Tires....so may choices - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Remember me
Login  |   Register

ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts > Other Models > HyperMotard

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Buhgaboo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 14th, 2018, 05:26 PM   #1

No ducatis in the registry

Tires....so may choices

Just picked up a new to me '14 Hypermotard SP. Needs new skins and I'm not sure what to go with. I am not planning on track days, just spirited rides on the street. Mostly riding in the NY tri-state area.

A little help goes a long way.
14HyperSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old December 14th, 2018, 06:31 PM   #2

ducatis in the registry:
[916]

Free Magnesium Wheels

How about a free front magnesium wheel with your next tire purchase?

Consider this:

3.5 x 17 Wheel Weights:

Ducati OEM aluminum 5-spoke .... 9.25 lbs
Marchesini magnesium 5-spoke ... 6.80 lbs
Weight Savings ................. 2.45 lbs

120/70ZR17 Tire Weights (Sport Rider Magazine June 2002)

Dunlop D207RR ............... 10.44 lbs
Pirelli Super Corsa............. 8.38 lbs
Weight Savings ................. 2.06 lbs

Dunlop D207RR ............... 10.44 lbs
Bridgestone BT-010 .......... 8.81 lbs
Weight Savings ................. 1.63 lbs

This seemingly small weight difference between the heaviest Dunlops and the lighter Bridgestones is even more important than a larger weight savings at the wheel.

Simply stated, the rotational inertia of a wheel or tire is proportional to the square of the distance the weight is placed from the axle. Because of this square-effect, the tire weight has more effect on the rotational inertia of the wheel-tire combination mainly because of its somewhat greater distance from the axle.

Consequently, a 1.6 - 2 lbs. lighter front tire will give you the same handling improvement that you get by switching from an aluminum to a magnesium wheel.

Looking at it another way, you can negate the handling benefits of expensive light weight wheels by switching to a heavier tire.

This is also the best argument for choosing aftermarket wheels that have carbon fiber rims. When compared to all-magnesium wheels with the same weight, a carbon fiber rimmed wheel will have significantly lower rotational inertia that results in improved acceleration and handling.

(The similar construction of rear tires results in weight savings of less than a pound so you'll see a lesser improvement effect there.)

I'm not saying that tires should be chosen based on weight alone but given the very similar performance of high performance street tires, why not take the free mag wheel?
Shazaam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2018, 06:07 AM   #3

Thanks for the response. Appreciate the time and effort.

More specifically, what tires are guys that have the same type of bike using and would recommend for street use in the North East.
14HyperSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2018, 08:08 PM   #4

ducatis in the registry:
[Monster 821]

Michelin Power RS for the win... while it melts away on track ; its amazing grip and longevity on the road are something to be experienced
chevy.au likes this.
Buhgaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2018, 06:02 PM   #5

I am a fan of the metzler m7rr tires. They are dual compound. Hard in the center and medium/soft off center. Ling life with good life for day to day.

I am curious about this free mag wheel. I understand the weight that was explained but is a Magnesium rim being offered for free with some tire purchase?
Araitim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 04:09 PM   #6

I’d point you to Mich Pilot Road 4..... I have a 2010 HYM 796..... after my original Bridg Battlaxe’s went away in 4K miles I put on Mich Pilot Road 2’s...... put 15k on them and they hardly looked worn.... had service done at plus 20k miles.... I did Not dick around I found best deal I could on Mich Pilots.... version 4 They grip they turn well they make the cracks in Road disappear... And they Last!!!

H
hoveyh is offline   Reply With Quote