How To: Factory Pro Shift Kit Installation - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > General Discussion > How-tos

Like Tree32Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2014, 11:26 AM   #1
Senior Member

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

 
Charles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 522
How To: Factory Pro Shift Kit Installation

I installed the Factory Pro Hybrid Ceramic Shift Kit a couple of weeks ago and just got around to finishing a How To video.

This is a great upgrade that makes a significant difference on how my 09' 848 shifts. Tighter, smoother and more precise are three words that I would use to describe the final result. And absolutely no false neutrals to date; (I've ridden both on the street and at the track so far).

Enjoy:


Full URL: https://youtu.be/c3QXwB9UROA

.
technoracer, davil, bigM and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Charles; August 17th, 2019 at 08:03 AM.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old May 27th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #2
Senior Member

No ducatis in the registry

 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Posts: 550
what does it actually do?
danielo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:03 PM   #3
Senior Member

ducatis in the registry:
[1199]

 
DLIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 457
Wow. Impressive video man. Thanks for the hard work creating that puppy.
GregColeman81 likes this.
DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:37 PM   #4
Senior Member

No ducatis in the registry

 
bstar360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,476
Why is the factory pro better than stock?
Looks like the stock has a bearing on it the same as the pro.
Just curious as to what makes it better?

Last edited by bstar360; May 27th, 2014 at 08:01 PM.
bstar360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 02:31 AM   #5
Senior Member

No ducatis in the registry

 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Posts: 550
From the installation guide from the Factory Pro website, it says the shiftier should feel smoother but with more effort.
danielo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #6
Senior Member

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

 
Charles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post
what does it actually do?
If your talking about the detent arm, I believe it helps to keep the gearbox drum in place when you select a gear. The Ducati manual refers to it as the 'Gear Stop Lever,' if I'm reading it correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
Wow. Impressive video man. Thanks for the hard work creating that puppy.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstar360 View Post
Why is the factory pro better than stock?
Looks like the stock has a bearing on it the same as the pro.
Just curious as to what makes it better?
The Factory Pro piece (the one I installed), has a 'Hybrid Ceramic Micro Bearing.' I didn't actually see a big difference on the arm or the bearing. In my opinion, it's all about the spring. Heavier Duty with more spring tension. Some one at Factory Pro -- or some one here with more knowledge might have a better answer.

The bottom line for me is, now when I shift it's a much more confident feeling over the stock set up. And, to date, no false neutrals with 4 track days since the installation.
Warp Racer likes this.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Senior Member

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

 
Charles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post
From the installation guide from the Factory Pro website, it says the shiftier should feel smoother but with more effort.
Danielo, yes, I would say this is accurate; but, the extra effort is negligible, and after 30 minutes of riding you won't even notice it any more.

Last edited by Charles; May 28th, 2014 at 11:05 AM.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #8
Member

No ducatis in the registry

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 99
Very nice video. I was planning on doing this at the 15,000 mile service. I am at 11,000 miles now and she's starting to feel a bit sloppy.
MonsterMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #9
Member

No ducatis in the registry

 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If your talking about the detent arm, I believe it helps to keep the gearbox drum in place when you select a gear. The Ducati manual refers to it as the 'Gear Stop Lever,' if I'm reading it correctly.



Thank you!



The Factory Pro piece (the one I installed), has a 'Hybrid Ceramic Micro Bearing.' I didn't actually see a big difference on the arm or the bearing. In my opinion, it's all about the spring. Heavier Duty with more spring tension. Some one at Factory Pro -- or some one here with more knowledge might have a better answer.

The bottom line for me is, now when I shift it's a much more confident feeling over the stock set up. And, to date, no false neutrals with 4 track days since the installation.
The stock detent arm has a riveted roller bushing on it - the harder the detent spring pushes it, the more friction it creates.

The Factory Pro detent arm has a hybrid ceramic microbearing - tough steel outer races and low friction ceramic balls.

The F-Pro detent arm spring is slightly stronger than the stock spring. You can use a stronger spring because the microbearing doesn't appreciably increase rolling friction with more pressure like the stock roller does (in the load conditions that our shift mechanism experiences).

So, less rotational friction, slightly more downforce = a shift drum that rotates quicker and doesn't hang up between gears.

Charles! Excellent video!

Marc Salvisberg
Warp Racer, VJ020, WERA689 and 2 others like this.
marc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #10
Administrator

No ducatis in the registry

 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,801
I'll be damned....welcome to the site, Marc! I hadn't seen you post before!
cbr6 likes this.
WERA689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #11
Senior Member

ducatis in the registry:
[1098 S]

 
pat1098's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Adelaide South Australia
Posts: 6,759
Top work (again!) Charles.

So where did you buy the Factory detent arm kit?

Might have to slip one into mine, while I'm going through the engine.

My gearchange is still fine, after a fair few miles, but always happy to improve it!
pat1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #12
Senior Member

No ducatis in the registry

 
bstar360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,476
I think Motowheels has them Pat.
There are two types
bstar360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #13
Member

No ducatis in the registry

 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
I'll be damned....welcome to the site, Marc! I hadn't seen you post before!
Well, this forum is so perfect that nobody needed help. lol!
cbr6 likes this.
marc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #14
Member

No ducatis in the registry

 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstar360 View Post
I think Motowheels has them Pat.
There are two types
There's 2 levels of detent arm and spring Pro Shift kits. One has a steel raced hybrid ceramic bearing on the arm and the other has a less expensive steel bearing. Both use the same F-Pro shift spring.

There's another shift mod, too.
It's a slightly softer shift lever return spring. I think Duc shift levers are too stiffly hung. Being too stiff makes it hard to find the little neutral slot.
And, the F-Pro shifter lever return spring is shotpeened and heat treated to prevent breaking. I think every 2000 and later Duc owner should carry a spare in their tool kit.
Installs on the left side of the bike and requires flywheel and shift shaft removal and shifter adjusting.
Available from many vendors.

Marc Salvisberg
marc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 05:05 AM   #15
Senior Member

ducatis in the registry:
[848]

 
Charles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc99 View Post
The stock detent arm has a riveted roller bushing on it - the harder the detent spring pushes it, the more friction it creates.

The Factory Pro detent arm has a hybrid ceramic microbearing - tough steel outer races and low friction ceramic balls.

The F-Pro detent arm spring is slightly stronger than the stock spring. You can use a stronger spring because the microbearing doesn't appreciably increase rolling friction with more pressure like the stock roller does (in the load conditions that our shift mechanism experiences).

So, less rotational friction, slightly more downforce = a shift drum that rotates quicker and doesn't hang up between gears.

Charles! Excellent video!

Marc Salvisberg
Thanks Marc -- it's good to hear a detailed explanation. This is a great product that does make a shifting difference... and I still haven't had any false neutrals since the installation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat1098 View Post
Top work (again!) Charles.

So where did you buy the Factory detent arm kit?

Might have to slip one into mine, while I'm going through the engine.

My gearchange is still fine, after a fair few miles, but always happy to improve it!
Pat, like Bstar stated, I purchased mine from Motowheels. This would be an easy job for you. Loading up the spring tension on the crankcase rib is the trickiest part. But, like I state in the video I found snugging the bolt down some before loading it up helps a lot.

Let us know what you think if you install one...
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Search tags for this page
ducati 848 shift mechanism upgrade
,

ducati detent arm replacement

,

ducati factory pro shift kit

,
ducati shift return spring
,
ducati shift shaft return spring
,
ducati updated gearchange lever spring
,
ducati updated shift mechanism
,
factory pro ceramic shifter kit
,

factory pro shift kit

,

how to change the gearchange return spring on a ducati 1098

Click on a term to search for related topics.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.