Need a new riding jacket... leather or textile? - Page 3 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > General Discussion > Gear

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 27th, 2016, 03:11 PM   #31
Banned

No ducatis in the registry

Jackets

I own 10 Alpinestar leather jackets,,they are pricey but just about the best in the business,,if price does matter,,I also can recommend Sidici, I own 2 of their leather jackets,,I like them,,they are cheaper then the Alpines,,,I also would recommend Dianese,,,I own 2 of their jackets,,all leather,,very good good quality,,but expensive,,I prefer leather to textile,,just my 2 cents
f1nxlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old December 27th, 2016, 03:16 PM   #32

I bought an alpinestar jacket and got to wear it less then 10 times and the stitching is falling apart. I'm glad I have a bomb ass dealer that is making it right but my next one will not start with an A!!!!
RNJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 04:55 PM   #33
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNJ12 View Post
I bought an alpinestar jacket and got to wear it less then 10 times and the stitching is falling apart. I'm glad I have a bomb ass dealer that is making it right but my next one will not start with an A!!!!

I bought a used two piece alpinestar off of CL. It held up very well considering the age, it also performed outstanding in my crash. You might of got a lemon or maybe their quality is slipping.
Old December 27th, 2016, 05:23 PM   #34

I believe older alpinestar is amazing. Much of what I read is alpinestar customer service really took the slide down and now by the time you pay to ship something back and then the return it's a lost cause unless it's a $2500 suit. My jacket was $150 (closeout) and my dealer said bring it back and we will get you something else. I'm going to jump on that for a better deal on a better jacket.
Tchase likes this.
RNJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 05:46 PM   #35

From my experience A-stars is hit or miss. I'm currently riding in gp-tech gloves (got them on closeout for the price of gp-pros) and I'm coming from a pair of gp-pros that I've put well over 20k miles on and still hold up perfectly. They've been through all kinds of weather too. I have a buddy who bought a pair (of gp-pros) and the velcro came off within a few thousand miles with no weather but Missouri sun. I also have an a-stars gp tech jacket and some of the older gen super tech r boots. All of my gear has been amazing so far. If I crash I'll post pics over all the gear so we can see how well it holds up!
1198rider14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 09:11 PM   #36
Court Jester

It's not uncommon for brands to have their issues. Im in the hunt for a new suit and I will probably try dainese. It's really just to try another brand, the alpinestar fits pretty good but it's also a 2 piece I'm going to try a one piece next.
Old December 28th, 2016, 03:44 AM   #37

+1 on the hit or miss issue with brand name riding gear.
I've had an issue with a pair of Astars leather pants opening up at a seam and once had a pair of SIDI boots fall apart the first week I wore them. I thought both of these were more the unusual case than anything else and I just think it's possible to get a single bad product out of a line of x number.

My favorite riding jacket last year was an ICON Automag Factory Akrapovic perforated leather. That jacket was just so comfortable I think I wore it out.
RNJ12 likes this.
dk1six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 08:42 AM   #38

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]
[1199]

Tchase.. If you're looking for a new suit, give RS Taichi a try. I used Daines for 10 years, Alpinestars for 6 month, and have been with Taichi for the past 5 years. They fit great, and the mobility and protection are top notch.

I think Skagit Powersports in Burlington is a dealer.
Tchase likes this.

Past Ducs:
2012 848 evo Corse SE
yzfr6i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 08:26 AM   #39

ducatis in the registry:
[848 EVO]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchase View Post
It's not uncommon for brands to have their issues. Im in the hunt for a new suit and I will probably try dainese. It's really just to try another brand, the alpinestar fits pretty good but it's also a 2 piece I'm going to try a one piece next.
take a look at Comet leathers, you can get a very nice custom suit for a very good price.
cbr6 is offline   Reply With Quote