasnt done it for over 2500klm now but I did adjust the take up point of the clutch. Some say dealer needs to do reflash with the latest available from ducati. Interesting my fuel warning light comes on very early also. When it comes on I only need 11 litres or 2.9 gal to fill the tank.
Watky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2015, 08:07 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Mine has not stalled but that gas light comes on quite early. I typically fill up the same amount as you.
Hold Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2015, 09:54 AM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 795]

Mine stalled a couple of times it could be the evap canister, I had it removed and I have not experience another stall since.
five55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2015, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by five55 View Post
Mine stalled a couple of times it could be the evap canister, I had it removed and I have not experience another stall since.
I'm new to all of this as this is my first motorcycle and I'm not worried as this is not really a safety issue (I guess it could become one in certain situations, but....). It just seems as if this is a known problem, there should be a TSB to fix it.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 01:48 PM   #6

Had some issues with oil cap leaking,used a diff o ring and fixed prob
wickedrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2015, 10:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrider View Post
Had some issues with oil cap leaking,used a diff o ring and fixed prob
Sorry for my ignorance, but can you explain what that would do in regards to the stalling issue I've experienced?

Update 6/5/15: had my bike's first service performed yesterday and besides the regular oil change, chain tension check, checking all fittings, etc., there were two updates done to the ECU (fuel mapping being the primary update). They said that should take care of the stalling issue and I noticed a marked improvement. It is so much smoother than before even sub 3K rpm range (not that any of you would go there, but......)

Last edited by disco35; June 5th, 2015 at 08:53 AM.
disco35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 03:20 PM   #8

Hi there, I’we just bought a new 821 (2019’) and faxing the same problem during the first 600 miles. Did you solvr the problem meanwhile? Thank you.
Zsombor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 07:54 PM   #9

Hi,
I’ve also had the same issue about 7 times in 18 months. Just make sure ur Ducati service centre investigates the problem and takes notes so this can be sent to Ducati. You then have a history logged even if the problem is not resolved before warranty expiry.
I don’t get any fuel or engine lights just when down shifting engine shuts off. Only when clutch is pulled in.
I had multiple cold resets done (whatever it is they do .. I’m no mechanic) only last week. Bike was in the shop for 3 weeks nothing found and doesn’t happen when they take test rides.
Only ridden once after the resets and no issue will keep u posted.
Let me know what you hear, surely if they are getting the same info sent to them from around the world they can piece it together
Zsombor likes this.
Gabbin is offline   Reply With Quote