Rizoma 22mm bars MA001B mods and Happy - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Ducati Monster Forums > Ducati Monster 821

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2016, 01:54 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Rizoma 22mm bars MA001B mods and Happy

I was doing a lot of research on gaining a little rise for my handlebars and getting a better fit for myself with the 821. I'm 5'6" and the stock handlebars felt a little too low and too wide for me. I saw on the forums that someone installed 2 inch ROX risers with their stock bars so I decided to try that first. But the ROX risers then felt to high and still too wide and too far of a reach to the grips for me. Also the ROX risers made the handling of the bike seem off and odd at lower speed turns and maneuvers.

So then I was deciding between another rider's 22mm bar set up or the tapered bar route.

Rizoma 22mm bars MA001 https://amsducati.com/rizoma-22mm-handlebar
with
cnc +20mm risers
Ducati*Monster 1200,Monster 821

or getting Rizoma tapered bars
https://amsducati.com/rizoma-tapered-handlebar
with
Rizoma risers
https://amsducati.com/rizoma-ducati-...ndlebar-risers

But I thought it would be harder to figure out the rise of the bar that I was looking for. Since these Rizoma risers do not have added height. When I contacted Rizoma to ask height/rise questions I got this response:

the term riser is a little misleading because people think is a figure over stock.

The figures you have are total height, please check what your stock riser is.
For instance my stock riser on my 796 was 55mm.
So when I switched to AZ402B (42mm) it lowered the bar, but the term riser is correct.

The MA011 (closest to stock) is recommended for your bike.
The MA006 would fit but you may have to adjust your steering stops so the bar doesn't hit the tank.
Also keep in mind the cabling, to make sure you don't have any binding when turning from left to right.

When I was asking around, nobody could tell me the stock height of the 821 clamps and bars. So I felt going the Rizoma riser with tapered bar route would be too much of a guessing game.

So I pulled the trigger and got the option that had satisfied another forum rider, MJPTexas, and I'm very happy with the results. It now has a little added rise making it more comfortable and still has a sporty feel. The risers add +20mm. The bars say they are 45mm height. With the bend of the bars I don't really know the actual specs. But the handling feels sporty and great. The grips are more narrow and with the bend I have a much better reach and fit. I had my dealer install them and I was there for the fitting before he drilled the bars to set the controls. I was able to feel how I wanted the bar positioned and how the clutch and brakes were positioned. The bar can be rolled forward or back to your liking and the controls can be positioned higher or lower to your liking. The service guy also adjusted the stops so the bar doesn't have an issue hitting the tank. I only noticed the stops adjustment once so far... walking the bike pushing with my feet back and forth to maneuver the bike past a wall. A 3 point slow tight turn in a parking lot. I thought I had a bit more radius but I didn't. I was moving slow and it wasn't an issue, more so just becoming familiar with the radius handling. And riding I can't be more happier with the handling of my Monster. I can dive into corners like stock - which I couldn't dive into corners with the 2" ROX risers. I also have CRG adjustable levers installed because I have small hands. So with all of these mods along with my CRG arrow mirrors, I'm so happy with my Monster now. And I had to ugly up the bars a bit with my RAM phone mount. It's just too damn handy to have for GPS etc.

I also added Speedy Moto frame sliders and rear slider spools that can also be used to put the bike on a stand.

Also a shout out to PaulM821, I added his Wolfman Peak Tail Bag zip tie mod and it works like a champ.

Cheers!

and those of you that have the Stripe with the windscreen or you've added a windscreen, with this set up and adding rise, you need to remove the windscreen. So I had to order the plastic cover for the back of my speedo console since the Stripe model does not include this piece. If you look under the windscreen, you'll see wires.

Reminder the MA011 is similar to the 821 stock bar so it doesn't have more rise. The MA001 has more rise.

Rizoma 22mm bars MA001B (the black bars) https://amsducati.com/rizoma-22mm-handlebar
with
cnc +20mm risers
Ducati*Monster 1200,Monster 821
Attached Images

Jack308 and calista241 like this.

Last edited by gopam; April 20th, 2016 at 01:58 PM.
gopam is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old April 20th, 2016, 02:34 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Wow. Great info, thank you for sharing. Bike looks awesome, too.
gopam likes this.
Motosonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 02:50 PM   #3

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 796 ABS]

Nice...! and timely, I'm just now looking at the Rizoma bar for my M796. If you are 5'6" and think stock is uncomfortable, try being 6'2"... Good info there! I was pretty confused by the plethora of bar/riser/triple combos, none of which are cheap. I'm looking for as much rise as I can get without replumbing anything... I think the Rizoma bar is the answer.

2013 M796 ABS in Artic White
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)
Charlie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 03:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie98 View Post
Nice...! and timely, I'm just now looking at the Rizoma bar for my M796. If you are 5'6" and think stock is uncomfortable, try being 6'2"... Good info there! I was pretty confused by the plethora of bar/riser/triple combos, none of which are cheap. I'm looking for as much rise as I can get without replumbing anything... I think the Rizoma bar is the answer.
A couple of the guys on the forums that like the 2 inch ROX risers on their 821s are 6' and taller. Not sure if their height plays a part in liking the handling of the bike with 2 inch risers. I just discovered it didn't work for me.
rogueraptor likes this.
gopam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 03:06 PM   #5

I have some black Rizoma touring bars (fat version) if anyone is interested in purchasing them...previous owner already had them on the bike when I got it. They are already drilled for 821 controls.
mrmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 01:45 AM   #6

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Hi gopam,

It's been some time since you went for your MA001B & CNC +20mm setup. Do you still have the same setup and how are your thoughts since the mod?
Appreciate your feedback.

Last edited by dvdlock; October 25th, 2016 at 05:20 AM.
dvdlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 06:00 AM   #7

where did you get the speedy moto sliders? expensive?
Old October 25th, 2016, 05:22 AM   #8

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Anyone tried Rizoma MA009 tapered handlebar with AZ202 Riser?

Old October 26th, 2016, 09:48 AM   #9

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]
[Monster 821]

I'm 5'6" and think the stock bars on the 821 are a tad too high and wide for me.
I want something more similar to the stock 796, which is what I came from...

Any ideas?

And, of course, I'm currently researching online and reading forums.
wolfpack65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 06:55 AM   #10

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack65 View Post
I'm 5'6" and think the stock bars on the 821 are a tad too high and wide for me.
I want something more similar to the stock 796, which is what I came from...

Any ideas?

And, of course, I'm currently researching online and reading forums.
Ideas? OK. You could shorten your stock bars a bit. I took 20mm from each end. Made a big difference for me. You will need to redrill the location holes. Before redrilling.....
Slacken your riser clamp screws and roll your bar round a bit. That will lower it but will also shorten the reach. If you find a position you are comfortable with you can go ahead to drill the holes.

Edit: Oh, and check the bars new position doesn't hit the tank. If the are close or touching readjust the steering stops.

Last edited by dvdlock; October 27th, 2016 at 07:02 AM.
Old October 27th, 2016, 07:30 AM   #11

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]
[Monster 821]

Had a new rear tire installed yesterday on the bike.

Asked about different bars and the guys at the dealership suggested turning the bars a little first.

That does lower them to where I want, but it also affected the turn in/steering stops.
Those were adjusted; all done by the Ducati mechanic.

I like the lowered part, but don't like the shortened reach or the new steering stops.

Ordered the Rizoma Drag bars & associated risers.
Will be putting these on as soon as I get them.
Old October 27th, 2016, 08:41 AM   #12

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

That's generally the problem with lower bars. The drag bars will certainly help to overcome the problem. But your reach will be stretched given the bars don't curve in towards you. You will be able to back off on the steering stops a good bit. As the Rizoma drag bar is 29mm you do need to change the risers. If its the AZ202 riser it will be a bit higher than stock, about 10mm if I recall. As a guess with no rise in the bar you would be lower by say 40mm. The the 10mm gain in height from the risers you'll be around 30mm lower than stock. But the reach to the grips will be quite a bit more than you are used to.
The setup @gopam has in the pictures is pretty much what I want to achieve but I can't find the CNC riser here in Thailand mail order with shipping and import tax put them at a rediculous price.
So I am going to try the Rizoma MA001 bar in the stock mounts to start with and if not happy try the MA009 fat bar and AZ202 risers. Available but not cheap.

Old October 27th, 2016, 01:32 PM   #13

I would recommend the rizoma ma011 bar instead of drag bar for 5'6" rider. I'm 5'6" and the issue with the drag bar is it felt too far forward in tight manouvers when the bars are turned lock to lock.
The ma011 is a good compromise. But your hands do sit at least 1" further forward and a little lower then stock bar. Ive got mine in about the +1 position.
Watky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2016, 01:26 PM   #14

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]
[Monster 821]

Actually, I have the drag bars installed and components re-installed.
Even though I'm 5'6", the reach and drop are fine with me.
I guess I have a longer upper body and this works for me, I think.

I have had an issue after installation of all parts...
It will not start now - the Kill Switch thinks it's still on.
Maybe due to the electrical tape under the switch?
Or maybe due to the screw that fell out?
IDK.

Sigh.

I'll get it figured out, has to be something pretty simple...
I hope.

Here are a few pictures of the bars & such.

Old October 31st, 2016, 02:26 AM   #15

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

I looks great. I think these bars are next on my wish list!

Is the No. 33 a nod to Marco Melandri on a Ducati next season?

Neil
Rizoma Spy R mirrors
Project SC Conic exhaust
Rizoma pegs
Evotech frame sliders
was: Rizoma MA015B bars
now: Renthal Superbike bars
Racing stoplocks
R&G fork and engine case sliders
Previous bikes:
'03 Suzuki GSXR600K2
'96 Honda RVF400